View Poll Results: How did you find/get your job?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I searched want ads [in the newspaper, Monster, etc.] and applied to a select few jobs.

1 6.67%
  • I searched want ads and applied to every job I was qualified for and/or interested in.

3 20.00%
  • A friend helped me out.

3 20.00%
  • A family member helped me out.

2 13.33%
  • Other [please specify]

6 40.00%

Thread: How did you find/get your job?

Creepy-

Default How did you find/get your job?

I'm curious about whether there will be a pattern.

Maybe Fi types are more likely to find jobs through connections, while Se types may be more likely to go right for the top and contact big shots in companies directly, etc....
    Last edited by female; 05-06-2009 at 09:28 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah seriously I'd like to know cuz I need one. Preferably one where I don't have to "be the catcher" if ya catch my drift.

Last one I got was through my friend. One before that was through interview. One Before that was also interview.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think for people younger the trend, regardless of type, is probably "through a friend."

We just don't have the work experience to get us in most places.

It's either that or work in some shitty department store.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    Yeah seriously I'd like to know cuz I need one. Preferably one where I don't have to "be the catcher" if ya catch my drift.
    Me too, although that's not why I asked *cough*[But if you live near a beach [any beach, lol] and need a writer, editor, teacher, tutor, coach, or artist then let me know ]

FWIW, I can have one of a few jobs if I stay where I am [through friends and friends of friends], but I want to move , so I'm going about my search the new old-fashioned way: internet search engines and such.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticSonic View Post
    I think for people younger the trend, regardless of type, is probably "through a friend."

We just don't have the work experience to get us in most places.

It's either that or work in some shitty department store.
    This is probably true in a lot of cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Ugh, I voted too quickly. Anyway, most of my previous jobs were from having friends suggest working there with them. One job was from the help of a family member. My last one I had scheduled an interview for on my own. I did well. (:
    Confirms MS's theory, then, for the most part. Did you find the interview through a search engine, or a job fair, etc.?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guess you're right sappho, gotta keep slogging through. Good old fashined way
    (I never generated any good contacts in my old job. One of the many reasons I left)

- Voltaire

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was asked to do it (I voted "Other")
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my current job by knowing someone. Didn't send a resume or have an interview. I suspect this may be the norm if I continue this line of work.
    SLI/ISTp -- Te subtype

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by force my hand View Post
    I got my current job by knowing someone. Didn't send a resume or have an interview. I suspect this may be the norm if I continue this line of work.
    Naw. This is the more common way you actually get jobs I suspect.

- Voltaire

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you find/get your job?

There are only two ways:

1) Give him head

2) Kung-fu him!

ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was contacted by a headhunter who asked me if I'd be interested in the position.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sexy lingerie is always useful

ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Haikus
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I got most of my jobs before through other people and knowing the right thing to say, because it's a Fe thing for me. I also have to know that I'm wanted/needed in the place, so I use Fe a lot to do that. It is more important for me to be liked and idealized than 'useful' per se, I don't suck the tit on others' in all ways, but in this way I do because it's the most comfortable and it works for me.

However keeping a job is the hardest. Even if other people go out of there way to support me cause I'm so gay and loveable and cute I still have a hard time being responsible and showing up and such. =(

I'm really just better writing/being idealistic. *shrug*

TIM
    Te-ISTp
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walked in and picked up an application. Filled it out and was hired on the spot.

"His feeling that this world is not his Fatherland, and that it does not represent his proper condition, so to speak—his feeling that, basically, he 'comes from afar'—will remain a fundamental element which will not give rise to mystical escapism and spiritual weakness, but rather will enable him to minimise, to relativise, to refer to higher concepts of measure and limit, all that can seem important and definitive to others, starting with death itself, and will confer on him calm force and breadth of vision." — Julius Evola

SLI-Te | 5w6 sp/so
    Oldham Solitary

Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho
    Maybe Fi types are more likely to find jobs through connections...
    As said Fi type, I've only tried the opposite.

To me, networking's just about the biggest evil in the world. It's stressful enough keeping up with family and friends (even the very best ones); so doing it with random business folk is Hell x2. Why should someone help me out? I did little to earn it; I hardly "deserve" it; and I'm not always able to return the favor.

Then again, I still don't have a job. (And if that's why, you're absolutely right.)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post

To me, networking's just about the biggest evil in the world. It's stressful enough keeping up with family and friends (even the very best ones); so doing it with random business folk is Hell x2. Why should someone help me out? I did little to earn it; I hardly "deserve" it; and I'm not always able to return the favor.

Then again, I still don't have a job. (And if that's why, you're absolutely right.)
    Yeah, that's why. Networking is a necessary evil. And, networking doesn't mean sleazy business suit guys with oiled up hair and a car salesman deliver. Networking is your friends, family, co-workers, guy you have lunch with, guy you struck up a conversation with over some cisco routers, guy who nudged you with his car and decided to make it up to you by buying you lots of beer. That's networking.

I suppose to get another job you could always do
    sudo apt-get install new_job

- Voltaire

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most recent job: family member knew someone
    All previous jobs: determined companies I liked and applied

Most successful strategy by far these days is knowing someone. Companies put up so many barriers for new applicants to get past that if you don't know someone you are going to expend much more energy for a much smaller chance. I hate "networking" in the forced pretend way most people do it. Random people you bump into who have a spot - that's the way to go.
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post

To me, networking's just about the biggest evil in the world. It's stressful enough keeping up with family and friends (even the very best ones); so doing it with random business folk is Hell x2.
    I didn't mean "networking," and that's why I used the word "friend" - meaning, someone you're actually friends w who happened to be able to help you out, and did. I agree networking for the sake of networking is sleazy, and I could never bring myself to do it if I didn't actually like and respect the person [perhaps to my detriment as well, heh].

Why should someone help me out? I did little to earn it; I hardly "deserve" it; and I'm not always able to return the favor.
    I don't know that it's a matter of "should," but if that's the direction you're going, then why shouldn't they, if it's something you're genuinely qualified for and that is feasible in other ways? If there is a job opening where I work and I have a friend who is qualified for that position, I would certainly recommend them, and I have done this a couple of times. It's not that I expect my friends to do that for me, but when they have it's been appreciated. And anyway, whether you actually get [and keep!] the job is based on your own skills and merit, so you are earning it.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first job was an internship so I'm not sure how that fits. My teacher basically did all the legwork so all I had to do was show up and interview.

Every other job I had after that, UPS, that telemarketing place, and Fedex I pretty much just walked in, filled out an app, interviewed and walked away with a job.

Oh, I have applied to about ten different positions on USAJOBS but haven't ever even got a call back on any of them. Philosophy degrees.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of my jobs were connections. First one was a summer job that a friend of my mother's referenced me, then my father referenced me for another. Third job I just applied and got called back, but I hated that one. My current one I applied to on my own, but I knew people already working for the company, and used them as references. So I guess most of my jobs were possible mostly because of other people.