Default Reading magazines backwards

Is it type-related? [The dichotomy I was thinking of is Process/Result]

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Is it type-related? [The dichotomy I was thinking of is Process/Result]
    I think the descriptions are subject to interpretation. I'm pretty sure I'm a process type.

I tend to read the beginning and end of a book, and then random passages within, because if I can reverse engineer the content between the points that I read, then I believe I have a good understanding of the logic analysis presented in the book. This also helps me figure out if there is some bs where someone makes a leap after buttering you up for a few chapters. This is usually quite displeasing to me, it's the anatomy of a confidence game.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do it. I read threads backwards too.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I was about 12 when my Mom caught me reading a magazine backwards, and she said, "You do that, too?" Apparently she'd been teased about it a few times, so it was something she liked to more or less keep secret (weird thing to keep secret, huh?). Now I'm wondering if I came to the habit for my own reasons or if I noticed her doing it and copied.

I've known a few people who flip through mags from back to front because they claim there are too many ads in the front and all the really substantive articles are in the back. But I just do it 'cause it feels right to me.

Fiction books I read from front to back. I love the unfolding of a story, and always regret looking ahead. I think hkkmr may be mainly referring to nonfiction, in which case I can understand his method. I will sometimes scan the first page of each chapter if I'm trying to decide whether a nonfiction book is worth reading all the way through. I agree that sometimes authors seem to play manipulative games with readers; if I'm seeking unbiased information, this is a big turnoff. I think the last book I lost interest in this way was Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ. That book was such a pile of blatantly illogical emotional appeals dressed up to look like well-researched discourse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    Fiction books I read from front to back. I love the unfolding of a story, and always regret looking ahead. I think hkkmr may be mainly referring to nonfiction, in which case I can understand his method. I will sometimes scan the first page of each chapter if I'm trying to decide whether a nonfiction book is worth reading all the way through. I agree that sometimes authors seem to play manipulative games with readers; if I'm seeking unbiased information, this is a big turnoff. I think the last book I lost interest in this way was Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ. That book was such a pile of blatantly illogical emotional appeals dressed up to look like well-researched discourse.
    I apply it to fiction too. I enjoy spoilers.

When I do this, my imagination can go a little crazy with the middle.
    It's more fun this way for me.

The same sort of thing apply for non-fiction tho, someone like J.J Abrams who use devices like deus-ex machina and time travel to explain away his inconsistencies is a bit boring to me.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    I think I was about 12 when my Mom caught me reading a magazine backwards, and she said, "You do that, too?" Apparently she'd been teased about it a few times, so it was something she liked to more or less keep secret (weird thing to keep secret, huh?). Now I'm wondering if I came to the habit for my own reasons or if I noticed her doing it and copied.
    I read magazines backwards too, and people have commented on it a few times... one time I was in a doctor's waiting area and started flipping through a magazine backwards, and the little kid came over and asked me why I was reading it that way... made me wonder if adults thought it was weird as well, but I kept on flipping back-to-front anyway.

I've known a few people who flip through mags from back to front because they claim there are too many ads in the front and all the really substantive articles are in the back. But I just do it 'cause it feels right to me.
    That's why I started doing it; the front is usually full of fluff.

Fiction books I read from front to back. I love the unfolding of a story, and always regret looking ahead. [...] I will sometimes scan the first page of each chapter if I'm trying to decide whether a nonfiction book is worth reading all the way through.
    +1

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really have a reason why I read magazines or threads backwards. It just sort of happens. Sometimes I'll read pages or articles even in the wrong direction, as in, I read the last paragraph, then I read the paragraph before it and so on. And that's basically what I do when I read posts backwards. I read the most recent post, then the one above that, and so on.

But I don't do it because I know there's more "material" in the back or I'm not the kind of person where I'm too curious and I feel like I have to read the end of a non-fiction or fiction book and fill in the middle details. For those kinds of things I'm strictly linear. But like opinion pieces or just interesting articles or topics, it doesn't really matter to me.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

For novels, I will read them front to back and not jump around. For non-fiction, I'll skip around a bit more because I'm reading primarily to get certain pieces of information.

I often read magazines backwards. The articles are not related to each other so the order of reading them doesn't matter. Would left-handed people be more likely do to this? I'm a lefty.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm right-handed.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx