Thread: Procrastination & free time

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Procrastination & free time

Hey everyone,

I've noticed that I can procrastinate - but not in the way most people think of it as.

The way it works is:
    1. I decide to take some free time
    2. I use that free time badly
    3. I continue to use that free time badly for an indefinite amount of time - usually until the early hours of the morning

Once I start moping on the internet, or watching too much TV, it sucks me in and keeps me there very persistently.

If I'm going about my daily life, I'm not drawn to using my free time badly - because I see clearly that there are other things in my life more important. But when I start using my free time badly, it's like I'm stuck in a catch-22 that's only broken when I get to bed and have the chance to start a new day.

Is this type related?

Thanks again

James
    Five/Tanzhe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like weak .

I have similar experiences.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ProcrastinateTomorrow View Post
    Sounds like weak .

I have similar experiences.

I'm skeptical that it necessarily has anything to do with weak Te.

....Depending on your particular system/definitions, that is.

Some people define Te as "productivity"...ergo, any procrastination means lack of Te.

In my observation, ESIs and LSIs usually don't have as big a problem with procrastination as some other types, despite the former having "weak" Te and the latter having "devauled" Te.

I think to an extent despite the fact that it seems type-related (because it is personality related), it may not be. There is a wide discrepancy between people of the same type with regards to procrastination, I think.

But regarding type-related stuff, there are probably several factors...it may not all be one thing.
    * Irrational types are more likely than rational types to get "lost" in their perceptions and not have a sense of "definiteness" about them, which could lead to procrastination.
    * Ne/Si quadras may, according to some models, have less of a future orientation, and consequently be more likely to procrastinate.
    * Having Se PoLR may make one put off Se things.
    * Being introverted may cause one not value outside things (e.g., one really doesn't care that much about the outside world so one's not motivated to do anything about it).
    * Having weak anything may cause you to put off that sort of thing (so ILI may procrastinate calling people and interacting, weak-Si types may put off Si kinds of tasks...etc....

I think the last point is the key one. What you procrastinate says more about you than the fact that you procrastinate.

Nevertheless, I very much agree with the original post that procrastination tends to be a sort of habit, or mode, that feeds on itself.. So if you get out of that pattern, you can be free from it for awhile.