Thread: The Autonomic Nervous System and I/E

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Autonomic Nervous System and I/E

Just a little something I found while digging up information on I/E. Much more random information to come in the future.

According to the study by David Lester and Diane Berry (Autonomic nervous system balance and introversion. Perceptual and Motor Skills Dec. 1998 Part 1, Vol. 87 Issue 3, pg. 882), introverts have more balance between their parasympathetic-sympathetic nervous system as opposed to extraverts, where such a balance is indicated by "salivat[ing] a lot versus mouth dry, blood pressure below versus above average, taking things easy versus being on the go, pupils smaller versus larger than average, feel[ing] hungry quite often versus not very often, urinat[ing] frequently versus go[ing] long periods without doing so, and hav[ing] a fairly dry skin versus sweat[ing] alot". Statistically, autonomic nervous system balance has between a moderate and low negative correlation with Extraversion (r = -.30), but one that is enough to show a general predominance of this balance in introverts.

Anyway, I think the results correlate pretty well with our standard definition of Introversion, that is being more sensitive to the dynamics of one's inner, subjective state. An introvert would keep better track of himself, thus consistently striving for a balance in the autonomic nervous system's state. Any comments?
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wut about intjs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Autonomic Nervous System and I/E

Quote Originally Posted by Cone
    Anyway, I think the results correlate pretty well with our standard definition of Introversion, that is being more sensitive to the dynamics of one's inner, subjective state. An introvert would keep better track of himself, thus consistently striving for a balance in the autonomic nervous system's state. Any comments?
    sounds like Si hidden agenda. i don't know if istp's, for example, 'strive' for that same 'balance'. istp's, correct me if i'm wrong.
    lol

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Creepy-

I am fairly edgy, actually. But I put a lot of effort into calming down (this could be because of my ill health, though, what with serotonin). I keep track of myself but it can tend to be ever so slightly neurotic. This is, of course, when I'm not neglecting my health altogether. I have phases sometimes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fever
    this doesn't seem right to me. i know i'm definately an introvert, and my autonomic nervous system always seems out of balance. since i have been 8 years old my hands constantly sweat where it actually drips from my elbows at times. i think this is overactive sympathetic, but i'm not for sure because it happens also when i'm just physically hot and not necessarily nervous.

i would think the theory would be just opposite.
    I'm exactly like what Cone's post says.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with your theory, Cone.

I sweat, I'm dirty and I salivate like a werewolf.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't give me the credit. I didn't write the article.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Autonomic Nervous System and I/E

Such a balance is indicated by:
    - salivat[ing] a lot versus mouth dry
    - blood pressure below versus above average
    - taking things easy versus being on the go
    - pupils smaller versus larger than average
    - feel[ing] hungry quite often versus not very often
    - urinat[ing] frequently versus go[ing] long periods without doing so
    - and hav[ing] a fairly dry skin versus sweat[ing] alot

The ones in bold fit me. I was borderline hypertensive up until three years ago when my blood pressure finally settled down into the normal range. My pupils are larger (and my left pupil is actually shaped like a lockhole due to coloboma, which causes me to see double-vision in that eye when i wear contacts)... but asside from these organic deviations, it seems to be pretty accurate.

Banned
    TIM
    TiNe
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very informative. Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your welcome.

As for the accuracy of the study, these experiments are much less about accurately defining I/E and more about calculating how much it relates to whatever we are correlating it with. According to my calculations, the model is perfectly accurate in about 9% of all cases, where the higher the introversion score, the higher the balance score. This means there will definitely be wide variances in your scores, but we can predict that in general, introverts will score higher than extraverts as to autonomic nervous system balance.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei