Thread: Identifying with broken things

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Identifying with broken things

I think this was a question on a MBTI test or something. I've always considered it such an odd thing to ask! To ask someone who is gazing far of into the distance if they identify with broken, discarded things...

I would think it's obviously an INFP + E4 thing more than anything else. But the question could be also be asking if you feel sympathy towards such objects, and perhaps there are other interpretations as well.

For me, the question invokes many things, but at the highest level, it represents Life itself and its difficulty at getting up in the mornings sometimes.

Creepy-male

I feel personally disappointed that the thing in question is no longer able to carry out its function, and this fills me with sadness.

But more than that; it is a reminder that things change and are lost. I think this is what makes me sad.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was on an enneagram test btw.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who here see a cup that is half empty or half full? I can be a very pessimistic person and when I first learn about this phrase, which was back in when I was in the 7th grade, I thought about this quite a lot. I literally looked at a half full/empty cup, but i have a hard time looking at it as if the water is almost empty, going down, would be gone with time in an artistic way. When something breaks by accident I get frustrated, how i am missing something now, and urged me to get a replacement more than i should use the money to get something more worthwhile than another replacement. I am a negativist by Socionic terms, and I have seen INFp in real life whose very positive, who never cries, despite not really having much in their life. Some but not all INFp's on this forum I can feel their positive outlook in life just Thur simple posts, and it tells a lot about the state of mind they are in.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah when I had a broken shoulder I totally identified with it
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    What do you mean by this? I am not sure I identify with broken things...?? If something I own breaks, I feel unhappy about it, but I don't feel as if I'm breaking myself. It's rather that I feel that some "wholeness" is gone, if you know what I mean, but it's not to "identify" is it?
    I think this was part of the reason I was befuddled by the question - I don't break something and then identify with it - I am more prone to feel attachment to the concept of broken things! But not necessarily in the sense that I think the broken things are a manifestation of myself - it's more to do with me thinking that broken thing\s are a representation of broken 'things' on a larger scale.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure I identify with broken things .. but I often feel a feeling of relief when something is broken .. because I hate watching the breaking-down process. And fighting that often seems too much effort. So once it's done, things can only get better. Or some clutter is removed from my life, w/e.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    itsp
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was from an Enneagram test. I know it's on the 50 question one at similarminds, for sure.

E4s are supposedly prone to feelings of alienation. If someone were broken in some way, then that might explain why they felt so different from others, or why others had cast them out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    I'm not sure I identify with broken things .. but I often feel a feeling of relief when something is broken .. because I hate watching the breaking-down process. And fighting that often seems too much effort. So once it's done, things can only get better. Or some clutter is removed from my life, w/e.
    I have never heard an ordinary person said this ever. This is like a concept of why things just have to be impermanent. how we have to embrace things not lasting, if things do not break, nothing will be new again, flowers in the forest will not have the chance to grow and keeps us at bay that ultimately it is just not worth it to cringe, but it is worth it to watch and see the process unfolding, WOW SEI are the peaceful NINES Buddhism always preach.
    Last edited by 07490; 05-31-2009 at 08:43 AM.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    I have never heard an ordinary person said this ever. This is like a concept of why things just have to be impermanence, how we have to embrace things not lasting, if things do not break, nothing will be new again, flowers in the forest will not have the chance to grow and keeps us at bay that ultimately it is just not worth it to cringe, but it is worth it to watch and see the process unfolding, WOW SEI are the peaceful NINES Buddhism always preach.
    rotfll
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never heard an ordinary person said this ever.
    This is like a concept of why things just have to be impermanent. how we have to embrace things not lasting, if things do not break, nothing will be new again, flowers in the forest will not have the chance to grow and keeps us at bay that ultimately it is just not worth it to cringe, but it is worth it to watch and see the process unfolding,
    Why is it worth it?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."