Thread: Funny "Missing" Feeling

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Funny "Missing" Feeling

I was walking around the house this evening, doing various things in preparation to go to bed, and I realized I have this funny feeling. Kind of like hunger, with that idea of something missing; but it was not hunger, as far as I could tell. I had eaten and drunk water not long ago (long, in my case, meaning half hour). I next considered if maybe it was that I was cold, but despite wearing just a cami on my top half (jeans and slippers on the bottom half) I didn't feel really all that cold, though I guess I could be warmer on the surface of my skin.

I'm not sure how to describe the feeling. Kind of like that first warning that hunger is coming, or that initial hint to the preoccupied mind that the foot one is sitting on is tired of being sat on. Or, maybe a cousin to the homesick feeling, or distant kin to the "I'm forgetting something, I just know it" feeling. Or maybe a great uncle twice removed to that gut feeling you get five minutes before you realize that your toaster's not where you used it yesterday. Anyway, a sort of something's-missing-or-wrong-or-not-quite-right feeling, but in a physical sense, having to do with my body. It almost might be like that sort of feeling you get when you're lacking a certain nutriment and you see (or smell) a food that has that ingredient in it. Except I knew I wasn't hungry. I looked at the fridge and then the cupboard but no spark.

So, not hungry, not cold. Tired? Yes, I was a bit tired, but the tired feeling is distinct and not what was bothering me. What else is there?

I brought it up to a housemate, who started suggesting water and vitamins and sweatshirts and my bed, and then - since I was looking at a person - I got the idea that maybe I needed a hug, though I had got a nice good one from my dad earlier that evening. My housemate obliged and we hugged and the feeling subsided a bit. So maybe that's it - I'm hug deprived.

So, anyway, I'm curious about two things right now - if any of you relate to any of that and if any of you think it has any possible socionic connections or correlations. Ideas on what I'm missing are welcome, too, though not of the greatest importance, I guess.

And, yes, I know the obvious answer to some is going to be - "That's what you get for being weak in Si" Is that what it is, though? Or does it even relate?
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    I was walking around the house this evening, doing various things in preparation to go to bed, and I realized I have this funny feeling. Kind of like hunger, with that idea of something missing; but it was not hunger, as far as I could tell. I had eaten and drunk water not long ago (long, in my case, meaning half hour). I next considered if maybe it was that I was cold, but despite wearing just a cami on my top half (jeans and slippers on the bottom half) I didn't feel really all that cold, though I guess I could be warmer on the surface of my skin.

I'm not sure how to describe the feeling. Kind of like that first warning that hunger is coming, or that initial hint to the preoccupied mind that the foot one is sitting on is tired of being sat on. Or, maybe a cousin to the homesick feeling, or distant kin to the "I'm forgetting something, I just know it" feeling. Or maybe a great uncle twice removed to that gut feeling you get five minutes before you realize that your toaster's not where you used it yesterday. Anyway, a sort of something's-missing-or-wrong-or-not-quite-right feeling, but in a physical sense, having to do with my body. It almost might be like that sort of feeling you get when you're lacking a certain nutriment and you see (or smell) a food that has that ingredient in it. Except I knew I wasn't hungry. I looked at the fridge and then the cupboard but no spark.

So, not hungry, not cold. Tired? Yes, I was a bit tired, but the tired feeling is distinct and not what was bothering me. What else is there?

I brought it up to a housemate, who started suggesting water and vitamins and sweatshirts and my bed, and then - since I was looking at a person - I got the idea that maybe I needed a hug, though I had got a nice good one from my dad earlier that evening. My housemate obliged and we hugged and the feeling subsided a bit. So maybe that's it - I'm hug deprived.

So, anyway, I'm curious about two things right now - if any of you relate to any of that and if any of you think it has any possible socionic connections or correlations. Ideas on what I'm missing are welcome, too, though not of the greatest importance, I guess.

And, yes, I know the obvious answer to some is going to be - "That's what you get for being weak in Si" Is that what it is, though? Or does it even relate?
    But I think it might sound more like early signs of a fever. Still too vague to pin it. Like, not enough for a high temperature but still off-feeling

I know when I'm about to get sick, or a fever, my joints usually hurt whenever I use em. Like, being on my knees, bending my elbows, turning my neck, etc.
    (Yes, I am a Dr. Dr Vanguard)
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

You need God.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post

I've felt the same way quite often. Sometimes it's more of a physical feeling like what you've described and other times it takes on a form of mental/spiritual longing for things I cannot clearly define or explain. It's a reoccurring feeling of strong and inexplicable yearning, of things that have been lost or are just missing, and I feel as if I know there is something to be found that will fill up the holes and end the longing but I don't know where and what to look for.

