Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Control Function

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Control Function

    Is it normal to be ashamed of your Control Function? When I looked at the role functions that Joy posted on the Delta quadra for INFJs, appears as the Control Function. However, I find my to be a source of embarassment, and ironically, it is something I require from other people (shamefully... ).

  2. #2
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    Can you provide a RL example (if somone mimics "IRL" Im gonna smack ya )? I mean no names/relations needed-- just, hmm, how it makes you feel and why, etc?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    haha, Dr. Jadae. I don't know exactly why I feel that way about it. Its just that in certain situations I feel that I should be more affectionate, but it feels awkward when I try to. For instance, I hate it when people are very expressive when greeting me, not that I don't like it, it's just that I feel kind of bad that I don't return it at the same level. Here's an example:
    - Whazzaaaa?!? How's it going?!?, long time man...
    - Hey, what's up? (me trying my best to smile without looking artificial)

    Or when someone wants to shake my hand another way that I have not yet practiced (this might be involved with btw). I've got maybe three types of handshakes down, but when someone does something fancy that I am not used to, its just awkward and slightly humorous.

    I thought that there might be other people who have a similar situation with their control function. Or, it may be just me...

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Fever,

    but i feel towards people deeply more than they ever know. maybe it is because my is so deep and pure that if i ever were to show .... it would be rather weird and embarrassing.
    Yes, this is true... I know what you mean by 'pure,' but I think some people might take it the wrong way. In any case, this might be the reason why Fe is weak, or simply not given importance.

    It would be interesting to see what other types think of their control function. Let's see if there is response, haha.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    M-H λ
    Posts
    2,609
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Much of what you said applies to me as well but in different ways.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanum
    I hate it when people are very expressive when greeting me, not that I don't like it, it's just that I feel kind of bad that I don't return it at the same level.
    This applies to me but mostly with people that I have not been in contact with in a long time. It seems kind of phony to me, like we are pretending we are still friends when really we have drifted so far that we don't even know one another anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by fever
    like when someone gives me a gift... i feel like i need to have these dynamic emotions demonstrating all this Fe because that's why people enjoy giving u a gift...
    Yeah I get that way in formal gift giving situations like Christmas. I don't think people enjoy giving you a gift because they want to see your positive reaction though. Well... not ALL people. I will pm you about this.

  6. #6
    Creepy-

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fever
    like when someone gives me a gift... i feel like i need to have these dynamic emotions demonstrating all this Fe because that's why people enjoy giving u a gift... but i feel so fake if i were to do this. but don't get me wrong, i do very much appreciate someone being that thoughtful to give me a gift... i guess that's why the socionics profile says that INFJs are a "hidden sea of emotions"..... very true, very true.


    Some of us assume that you hate the gift (and maybe even us) when you don't react. At least now you've mentioned it I guess I don't necessarily need to rule out that you didn't like the present, but it doesn't rule out the possibility of you hating it either... that's just my own issue, I guess.

  7. #7
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

  8. #8
    schrödinger's cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Is Ni about symbolism and knowing how others ought to live their lives? If yes, then here are my 2 cents.

    I love symbols, but I find that vaguely embarassing. There's a fairytale about three hazelnuts, and each time the girl cracked one she could make a wish and it came true. I've got three nuts in my coat pocket, just to keep my fingers busy when I feel like fiddling with something... at least that's what I'd tell if people would ask me about it.

    My in-laws drive me up the wall with their symbolism. For a long time it looked like my daughter was going to be born the day my mum-in-law had died. The poor little mite would never have heard the end of it. It would have been like this: "Yes, she looks a lot like Mum... [meaningful look] ...and she was born on the day Mum died." Meaningful silence. I'm a tiny bit impatient with that sort of thing. I try to understand where people are coming from, but it's a struggle against a certain impulse to yell "so what?!"

    My own father died a few days after turning 50. For years before his death I'd thought of that number whenever I was writing a story and brainstorming for ideas. Fünfzig. Fifty. Totally out of the blue, without any connection at all to the story. -- I never knew what to make of it. Still don't. Others would have made a meal of that and told it to lots and lots of people; I never mention it, and keep it to myself on purpose. Perhaps that's another instance where symbols just creep in via my subconscious, and my conscious mind sort of distrusts them or doesn't know what to make of them.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Are you ashamed of your though? Like wanting to sometimes erase all evidence of it in what you do?

  10. #10
    schrödinger's cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    No, I'm not ashamed of it. I'm not even sure what it is.

  11. #11
    Expat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,853
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    No, I'm not ashamed of it. I'm not even sure what it is.
    ishy liked my description:

    My works in perceiving time as a sort of dynamic continuum, looking into the past to see how its trends shaped the present, and seeing how present trends shape future events. That does allow me to evaluate how things are going to turn out better than most people. But nobody's infallible, of course. I have made lots of mistakes in this regard, often involving investing money.
    My control function is , and I see no reason why I should be ashamed of it.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

  12. #12
    Creepy-

    Default

    Btw, I'm not ashamed of my control function. however... if I were to be associated with strong I would probably be offended and take a long look at myself to see how I could fix the problem... lol.

