View Poll Results: Emotional Pain = Physical Pain

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this happens to me frequently when my emotions are negative in anyway.

7 24.14%
  • Never.

7 24.14%
  • Only from certain very profound things.

12 41.38%
  • Unsure

3 10.34%

Thread: Emotional Pain = Physical Pain

TIM
    IEI 4 sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Emotional Pain = Physical Pain

Yeah so, I'm just wondering if this is case for many?

Ever been so sad, that your whole body felt heavy, and you not only lost your appetite...but you felt physical pain?

Only certain things affect me that strongly. Heartbreak, specifically. But anyway, they do.

So what about you?
    "If you can find out little melodies for yourself on the piano it is all very well. But if they come of themselves when you are not at the piano, then you have still greater reason to rejoice; for then the inner sense of music is astir in you. The fingers must make what the head wills, not vice versa."- Robert Schumann

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think so, I dunno. But I'm sure if I was in one of those scenarios where terrible things are underway, prompting various people to say "I think I'm going to be sick" or to clutch their stomachs, I see no reason why I wouldn't begin feeling rather ill as well. I doubt I would be the one who someone informs "you must have a strong stomach, then."

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They say Ron Dennis (McLaren Mercedes) felt real PAIN in his body when his team wasn't winning

Ron Dennis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Headache after a stressful day/event or an increased heart rate at worst. So, I guess, no.

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    IEI 4 sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Nope.
    figured you wouldn't. thats why i posted this in beta.

L.
    "If you can find out little melodies for yourself on the piano it is all very well. But if they come of themselves when you are not at the piano, then you have still greater reason to rejoice; for then the inner sense of music is astir in you. The fingers must make what the head wills, not vice versa."- Robert Schumann

TIM
    IEI 4 sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i guess to clarify, i don't mean just like, a headache from stress.

i mean your whole entire body being heavy. mostly the chest just feels this pressure, like someone's squeezing your heart. (literally, your heart)

usually i can brush off a lot of things, but if i'm heartbroken, then i'm fucked.

TIM
    IEI 4 sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    yes, when I am extremely distressed and heartbroken, there's an odd pain in my chest that doesn't go away very easily, and often my head aches.
    yeah, thats exactly what i mean

TIM
    IEI 4 sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post

You know, people even die of heartbreak: Can you die from heartbreak? | Science | The Guardian
    oh yeah, i've heard of that. i love that notion.

ha, i know its sad to think that someone would die from heartbreak, but the fact that love could have that strong of an effect on someone is wonderful to me. i love Love. <3

Creepy-male

I generally have to work back to my emotions from the physiological signs tied in with them.

Icey stab = dread
    Tightness heart = infatuation
    Icey head = anxious

Every emotion causes some physiological thing.

But, as for negative ones, always. There was one really, really down period, possibly a proper depression, where I really did feel like my entire body was made of lead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Yes, of course. Stress, emotional pain, and also happiness, joy, elation, they're all things you feel physically, or at least I do. I thought everyone did. How do you feel emotions, if you don't feel them physically?
    Uhuh. I mean, when you think about it, pain is just something in your brain telling something in your body that it is in distress right now. Psychological counselling is part of chronic pain management, and definitely makes a difference.

Heartbreak seems like something going on in your brain, and that shooting out messages all over your body, passing on the mental/emotional distress. The degree to which one is susceptible to that referred pain is both a function of things like socionics type, but also how emotionally and physically healthy you are.
    allez cuisine!

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are equal in the sense that I can ignore either one by telling myself to quit being a pussy.
    Easy Day

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pluie View Post
    Ever been so sad, that your whole body felt heavy, and you not only lost your appetite...but you felt physical pain?
    Only in extreme cases! The whole thing sounds extremely familiar but I cannot pinpoint a specific experience so I can better describe it. Maybe my mind blocks it.

Anyway, suffering is suffering! Sometimes things got so bad that physical pain was a preferred alternative.

Extreme numbness, difficult breathing, heartache (real ache, not just metaphorical) all this can be manifestations of a soul in pain.

Fortunately I got a better grip on my mind and moments like this seldom happen.

Once you learn to see the future in its beautiful potentiality, once you learn to let go and allow magic to reenter your life, all this becomes extremely rare.
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, this is weird. I mean I've experienced the butterflies in your stomach thing before. And I think intense dread or remorse could perhaps produce a feeling of being ill. But it's hard to place these things, so I'm still unsure. I do think I've been so anxious before that I felt a little queasy.

When I did feel intense heartbreak, I don't remember it being anything other than an intense emotional pain. And though it occurred to me that maybe I could die from it, I don't recall feeling anything at all in my body pertaining to it, only emotion. Though obviously intense "negative" emotions can cause physical destruction in the body (I think this has been shown?).

