Thread: SLIs-ISTps described as "free spirits"

Creepy-Cyclops

Default SLIs-ISTps described as "free spirits"

Sort of inspired by SSmall's thread.

I attended a family get together this weekend for someones birthday. Anyway an aunt had written a poem about various members of my family (she's actually quite good). I was described as being a 'free spirit', and everyone seemed to agree on this.

I wonder if being a 'free spirit' is something that others see in ISTp's, and maybe see it more than in other types as well? Maybe ENFp's would be described as 'free spirits' too?

It kinda suprised me, because I see myself as typically grounded and practical, but when I think about it from others peoples perspectives i'm not really tied down, am kinda mysterious and maybe being regarded as a free spirit is a necessary consequence?

Do others see this sort of thing in ISTp's?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think ISTps prob have more potential to be seen as free spirits than other types, but it doesn't mean they all are.

I just met one who seemed kinda stick-in-the-mud and hadn't changed anything in his life in over 10 years.

But I dunno, I feel like I could argue either side of it. On one hand, it may look to others like ISTps are free spirits, and maybe they are -- my ISTp friend just quit her job, went back to school, got a job at a bar -- all within 2 days. But I think she was actually planning it in her mind for some time. So I have no idea.

But generally, ISTps seems like they would have more stability and prefer somewhat "known" things. Which is why they like ENFps, who bring them out of that. I feel like I've known some ISTps who are resistent (at least at first) to some of my random ideas. But yet, when they decide to do something, they seem to take action fast.

Not being tied down I guess is something both ISTps and ENFps strive for, as far as keeping as many options open as possible. Or at least having the room to change your mind without being forced to stick to a certain path...and this is why I don't have a PhD of course...

So in conclusion, I dunno.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you know I don't know any female ISTp's in real life. A few ISTp males I know I would consider "free spirits". Usually they do something, somewhere, somehow and I rarely know what, not really that tied down to people or places.

I know one who travels quite a lot, works also quite a lot and basically just travels to places he thinks are interesting with his dog. He has friends, he has girlfriends but he is sort of not tied down or attached to either. Or for better word it appears like he doesn't even care that much about either, but in reality it is not true, just it appears like that.

One I know just sort of says "Lets meet in a month". I'm like "Ok... Oo". And then a month passes and he calls, surprises me every time, he is sort of neither in or out of my life. I don't consider him a friend, just a person I know but we have fun every time we meet.

Either way, to me they seem distant and a bit mysterious, yes.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is too funny. I've been having really deep discussions with a possible ISTp about his free-spiritedness. I viewed him as a free-spirit as well and he corrected me by telling me all the responsibilities and obligations that he fulfills. Then said he was only 'partially' free. It actually surprised me a little.

I think a perfect balance between being free and being responsible is something every Delta member strives to attain.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MaliaFee View Post
    I do. I used to want ISTps above all for this reason (before I understood type relations). Really exciting personality type, imo.
    Just wait till you're stuck in a room with me. You'll change your mind.

But, to bring something to this discussion:

I hate routine. My problem is that I easily get myself stuck in routines. I like, eh, LOVE people who can bust me out of my routines. And it never takes much cajoling either, sometimes someone asking me "I wonder if..." is all it takes.

So, I suppose I could be seen as both a stick in the mud and a free spirit. A free spirit who likes to change peoples locks to lock them in their own house and accidentally set my friends foot on fire (sorry buddy).

To me it's all about balance. Just the right amount of freedom.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    I hate routine. My problem is that I easily get myself stuck in routines. I like, eh, LOVE people who can bust me out of my routines. And it never takes much cajoling either, sometimes someone asking me "I wonder if..." is all it takes.
    Totally. I hate it when it comes to a point that I become the one to start suggesting things and ask people "I wonder if..." cause then I'm just fucking desperate that there's no one interesting around and I try to replace what's missing by myself. Like I'm trying to be my dual or something.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Totally. I hate it when it comes to a point that I become the one to start suggesting things and ask people "I wonder if..." cause then I'm just fucking desperate that there's no one interesting around and I try to replace what's missing by myself. Like I'm trying to be my dual or something.
    Yeah, and my suggestions are usually nowhere near as interesting or prolific as anyone else's. You can only wonder how that toaster is made so many times before you start suggesting real desperate shit.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if I came up with a good idea, it mostly happens that no one is fucking interested, and this makes me even more desperate and close to going mad.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys just gave me a new idea. THANKS.

