Thread: A Beta thing or a human nature thing

Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A Beta thing or a human nature thing...

Is wanting or desiring or imagining or believing in some sort of a superior being(s) far greater than our own (to guide us, etc) a Beta thing, or just simply a human nature thing? (I would say that it's largely a human nature thing). Beings such as a God(s), or a supernatural being/force, or nature, or mythological beings, or highly intelligent extra-terrestrial species, or highly intelligent machines, etc. Jung has said that "basic ideas such as God, freedom, immortality are just as much feeling-values as they are significant as ideas."(his quote). So, is the desire to imagine these "supernatural beings" largely a "Feeling" thing?
    Last edited by Singu; 05-19-2009 at 01:29 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    Is wanting or desiring or imagining or believing in some sort of a superior being(s) far greater than our own
    As far as that goes, I think it transcends type.

But going further:

Quote Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
    (to guide us, etc) a Beta thing, or just simply a human nature thing? (I would say that it's largely a human nature thing).
    I think the reason why people would want a "superior being far greater than our own" to exist is related to type. Not everyone would want such a superior being to "guide" them in any way. Some will want such a superior being to exist to give their lives, or existence itself, some kind of meaning; others long not so much for "guidance" but for a feeling of "not being alone".

For my part, I am largely indifferent to that question, although I do find the AI thing intriguing.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEI!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interestinggg
    My vote; I don't think it's type related.
    IEI, sp/sx 4w3.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's definitely human nature.

It's how you think about it which has the capacity to determine your type.

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yeah, a human nature thing

I was watching Carl Sagan's TV series "Cosmos" (a documentary/sci-fi series about the universe and the history of science), and I got excited by the possibilities of some intelligent and highly evolved extra-terrestrial beings existing somewhere in this universe. I thought how great and monumental it would be, if we would could communicate with such beings other than our own in some other galaxies. If such beings really existed in this universe, then surely we could learn from their (supposedly) superior intellect and wisdom. Even if we had about the same level of intellect, it would still be exciting and monumental. It would be the ultimate thing to happen in the history of our mankind, imo...

You reead HP Lovecraft(an Ne INTJ, not beta, but this is exactly the type of thing the stories in the so called cthulu mythos talks about)?