Thread: Desire to do it right

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Desire to do it right

Hi everyone,

I've noticed a tendency in myself - a desire to do it right, a desire to get it right. I was sincerely hoping if anyone might be able to show how a Socionist might look at this and how to rise above it?

Thanks!

James
    Five/Tanzhe

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who wants to get it wrong?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I know where "Five" was going with this.

It's more of a mentality.

Do something or don't do it at all. The desire to do something right is far stronger than doing the task it self.

Am I right ?

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ProcrastinateTomorrow View Post
    I think I know where "Five" was going with this.

It's more of a mentality.

Do something or don't do it at all. The desire to do something right is far stronger than doing the task it self.

Am I right ?

Yes, I'm very much that way myself. I wonder if it ties in with valuing more than because while I care about efficiency, it is more important to me that something is logically consistent and correct in all aspects.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Five/Tanzhe, do you know your socionics type?
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing something 'right' depends on what you view as right. Everyone has their own 'correct' method, as evidenced by the weekly arguments my coworkers engage in over who is not doing their job 'right.'
    IEE

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doing something right depends on what you're doing. Period. How is Ni's right more right than Ti's right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rubicon, your photo reminds me of the shark from Jaws

ProcrastinateTomorrow, you're quite close. I think it's perfectionism. The kind where you go through documents to ensure fonts and letter sizes are all consistent, or where you wonder whether a better or more accurate word to describe Rubicon's "photo" is "avatar"/"image"/"picture" etc. Any thoughts on this?

But another factor is definitely what tiny dancer pointed out - why do you see X as right, whatever X is? In this case, perfectionism sees X as outward behaviour and conformity to a particular standard, I suppose. WHY would you see that as right?

As for my Socionics type - I don't know. Possibly LSI or ESI, according to Expat. But nothing definite.
    Five/Tanzhe

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't give a shit about doing something right. I want to do it in the best looking way, fixed that it must be the quickest (i.e. if we model the production process as a two-variable function, v: speed and q: quality, then I find the maxima for v (inverse of time expenditure) and see what is the maximum q I can obtain in an infinitesimally small neighborhood of there).

This, of course, as long as we're talking about sufficiently trivial-menial tasks.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting it right in the eyes of most people would be when the four functions valued come fully into play and in a balanced way. In socionics terms this is only fully realized when working with a dual.

For ILE-SEI [] "getting it right" say in producing a design requires sufficient freedom to explore the possibilities so as to arrive at an optimum solution that not only does its job but is elegant, simple, streamlined, harmonious to the senses and culturally meaningful.
    ILE

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, "right" means different things to different people. To me, doing something right might mean doing it an intense, creative way. To someone else "right" might mean going by the book, i.e. doing it in a boring predictable way. I dunno... something like that.

The idea that something has to be "just so" with meticulous details in order to be right, is kind of annoying to me. But doing something half-assed is also distasteful. So "right", to me, can mean that whatever you choose to do, you should give it your all and DO it.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah this is mostly a Ti thing. Possibly combined with Ni.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    Who wants to get it wrong?
    This is a common fallacy: having a need and expressing it as an explicit value are two different things. In other words, there are types that might find the very concept of "getting it right" to be flawed (either in theory or in real-life examples). It's not that they "want to get it wrong", it's that they don't see the world in those terms.