Thread: Type my grandparents! (PHOTOS & DESCRIPTION)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type my grandparents! (PHOTOS & DESCRIPTION)

Paternal grandparents.

Married in Arkansas when my Grandma was 16, Grandpa was 31!

Grandpa was life-of-the-party type, according to those who knew him (I never met him) and has become a larger-than-life legend in our family. Guests were always welcome in my grandparents' home. It is said Grandpa held the family together and he had an imposing presence that immediately demanded respect for no apparent reason, according to my mom. Seems like he was a ladies' man of sorts before meeting Grandma. They married after a whirlwind week courtship(!) Grandpa was a lawyer and an avid reader. A Southern-style republican from the old days (so more of a Lincoln republican). Had been World War II, and did things while stationed in Japan like go skinny dipping and get photographed doing so. Snappy dresser.

Grandma was always a traditional-acting "lady" as far as manners go, liked to push embarrassing family stuff under the rug, though not the greatest housekeeper or cook, according to my dad, not very emotionally attentive (he felt he never got enough attention but then he never ever asked for it, just lay there at night waiting for his mom but she rarely read him a story or gave him attention, apparently). Loved to entertain her friends along with her husband, and if she didn't get to do something fun with her husband on the weekends, used to pout and cry in her room during their first years of marriage. Won a teenage beauty contest and was always proud of this, and would show us her picture in the paper from so many years ago. Collected elephant figurines (SO not type-related lol). Liked to work -- had a job until she was in her 70s and died of cancer, but only learned to drive when her husband was dying of cancer himself back in the 70s (he always did all the driving for them, even the grocery shopping).
    She favored her eldest son, one of my uncles, over all her children, no matter what wrongs he perpetrated (and he did). She was always concerned with observing holiday traditions. Snappy dresser - sometimes would wear original or weird jewelry.

EDIT: Oh, one more thing about her -- when Grandpa died, she went off the deep end, trying to basically kill herself by drinking herself into oblivion. She eventually became sober and running a halfway house, which did her and others good. As an older woman, she had two bouts of prescription opiate substance abuse.

ONE more thing... as a little girl, I only got punished by her once. I was too loud playing hide and seek outside (the boys got me to scream in surprise) and because she lived in a controlled community she needed us to be quiet or she'd get complaint calls. So after a warning and I screamed a second time, she brought me inside. Of course I felt this was unfair and started to cry. She just calmly handed me a pillow and said, "Here's something you can cry in." No consolation whatsoever.

But I have lots of warm feelings for her, and in fact thought of her as my "warm Grandma" and my mom's mom was my "Cold Grandma". She was very kind, just not effusive with emotion.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot, so let me know if I need to add stuff (I'm sure a lot of this will not be type-related, but I wanted to give good descriptions).

SLI

Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Ti ego-Grandma N probable
    Fe ego-Grandpa

Best I can do Malia

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I clicked on this thread I was expecting old people, and my answer was going to be "can't tell, they're too wrinkled."

However now that my clever remark is thwarted, I have to say your Grandmother looks like a logical type, and I was also thinking Alpha sensor for your Grandfather, but what do I know?

Originally from black hole, currently residing in Jupiter
    TIM
    EIE-Ni
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if they were duals ESI grandma and LIE grandpa probably..