And yeah, I agree with SLIs being stuck in routines. It's rather difficult to pry you out of them. Is the world going to fall in if you don't clean your deck RIGHT NOW? NO. I haven't washed my dishes in 3 weeks and I'm still alive.

(j/k - I'm not *that* messy)
    IEE

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    (j/k - I'm not *that* messy)
    I am
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Yeah, and my suggestions are usually nowhere near as interesting or prolific as anyone else's. You can only wonder how that toaster is made so many times before you start suggesting real desperate shit.
    LOL. see, I would never ever wonder about something as useful as how a toaster is made!

I overheard someone say "hey, cold cut!" on the street yesterday and I spent a really long time wondering about that. Was it a nickname? And if so, why does "cold cut" sounds so lame, when "ice cube" sounds fine...other items in the fridge also make for bad nicknames.

I am totally procrastinating...arg...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Even if I came up with a good idea, it mostly happens that no one is fucking interested, and this makes me even more desperate and close to going mad.
    I'm sure your ideas were good. Maybe all your friends are depressed or lazy. Give them some caffeine!

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was bored the other day so I made my friend drive his car backwards for about 2 miles or so.

We were siting in his car and he was about to drive me home...

Me: You know what would be really fun?
    Friend: What's that?
    Me: If you put the car in reverse and hit the road backwards. And drove like that.
    Friend: *smiles*
    Me: Don't you think it would be fun?
    Friend: Well... I think it'd be a little crazy.
    Me: It'd be fun. You're a great driver, and there's very little traffic around here atm... Why don't we try?
    Friend: What? Tell me you're joking.
    Me: No, I'm serious. You could drive me home like that, we're like less than 2 miles away from my place.
    Friend: No way, man. That's crazy.
    Me: Oh, c'mon! Why not? It'd be great. Just need to be a bit more careful and drive slower, that's all! It would be fun. *grin*
    Friend: Man, I don't know... *makes funny faces that are supposed to show how absurd he thinks my idea was*
    Me: Come on, man, it would be awesome. Just move to the left side of the road and then perhaps we could use the mirrors... You're not being a chicken now, are you?
    ...short pause...
    Me: Please?
    Friend: *sets the car in position*

And we drove like that all the way to my place. At one point he wanted to stop and turn around but I didn't let him, lol. When we arrived he was like "You're so not riding with me again..."

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    By the way --

That may be relevant to the original question.

I wouldn't call myself a free spirit, and I doubt anyone else would, but I think that quote sums up the essence of what I'm about.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    By the way --

That may be relevant to the original question.
    I actually had that quote as my signature a while back.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FMH, you're back? Nice. I don't think i've ever been called a free spirit..and I don't think people get that impression of me. It's more like being that person that sits in the corner and doesn't really care about much. ha

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    FMH, you're back? Nice.
    Likewise, Jessica. I just read through your military thread and am happy to hear you made it through boot camp okay!
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread recalls the recent one about laziness & SLIs. When I look at the statistics of my life, they're quite alarming: I've moved 25 times in 15 years, had more jobs than I can count in several different industries, I'm on my 9th car, I'm currently enrolled in my fourth attempt at college ...

But looking closer, many of my moves were within the same area; most of my jobs have been through temp agencies where they were only scheduled to last a short time, and most of my career-hopping has been short-lived because the jobs just didn't fucking pay a living wage (or just weren't suited to me: when I was an exotic dancer the pay was great!); I keep going back & forth between efficient subcompact cars and live-in-able vans (one was an honest RV, with a bathroom & generator & everything); and I'm a straight-A student, but my low tolerance for bullshit keeps finding me flipping the bird at my school instead of re-enrolling for a second semester.

Through the 15 years of my adult life, I have only intermittently and for relatively short periods actually *felt* like a free spirit. Only once have I ever fallen behind on my bills (and that's a whole story I won't go into here), so I obviously take my responsibilities seriously.

I can say that being more of a free spirit appeals to me, however. I'm always imagining the bare-bones treks I could take once I get my ass out of debt, such as picking fruit in New Zealand, interning on organic farms in Europe, hitchhiking between communes (which exist throughout the US and in many places the world over) ... or something. ANYTHING! (did I just say that out loud?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI