Thread: Reasoning for incorrect/wrong typings

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reasoning for incorrect/wrong typings

Let's post some reasons or evidence why one would type themselves or another person wrongly. Try to make them legitimate, so we can comprise a list. Let's also discuss which reasons or evidence is not legitimate. Take this piece of evidence for example, is it legitimate?

One typed claims that they don't really like their dual types in the past. How probable is that? How easily could you say that person mistyped themselves, their socalled dual, or both, wrongly? I often see the P/J switch, then all of a sudden it's clear to them why they didn't get along with their dual, because now they're socalled conflictors. But how probable is it that they're still being mistyped, even on both ends? Is a simple P/J switch all that convenient?

Anyway, I apologize for all the rhetoric. That is just one circumstance.

Creepy-male

Yes, using systems that aren't classical Socionics (or an extension) is one.

Another problem is lack of experience and expertise, which is a major problem with all the belligerent policing that goes on in this intellectual sewer (as in, people don't get a chance to develop that understanding with other people (because those other people have their own interpretation, obviously, and try to sell it as The Truth with everything else being The Enemy (which is something Rick mentioned... people need to read his blog FFS))).

Also, non-socionics factors can go into intertypes, without a mistype necessarily contributing.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People frequently type incorrectly due to improper typing techniques. Here is a fairly good SITE on how to become a better typist.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos View Post
    People frequently type incorrectly due to improper typing techniques. Here is a fairly good SITE on how to become a better typist.
    That site is really misleading, tbh.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people type coherentistically; intuitively using big-picture sight, seeing how well the pieces fit into the bigger puzzle. It is my experience that people very often make small mistakes in the process (I am no exception), but the overall framework of beliefs on the types of any person is rarely in a fundamental way wrong.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I big problem I see is that we tend to have model types that we base our typing on. Most of the time however these so called model types have been typed wrong.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics is a hell of a lot better than a lot of people here give it credit for... If you get to truly know the system/how to correctly type people, Socionics can change your entire life for the better.

The problem here is most people here don't know the system and can't type worth a damn.

To go along with the Socionics documentary this summer, I will compile a list of correctly typed people--celebrities, who could serve as type models for people who want to learn Socionics in earnest. (The system is easy to learn when you have correct guideposts.)

Without correct guideposts, you get the sort of crap Carla linked to above (incorrect typing everywhere)... And that makes people think Socionics is bullshit.

The truth is, in cases like that, Socionics isn't the problem.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    The problem here is most people here don't know the system and can't type worth a damn.
    It seems to get worse as time goes on, too.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    It seems to get worse as time goes on, too.
    1) Lack of quality peer review. 2) Overly sensitive boarders.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's true, Slacker Mom.

It might be that once people get Socionics right, they leave the forum to put it to practice IRL... They don't stick around to teach.

I'm glad that a few people who understand the system are still here.

I believe we need more people speaking up telling these people who are wrong the truth, i.e. that they are wrong, e.g. DeAnte, Archon Alarion, Allie... Lest this forum become just a pit for perpetuating misunderstanding.

This forum is to help people learn Socionics, but with all the mistypings and poor understanding, it's becoming harder.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I can see, there are four possible reasons for mistypes:

1. Misunderstanding of functions
    2. Misunderstanding of a type
    3. Not liking or getting on with a person with whom one is "meant" to have good relations
    4. Misunderstanding of socionics in general

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Let's post some reasons or evidence why one would type themselves or another person wrongly.
    Using inefficient or to complex typing methods.

For example:

Even a layman can tell fairly accurate when someone is an Extravert or Introvert.

But when applying Aristocratic Field Object Static etc, things get fuzzy and multiple interpretable.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    It might be that once people get Socionics right, they leave the forum to put it to practice IRL... They don't stick around to teach.
    Hi Juju,

What exactly do you mean by "putting it to practice IRL"? I can see that it more or less helps in terms of improving the understanding about people, but I don't see it (at least not yet) as being very practical outside philosophy/psychology applications.

