Thread: When does "type" become fixed?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default When does "type" become fixed?

-
    Last edited by CILi; 05-31-2017 at 04:43 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never went through a disparate adolesence. Who I am at nearly 26 is who I was at 6... just slightly more reasoned and grumpy, that is.

I think personality is established at a young age, and what's left is commonly just a 'filling out' of sorts. No evidence, though - just a gut feeling.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    Do you feel there's a critical life-stage or period of development where personality becomes entrenched?
    When you obtain your first erection.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to think that your personality is always changing. You become more moderate in some behaviors and polarized in others. You learn from so many experiences and the people around you add to your awareness in unique ways... You're always growing. But your type is more about your cognitive functions, and I think that settles at a young age. I would say at least when you started school, your type could be established, though it might be hard.

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think it becomes fixed during the preschool years, when people are discovering what the world around them is like and how to react to it.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think that the answer would depend on whether we consider type as being genetic, 'hormonal' (as in due to the hormonal fluctuations while in the womb), or learned behavior.

When I was young I showed very strong EXFp traits. (much to the annoyance of my betan brothers).
    The oldest brother is said to have shown EXTx traits early.
    and the other brother is said to have shown IXFp traits really early.

My daughter showed Gamma SF traits early, EXFx, and EP.
    As she matures, its all been coming together to the actual ESFp typing.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As to Socionics type, you know, I've always been this way... From what my Mom says, I was like this as an infant... I still like (and hate) the same type of people I did when I was 10.

Slightly off-topic: at 26, personality is a lot clearer than even 23--you know, just from having learned a few things from various situations... I.e. what used to keep me up at nights, I don't worry about much anymore... I hope this is what aging is like... as you learn new things, life keeps getting better and better and better...

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    As to Socionics type, you know, I've always been this way... From what my Mom says, I was like this as an infant... I still like (and hate) the same type of people I did when I was 10.
    I would agree with this, I think this is where the expression comes from at least for people, 'If it ain't broke don't fix it'.

So type seems to stretch back as long as or even before we can remember, and I think it is the same for many people I have spoke to when they talk about themselves in this regards.
    Slightly off-topic: at 26, personality is a lot clearer than even 23--you know, just from having learned a few things from various situations... I.e. what used to keep me up at nights, I don't worry about much anymore... I hope this is what aging is like... as you learn new things, life keeps getting better and better and better...
    I think so JuJu, so perhaps this is what is meant by, 'youth is wasted on the young'. So by that let us enjoy it!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think our actual type is with us from birth. However, the way we act is influenced a lot by the external things and we are all flexible enough to change quite a bit, but that does not change our actual type. There have been times in my life that I've been very shy, very loud, very "professional," very unprofessional, and so on. Just depending on what was needed by the situations in my life. But underneath that I've been the same since I was a kid.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen enough babies grow into children and young adults to think that type is present at birth, and it just becomes more apparent as we get older. It's amazing how quickly some aspects of a baby's personality are evident. If I'm right, my new baby has an Ip temperment. I will update as she gets older!
    Last edited by Slacker; 05-08-2009 at 08:57 PM.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

***el X Mercenary
    TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The second my balls dropped, I knew I was SLI.

Creepy-

I don't know when type becomes fixed [or if it does], but I know I feel like I change a lot in some ways and not much or at all in others, though I still am not sure how relevant that is to my "real" type. Surely everyone experiences that? Like, there have been times I was quiet [not timid, though, typically] and times I was louder [not brash, though, I don't think]. Honestly, at the age of 24 I feel like I have a good idea of who I am as a person, but as far as what my type is I still waver a bit [because I don't yet understand socionics as clearly as I eventually will... or because I've not experienced enough... or some combo of those + something else]. It's hard for me to pin down a definite "yes, I am XXXx; I have always been and will always be XXXx" because I seem to keep encountering things in myself that contradict whatever type I thought I was before....

To answer the question, I'm going to say it's different for everyone. And it's probably easier or clearer for some people [or even some types] to self-type than it is for others at the same age.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I think our actual type is with us from birth. However, the way we act is influenced a lot by the external things and we are all flexible enough to change quite a bit, but that does not change our actual type. There have been times in my life that I've been very shy, very loud, very "professional," very unprofessional, and so on. Just depending on what was needed by the situations in my life. But underneath that I've been the same since I was a kid.
    lol, I should have just quoted you instead of writing my response.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the people who think you are not born as a type:

Psychologists claim that temperament is already present at birth. (source: wikipedia)
    Jung said he had seen types in children. (source: psychological types)
    I recall people on this forum already easely able to type their children.
    Personally their are a lot of hints in my childhood that I was an ILI.
    Several books (in my bookcase) describe how children of such and such type behave.

So can we please stop this discussion. You are a type from birth.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    For the people who think you change type during your life:

Psychologists claim that temperament is already present at birth. (source: wikipedia)
    Jung said he had seen types in children. (source: psychological types)
    I recall people on this forum already easely able to type their children.
    Personally their are a lot of hints in my childhood that I was an ILI.
    Several books (in my bookcase) describe how children of such and such type behave.

So can we please stop this discussion. You are a type from birth. You stay the same type during the rest of your life.
    I can accept that type is present at birth and remains fixed all through life. But there are so many variations and possibilities, everyone being unique, that I think maybe it takes longer in some people for the pendulum to stop swinging as a person goes through phases, so that different people's type could be more or less easily identified. To use myself as an example, I've changed/grown/etc., but not in ways that necessarily negate or confirm one type or another; it's just harder to type myself as a result [though it might be easier for other people looking at me from the outside]. Does that make sense?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've typed 3 the day they were born
    ISFP,ESTP,ISTP

approx. 3 years later. I'm confident in the following
    ISFP,INFP,ISTP

2/3 is pretty convincing evidence to me especially since all 3 were pretty much initially typed at first glance (even sleeping in the incubator ... lol). The one error ESTP for INFP is permissable (to me) i often get this wrong with adults at first glance. Duals can tend to emit similar signals.
    ILE

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    But there are so many variations and possibilities, everyone being unique, that I think maybe it takes longer in some people for the pendulum to stop swinging as a person goes through phases, so that different people's type could be more or less easily identified. To use myself as an example, I've changed/grown/etc., but not in ways that necessarily negate or confirm one type or another; it's just harder to type myself as a result [though it might be easier for other people looking at me from the outside]. Does that make sense?
    Yes it makes perfectly sense. It might even be so that people see changing their behaviour is the same as changing your type, while that's not necessary at all. People do change, but probably within their type frame.

Also another example to consider, people's change physically radically when growing from baby to mature, but still stay the same gender type. Same holds true for their personality and psychological type.
    Last edited by Jarno; 05-08-2009 at 11:13 PM.