Anyway, I guess I don't know if I do or not. Or perhaps I'm just not very aware of it. I usually experience emotion as "in my mind"... it's this world of emotion that I can feel that doesn't need a body or something, which I sort of thought that's how everyone is, mostly... which it still seems that *is* how everyone is mostly... or not.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, definitely.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    IEI!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure, being an IEI I am not that intune with my body but I know that the body/mind/emotions are all interlinked. Like for instance people have cured cancer using their mind, and people have cured anxiety and depression by fixing their brain chemicals through diet.
    IEI, sp/sx 4w3.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Nope, just loss of appetite. Two two are obviously very seperate.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really hard to think of emotional pain in terms of physical. To me, even a thought can be emotionally painful, even if I don't feel it in my body. I do remember during really traumatic times, I did feel a lot of pain, but at the same time I was aware that it was emotional pain. But it still feels like burning your hand or something in that you wish you could just pull your hand away from the fire, but can't because it's an emotion. In a lot of ways I think emotional pain "hurts" as much as physical pain does. I also remember this strange feeling of being drawn to lying on the floor...when I'd get that upset it's like I just had to lie on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    Yes, I thought the same thing, that all people feel emotions "physically"??

I sometimes don't know why I feel a lump in my throat, a "heavy" sensation somewhere in my chest or as if there is something squeezing something inside somewhere else, but I've started looking for, and "talking" with these sensations, and it's actually really helpful when it comes to sorting out my emotions and understanding my reactions. I recommend you all to try it, especially if you are sensitive to what others say or do. It's a bit like meditation, you sit down, relax and then just "go into" the pain or the "energy clutter" you feel, and then ask it questions and answer them (through imagination, I guess) from within the "pain". It's cool. It actually answers a lot. OK. I probably sound mad again. But try it. It's like a form of active imagination, I guess. And it's a way to access the unconscious. And yes, it DOES bring out answers. I sense such "blocks" in my body more or less all the time, and the more I talk with them, the more I relax them. When I get them "off my chest" I feel as if I can breathe freely again. In me, it doesn't even have to be big things like a heartache, it can be because of things I thought were really insignificant, and then suddenly I talk with it, and see that it was bigger than I though consciously. In a way I feel these physical things more easily than the emotions itself. OK. End of lesson one. Someone please say they tried it and it worked.

(If nothing else, you'll have a good laugh while trying...)

Edit: Btw, I'm not sure I'd call it a "pain". It's more often a cramped feeling. As if something inside me blocks the natural "flow" or something like that. I can get pretty nervous/desperate by these blocks if they grow large.
    I totally agree! You described this really well. I do this when I have those random emotions and I'm like "why the heck do I feel like this?" It really does work. I get random "emotion pains" in various parts of my body too.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This really explains the "aches and pains" part of this commercial

Which I was confused about when I saw it long ago.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    yes, when I am extremely distressed and heartbroken, there's an odd pain in my chest that doesn't go away very easily, and often my head aches.
    Yea I have experienced something similar to the chest pain or tightness when I was really upset a long time ago.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Head pressure can be a result of mine from crying. However I relate to all of this (and appetite too):

i mean your whole entire body being heavy. mostly the chest just feels this pressure, like someone's squeezing your heart. (literally, your heart)
    I'd also like to add that from my chest to my neckline up to my mouth feels tight.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All breathing hard :/

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not completely sure about this. I can generally recall feelings of suffocation and gradual coldness being related to certain states, but that's mostly it. I think being 'heartbroken' would generate some sick sort of twisted feeling of my internal organs, with a gasping desire to throw up or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JWC3 View Post
    They are equal in the sense that I can ignore either one by telling myself to quit being a pussy.
    I can kind of relate to this -- more so on the physical side. If I know something is paining me emotionally, I might try to recognize what it is, just bask in it to let it pass more smoothly or release it through some physical means. But yeah, if I feel like shit because of a bad mood and see it detracting from my desired level of functioning, I'll just try to ice myself over and move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by pluie View Post
    figured you wouldn't. thats why i posted this in beta.

L.
    Get out of my quadra, please.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahahahah I love the smiling torment it emits.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same. I've been all depressed cause I was supposed to go to some museums but can't, so mindless forum banter is now my repose.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To all the newly-founded and gossamer betas that seem to have sprung up like ugly-ass flowers you just don't want in your garden...

Get the fuck out of my quadra.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    Just get out before you start correcting the smilies of people...
    Hopefully.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or even sore legs, which leads to a sore back, which leads to a sore neck. When I'm feeling positive, which is never, I tend to feel very light, as though I don't have a body. I'm not that good at noticing these things. They come up rather abruptly.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I voted for "only from certain profound things"

I'm prone to physical effects such as muscle tension or that sinking feeling in my stomach but I don't equate these effects with pain per se.

The only example of physical pain I can see in myself is that I will literally get a bad headache after a crying episode. Fortunately, this rarely happens.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    IEI 4 sx
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post

Get out of my quadra, please.
    get the fuck over yourself
    sx-sure; all you do is stir up bullshit drama

sp-my ass; unless self-preservation of your physical self requires bullshit bitching.

shutup.

"please"

i'm beta. get over it.