So the things that are missing can also be intangible sometimes.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discounting supernatural forces and microbial pests, I know the feeling well.

For me it usually takes the form of a general restlessness and a cross between 'forgetting something' and 'worried about something'. I'll often subconsciously ignore it until enough is enough and I have to acknowledge it. Then I try to figure out what's going on.

In some cases there is a reason, but in others there isn't. When there isn't a reason, I usually try distracting myself - work or play, it doesn't matter. Tidying up my apartment, as one example, can help. Completing daily, routine, mundane chores allows me to scratch off one more item in my mental lists of To-do's.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Director Abbie View Post
    You need God.
    Duh. That's the obvious. I think she was looking for something a little more confusing.

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh, based on the content of the responses so far, I'd say that it isn't socionics related. But, based on the responders (the first four are Si-egos, and Delta to boot), there's got to be something to it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    But I think it might sound more like early signs of a fever. Still too vague to pin it. Like, not enough for a high temperature but still off-feeling

I know when I'm about to get sick, or a fever, my joints usually hurt whenever I use em. Like, being on my knees, bending my elbows, turning my neck, etc.
    (Yes, I am a Dr. Dr Vanguard)
    Thank you, doctor. That is indeed another possibility. But, yeah, it's the vague part that made me think. Usually if I'm feeling weird a moment's thinking will pin it down to its cause, whether physical or emotional or whatever, but this one stumped me.

You need God.
    True, Abbie, technically true. A little bluntly and presumptively put, but I think your answer to me is a good reminder for me to ask God if he has any thoughts on the matter of what I need or need to do. Because you are correct - I do need him very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    I've felt the same way quite often. Sometimes it's more of a physical feeling like what you've described and other times it takes on a form of mental/spiritual longing for things I cannot clearly define or explain. It's a reoccurring feeling of strong and inexplicable yearning, of things that have been lost or are just missing, and I feel as if I know there is something to be found that will fill up the holes and end the longing but I don't know where and what to look for.

So the things that are missing can also be intangible sometimes.
    That's true, too. Maybe I need to psychoanalyze myself. This kind of feeling is unique to me; I don't have it often, really, if at all.

And maybe you need more hugs, too.

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    Discounting supernatural forces and microbial pests, I know the feeling well.

For me it usually takes the form of a general restlessness and a cross between 'forgetting something' and 'worried about something'. I'll often subconsciously ignore it until enough is enough and I have to acknowledge it. Then I try to figure out what's going on.

In some cases there is a reason, but in others there isn't. When there isn't a reason, I usually try distracting myself - work or play, it doesn't matter. Tidying up my apartment, as one example, can help. Completing daily, routine, mundane chores allows me to scratch off one more item in my mental lists of To-do's.
    Yeah, now that you mention it, there was a tinge of restlessness, but a seeking kind, kind of like "why isn't what I want/need here?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    A very mild food poisoning? Gives a "dizzy" feeling that reminds a bit of hunger. If it's mild, you'll not notice more than that. I remember hearing somewhere, just recently, that most people suffer from food poisoning without necessarily knowing about it about twice a year....
    That's a thought, but I wasn't dizzy. That is one thing I checked for. (Although, saying that makes me laugh a little bit to myself. "Dizzy? No; check. Upset stomach? No; check. Any bleeding wounds? No; check. Head attached? Yes; check." lol)

If not that, I'd guess lonelyness? If so, hug more! (Maybe you were having a reaction to something your father said or did?)
    Well, it was all very positive interaction with my father (he's a great dad), but maybe the hug triggered a reminder of sorts?

Also, DirectorAbbie's suggestion is good. Not that I believe in God, I don't, but our spirituality needs "food" even if it's not directed towards a "God". Too many people today do not get enough soul-food. If you are creative - use it. And talk with your soul/check your dreams. They will tell you if this is where you are hungry.

Good luck!
    Thank you, Mimosa.

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    Duh. That's the obvious. I think she was looking for something a little more confusing.
    Do you have something in mind?
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need God.
    rofl

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@minde:what had you had to eat?

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

When I get a certain empty feeling, I think that life is cheap and too easily influenced by the senses. I worry I'm going to get diabetes, because apparently stress is a contributing factor...which makes me even more stressed. But when I'm feeling elated, I wouldn't want to be anybody else!

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    @minde:what had you had to eat?
    I don't remember exactly. It was an after-dinner snack. I think it might have been a piece of the cheesecake I had made earlier.