Thread: learning preferences

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default learning preferences

How would you feel in each situation, and which would you prefer to be in?

a)You're thrown into the deep end, but given clear instructions along the way as the person stands by and helps if you need it. The instructions are fired at you pretty directly ... but if you concentrate fully on the task at hand, you can just keep up. Afterwards, you're told that you did a good job.

b)Someone shows you how to do the task, then leaves you to it. If you come up against any problems, you have to use your own common sense .. though you know the person is pretty particular. Afterwards, the person takes a look at what you've done and critiques your work.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like a, because there is less room for critique.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Yay fluid mechanics Serious Name's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a) Pretty simple, just do as you are told and wham! You're done. If he critiqued me in any way I'd definitely say something, provided I followed him word for word. I wouldn't feel any stress at all.

b) I'd be slightly on edge, but I think with this type of style I'd end up learning more. I'd try not to take any critiques personally, but I know that if he trifles with me over something trivial it will wear my nerves. Save it for the important stuff.

I'd prefer A if its something I'm not good at or just started, B otherwise.

Edit: As Warlord said, if A had some fucked up order or something I'd be annoyed. And with B, you're given more freedom to do what you please.
    Last edited by Serious Name; 05-18-2009 at 04:19 AM.
    Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
    How would you feel in each situation
    I would be doing work, I would have no time for feelings

a)You're thrown into the deep end, but given clear instructions along the way as the person stands by and helps if you need it. The instructions are fired at you pretty directly ... but if you concentrate fully on the task at hand, you can just keep up. Afterwards, you're told that you did a good job.

b)Someone shows you how to do the task, then leaves you to it. If you come up against any problems, you have to use your own common sense .. though you know the person is pretty particular. Afterwards, the person takes a look at what you've done and critiques your work.
    I would prefer B. I don't like being told what to do, I prefer doing things my own way. I don't need praise, and critique doesn't bother me at all, if it's truthful and constructive.

So what I would feel:
    In case of A I probably would just listen for the instructions and do my work. Although I don't like be told what to do, it doesn't bother me that much, unless the instructions are stupid, then I would be mildly annoyed. Maybe the praise would make me happier, but I don't find that important. Being watched never bothers me btw. how else would they know how great I am I don't usually ask for help or further instructions.

In case of B, I guess I would "feel"/be concentrated on the work and then listening to the critique.
    Last edited by Warlord; 05-18-2009 at 05:35 AM.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Creepy-male

If I knew A was coming up, I'd be really anxious. But, once it started happening, sure. Amendment: I often can't do stuff when I'm being watched, and feel uncomfortable asking for help, like I'm wasting the person's time. Also, I'd feel really awkward and angry with myself if they say "You did a good job!" and I didn't personally agree. Never been in situation A though.

B is fine if there's an open time frame for me to get the ropes, and also some sort of resource where I can pick up skills. I'm assuming that wouldn't be the case, though. B is probably the worst, just from my personal experiences with LXEs and their constant damnation of everything I do.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B. I don't work well with A-things, because someone standing over my shoulder is a constant distraction and I can't concentrate at all on what I'm doing. I like being alone and figuring it out myself, placing well-directed questions here and there if needed. I feel confident in my ability to figure things out on my own. I don't feel confident in my ability to perform in front of others, which is how A would feel to me. With B I would need to know before hand that I *can't* ask questions later so I'll know to pay utmost attention to instructions, and get any questions in before they leave. I would probably also pay attention to in what ways they're particular so I can anticipate better what to do if a decision needs to be made that I can't ask them about (of course, this would also involve what the "task" is and the general "what makes sense" things specific to it regardless of how particular other people are).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A would feel pretty natural to me. In fact, I tend to do that to myself too often

B would put me on edge for whatever reason. I think it's because someone shows me something and expects me to "get it" REALLY doesn't get how I learn..

I'd much rather be in A.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to clarify - a) is more about action - there's not really time to ask questions; you pretty much have to sink or swim. The person in a) cares more about the effort you put in rather than how the thing turns out. You can take your time to get the thing right in b) situation .. but it has to be exactly right at the end.

TIM
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmm, still B... I don't feel confident with the A one... I wouldn't though want to do the B sort of thing very often though if everything had to be perfect all the time, I think that would eventually drive me crazy. Actually, it really depends what sort of task, because if I don't think I can get it painstakingly perfect, I might think A has a better chance of success. I mean if they're standing over my shoulder the entire time and I can't ask questions then they're essentially moving everything along anyway, so then they are determining it will happen, and I would just go along with it. And I could remind myself it's only an hour or two of my life, and at some point it will just be a memory anyway.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably A. I like knowing what I'm supposed to do, and A is already assured to have a good result.

ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it's a) and it's not even close.

In a) I would feel a bit intimidated but reassured knowing that there will always be a clear direction where to go.

In b) I would be intimidated and less reassured having to rely on my own common sense since I don't trust my own common sense. In these situations I find myself hesitant to do anything because I'm afraid of making a mistake or messing something up.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

B. I prefer to be alone to figure it out, without anyone looking over my shoulder. That drives me crazy and makes me nervous and literally takes away my ability to think.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)

a.

a is also how i teach, except my instructions aren't that clear .. they're kind of vague and i kind of "redirect" them .. following their path watching how far away they go from the destination.. it's kind of loose. although i can get tight with people who need that.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fwiw, I based a) on my experiences with a person I think is LSE, and b) on an LSI. That seems to work with most of your responses (thinking about intertype relations), so w00t!