Thread: Trying to be funny

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trying to be funny

Hey everyone,

Is this type related?

I realised that I've been going around trying to be funny, coming up with unusual insights or ways of looking at something, using every opportunity for a witticism or pun or movie reference etc. After a couple of people mentioned this I decided to not try to be funny. And it seems like I'm funnier when I'm not being funny, as well as more settled and calm, if that makes sense?

How would Socionics look at this?

Thanks,

James
    Five/Tanzhe

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a sign of a somewhat unnatural focus on .
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Creepy-Cyclops

What you describe, I know an SLI who does this. How it's viewed: annoying (by me and a lot of others).

I think it's Fe related, and in this persons situation, it's an attempt at 'compensation' for his weakness, as he's aware of his weak Fe due to some adverse life experiences.

The best thing, for him to do, possibly you too, is put it- the Fe on ignore, and I realise this can sound simple as i'm quite possibly not elaborating to a great enough extent on what I mean by putting on ignore, as it doesn't automatically mean be rude. [The full explanation is in my head, as an introvert I tend to find this can happen quite a bit].

On this person I know fwiw, he's a friend, a little younger than me, so i'm working on teaching him this, if I can.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Cyclops,

I'll ask around my friends and find out how they see it. Personally I think they view my behaviour as "weird" - which it is, I suppose. I also wonder whether they're frustrated at my using Fe to shield myself - as opposed to embracing my natural, non-Fe talents, no matter what people may think of me.

Your suggestion of putting Fe on ignore is something that I am doing myself. I wonder whether this is a self-esteem issue - I see that Fe = social acceptance, so I force myself to use Fe, which leads me to Expat's point. Expat, what do you mean by an unnatural focus on Fe. I feel like I'd like a slightly more comprehensive explanation about this, rather than just a sentence.

Thanks guys

James
    Five/Tanzhe

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to be funny is never funny.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Diana,

I don't disagree with anything you wrote, although I would add three points. First, that I view humour more as an attitude, a vibe, that a person gives off. It's not necessarily joking. And we also need to distinguish between base and more good-natured forms of humour. Second, this habit of trying to be funny led me to make jokes simply because there was an opportunity to make jokes. Third, because I can now let go of this habit, I can now concentrate on being who I am - someone who is relatively unemotional and calm - instead of trying to be funny. The question for me is - how can I use my calmness in a good way?

James
    Five/Tanzhe