I read too many articles that do not really delve deep into the thought process of each type and how it relates to working (i.e how they process information, reach conclusions based on what is presented to them, optimal group arrangement for a task, etc). Power hierarchy also seems to be an interesting and practical topic to me using Socionics (i.e which relations would benefit from one being in a higher rank position than the other, does the nature of an entire time period depend to a large extent on the type of the monarch?, etc). I believe that Socionics would attract more serious people if there were more articles that don't make it sound like a subjective, "life predictor" and match-making theory all the time, and really step it up in the type descriptions.

Sorry for derailing the thread with the above.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Let's post some reasons or evidence why one would type themselves or another person wrongly.
    Introspection is a key factor to self-typing I think. Maybe not being able to type oneself in this model is an indication of type.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Sereno View Post
    Introspection is a key factor to self-typing I think. Maybe not being able to type oneself in this model is an indication of type.
    Did you have trouble with that?

At least, I'm fairly sure I can blame it on M-B Ni.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Most people type coherentistically; intuitively using big-picture sight, seeing how well the pieces fit into the bigger puzzle. It is my experience that people very often make small mistakes in the process (I am no exception), but the overall framework of beliefs on the types of any person is rarely in a fundamental way wrong.
    Agreed.
    IEE

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Juju,

What exactly do you mean by "putting it to practice IRL"? I can see that it more or less helps in terms of improving the understanding about people, but I don't see it (at least not yet) as being very practical outside philosophy/psychology applications.
    I've been living with my conflictor for 4 years. It was hell.

I'm glad to understand how I can find my dual. It's the holy grail of human life.

So that's the practical element. It helps you with choosing the right relationship(s).

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    As far as I can see, there are four possible reasons for mistypes:

1. Misunderstanding of functions
    2. Misunderstanding of a type
    3. Not liking or getting on with a person with whom one is "meant" to have good relations
    4. Misunderstanding of socionics in general
    I think this is a pretty good list. I would also like to add situation factors like family environment or current friend envrionment that can make a person act differently than what is natural to them.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Juju,

I'm being absolutely genuine with you when I write that you can put Socionics into practice nearly constantly.

As silly as it might sound to some here, I've found it is true: if one takes the time to learn how to VI correctly, and type accurately by dominant functions, Socionics becomes a practical tool... Which one can use in nearly every interaction.

I want to make this known to people here who are down on Socionics--thinking it's all subjective... It's not.

Simply put, people here have either not been doing it right, or (those who have been doing it right) have been too meek in promoting their understanding... Leaving others here to wallow in their own half-assed Socionic off-shoot theories. (I wallowed in my own for awhile.)

Only since Jan or so: I can walk down a street and pick out my dual, my conflictor, etc. Just by sight.

This skill makes it easy--and very practical--to start good relationships, and also avoid bad ones.

For example, I have started up multiple friendships with duals during these past few months... And members of my own quadra... B/c of Socionics, I know how to better interact with them--and I am more myself the entire time, if that makes any sense, whereas before I would sometimes people-please.

All this is by way of saying--and I am writing it just so that others can learn, because Socionics has been very helpful to me (best year of my life so far)--if one takes the time to learn how to type people via VI and dominant functions... Socionics can help improve lives in a very practical way.

TIM
    EII 6w5
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    Did you have trouble with that?

At least, I'm fairly sure I can blame it on M-B Ni.
    Actually, I found that I could not be another type other than INFj. Although I do not fit the model entirely (and I doubt anyone does), I'm confident that it's my general type, and has been so for as long as I discovered Socionics.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and introverts happen to be more introspective seeing as how to perceive introvertedly means to perceive through the self, aka subjectively. So introspection is moreover a requirement for self typing. I've always thought that if anyone was really good at self typing it would be an Fi or Ti ego.