    How do you all feel about your 8th function?

    (I'm not hijacking, it's just a related tangent)

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Actually I should rephrase what I said about being ashamed of . It's more of 'embarassed' of it when it is not under control. What I am ashamed of is requiring people to express it.

    Ishy wrote:
    Btw, I'm not ashamed of my control function. however... if I were to be associated with strong I would probably be offended and take a long look at myself to see how I could fix the problem... lol.
    I'm not sure what you meant ishy with being associated to strong . Having people think you are an person?

    How do you all feel about your 8th function?
    Could someone tell me where I can find a detailed explanation of how each function is expressed? I prefer to read that before answering your question ishy, since I am not familiar with .

  14. #14
    schrödinger's cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    No, I'm not ashamed of it. I'm not even sure what it is.
    ishy liked my description:

    My works in perceiving time as a sort of dynamic continuum, looking into the past to see how its trends shaped the present, and seeing how present trends shape future events. That does allow me to evaluate how things are going to turn out better than most people.

    Ah, that. I do that a lot. It's subconscious - a hunch rather than a thing I can really analyze and explain to others. For that reason, I've probably dismissed it too easily in the past. "Oh, but that's not a rational reason, it's just a strange feeling I've got, totally unfounded in reality." Example:

    Once I was faced with an important life decision: the guy I was going to marry had accepted a job in another country, and I had to decide if I'd live there too. I analyzed this in my head, rationally, sensibly, like the good grown-up I was, and thought all was in favour of that. But whenever I thought of that country I just couldn't picture myself living there. I had a strange feeling, like I was going to die. In the end, my time in that country was a disaster and harmed me a great deal, for various reasons. Cold comfort, that, knowing that I'd been right all the time.

  15. #15
    Creepy-

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanum
    I'm not sure what you meant ishy with being associated to strong . Having people think you are an person?
    Not necessarily people thinking I'm a person because I like quite a lot of people. If someone compared me to the people I know, in most cases I would be quite flattered because in most cases they are nice people

    However, if someone commented on my "subjective judgements", my ethical character, my kindness, etc. -- I would get edgy. I would like to think that any ethical judgements I might make are objective and neutral (at least most of the time, anyway). I don't strive to be kind, compassionate, etc. (nor do I strive to be the opposite of this), and people perceive me in this way I feel that I must be neglecting much more important things.

    How do you all feel about your 8th function?
    Could someone tell me where I can find a detailed explanation of how each function is expressed? I prefer to read that before answering your question ishy, since I am not familiar with .
    http://www.the16types.info/functions.php
    http://www.socionics.us/theory/information.shtml
    http://www.mdani.demon.co.uk/wword/types.htm
    http://www.augustana.edu/users/psjohnson/jungtypes.htm
    http://www.cognitiveprocesses.com/history.html (has Jung's cognitive processes to the left near the top)
    http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm



    (edited for messed up links )

  16. #16
    schrödinger's cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    1,186
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The 8th function of an ENPF would be Fe, right?

    So, how do I feel about that? Hm. It's unconscious and sometimes just happens, sort of. It's nothing I can decide to do. If I'm consciously thinking about or deciding what to do, how to act, then I'm Fi. Fe probably happens more when I'm relaxed and at ease.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The first link I had seen before, but it is really abstract and I didn't find any sense into it.

    The second one is a lot better :wink: :

    The Introverted Intuition Type
    Introverted intuition is directed inward to the contents of the unconscious. It attempts to fathom internal events by relating them to universal psychological processes or to other archetypal images. Consequently it generally has a mythical, symbolic or prophetic quality.
    Ohhhh, now I know what it is. I do recognize it's 'there,' but its unconscious. It's what makes me feel like I have some kind of mental problem, haha. Maybe those weird skits that I find myself thinking about are caused by . It's almost as if every person and situation in my life is mixed, and then, as if picked by random, they take part into a strange scene where they are in some way connected. Don't know how else to describe it .

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Of Rick's definitions of the functions, I disagree with and the most.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Sorry, I meant to say the third link in terms of describing .

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    yeah, I like the third link, it is pretty much extremly short summaries of what Jung wrote. The only thing is they got the functons wrong for Introverts.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The Introverted Feeling one makes sense:

    The introverted feeling type is brooding and inaccessible, although may also hide behind a childish mask. Such a person aims to be inconspicuous, makes little attempt to impress and generally fails to respond to the feelings of others. The outer, surface appearance is often neutral, cold and dismissive. Inwardly, however, feelings are deep, passionately intense, and may accompany secret religious or poetic tendencies. The effect of all this on other people can be stifling and oppressive. When extreme or neurotic, this type may become domineering and vain. Negative repressed thinking may also be projected so that these persons may imagine they can know what others are thinking. This may develop into paranoia and into secret scheming rivalries.
    It actually answers what I was referring to, now that I read it.

  22. #22
    implied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    7,750
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •