I recently taught an introductory email course for interested library patrons. I thought I thoroughly prepared for the course. I outlined everything I wanted to cover and made course handouts, with screenshots and step-by-step explanations on setting up an email account, composing messages, and navigating through email.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Yes, I throughly prepared the course content but I overlooked basic things like putting a sign up on the library's computer lab door that there would be a class in session. Then I forgot to bring pencils for the patrons to take notes with. So I had to run back to the reference desk to grab some.

Worse yet, I never properly did the introductions. Just told them my name and just jumped right into the material. Never even did a formal introduction thing where the participants go around the table sharing their name and what they hope to learn from the class. That sort of thing. Typical logical type neglecting the ethical elements.

And worst of all, I wasn't quite prepared for how weak some of the participants computer skills were. I felt I spent more time helping some of them properly use a mouse and keyboard than teaching them about email.

After the alloted 60 minutes for the course, one of the participants walked out in frustration never successfully setting up an email account. Two other participants took a whole hour just to get an email account set up. My goal was to have everyone get an email account set up AND learn email basics such as sending a message, deleting messages, and navigating the inbox and other key folders. That did not happen. Out of six participants, only two of them, managed to succesfully send me an email message, after going 15 minutes overtime to help them do so.

In short, this course was FUBAR. (Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition)

How much of this poor planning on my part is type related?

Is this an INTj thing or not to overestimate the abilities and background knowledge of the participants?