Thread: Accidentally letting your car run out of gas

Creepy-

Default Accidentally letting your car run out of gas

Is accidentally letting your car run out of gas type-related?

I ask bc I have a friend, whom I've tentatively typed LIE, who has done this three times that I know of. Could it be related to Si-PoLR??

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    No idea, but I've done it...

It's partly related to laziness (I don't want to fill gas more than necessary, so I fill it max every time), it's partly for the thrill (can I drive just a BIT longer), and it's most of all due to absentmindedness (I start thinking about something, and drift off somewhere, and forget the problem until the car ... stops.) Only happened once, for real. My ILE husband has done it, too. He used to laugh at me.
    Hmm... I've gotten to the point where the little light comes on many times [happened this morning, ha], but never to the point where the car actually stopped. Not that I'm passing judgement on your or your husband, or my friend ;] I guess I'm just curious bc three times in the year or so I've known her seems like a lot to have the car actually run out of gas and stop. Perhaps she's just an odd duck

Creepy-

Lol... I've made it a sport to see HOW far the car can run with the red light on. Normally it runs about 50 km, so at the blinking stage I don't even care to think about filling gas....
    LOL I've done that too!! My friend and I were intrigued and we drove a good 15 or 20 mins post-light... don't remember how many miles though. Good times.

Hmm... Have you asked her WHY it happens?
    She said she just doesn't notice. She seemed a little embarassed about it, though that may have been bc I had driven out to bring some gas to her. Possible LIE + doesn't notice + embarassed made me wonder if it was a PoLR thing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL! I've never done that. Neither have any of the ILEs I've known. Although I WAS in the car when she drove off with the pump handle still in the gas tank. Did you know those things have a breakaway mechanism for just such instances?

I do have a problem keeping track of car maintenance. If it's something that I've done a million times before, it's less of a problem. If I have to research why my car is making a funny noise, figure out how much it should cost to have it fixed, then take it in to the mechanic, decide if he's telling me the truth or trying to sell me parts I don't need, and make a decision about whether to do it or get a second opinion... I dread it. When I know I have to do that, it drains me just thinking about it, and then I'm likely to put it off until it becomes a major problem instead of a minor one.

Even just changing a headlight. I knew I had to break out my owner's manual and figure out how to take everything apart, whether I needed any particular tools (that I most likely don't own), etc etc etc. Needless to say, it took me a reeeeeally long time to actually do it. Once I figured it out, it's incredibly easy, but there's a mountain of inertia that I have to get over FIRST.

I wish I lived in a city where I didn't need a car. THAT would be ideal.

Oh. Hello dyslexia. I misread that as "ILE" Oops.
    IEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never run out of gas. I used to imagine that the last quarter of a tank meant it was empty, and I would go and fill it up then. That way I never had to stress at all about running out of gas. My ENFj sister is always driving down to the last drop though and constantly having a melt down that we may be "stranded!!!" She will start to drive across town on an empty tank, while knowing it's empty. I don't get it.

I didn't have a problem w/ the routine stuff either, but yeah, w/ repairs or anything like that I would freak out and put it off because I hated when they'd lie to me at the place. One guy tried to tell me I needed a whole new set of new tires and it was unsafe, but I didn't really trust him and another place told me they were completely fine. annoying...I do enjoy not having a car these days, though of course there are always other hassles...though not having to park is worth it for me as I'm very bad at any sort of parking
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Creepy-Diana

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never run out of gas and I don't plan on testing that anytime soon. If I'm even slightly below a quarter of a tank of gas, a mental wedge gets planted in my mind until I get it taken care of.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never ever has happened to me.

Although it would be nice to see how far my car can go when the gas meter hits the 'E' (I can't go by my car light... since it never turns on. Maybe that should be another test)
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Is accidentally letting your car run out of gas type-related?

I ask bc I have a friend, whom I've tentatively typed LIE, who has done this three times that I know of. Could it be related to Si-PoLR??
    Is accidentally scratching the car a friend lend you type related?

Is accidentally breaking a glass type related?

Is accidentally fucking the girlfriend of your best friend type related?
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done it twice. Once when I was a teenager and my dad said it was MY responsibility because I had been driving the car at the time. But HE was the one who let it get that low! Anyway, I recently ran out of gas and had to call my neighbor (it was a cold January day) to help me. Luckily she's SEE and completely amazing--she drove to the gas station, filled up her container and came back to my house, picked me up and took me to my car. Embarrassing.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 40 liter tank in my car. The last time I filled it up (this Tuesday) I tanked 40 liters lol. I run it close ALL the time. I have a pretty good feel for how much is left. Only once have I ran out of gas and that was strangely enough when my car was parked and refused to start, or even give a sign of life outside the starting engine, until I got more gas into it hmmm.

I just can't take tanking if I have a quarter of a tank left it usually doesn't even enter my mind. Only if I am driving very far and into new territory and don't know when the next gas station will be do I tank a bit sooner... don't know why I am obstinate this way....
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels
    I've never run out of gas. I used to imagine that the last quarter of a tank meant it was empty, and I would go and fill it up then. That way I never had to stress at all about running out of gas.
    I can relate to this.

If it's anything physical, I opt for "way too much." Buy too many groceries. Work out too often. Give myself too much time for sleep (whether I get any or not). Keep my gas retentively high.

Running out's too stressful, as is consciously thinking about it. Better to stockpile and forget.

Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater
    Is accidentally scratching the car a friend lend you type related?

Is accidentally breaking a glass type related?

Is accidentally fucking the girlfriend of your best friend type related?
    Perchance you-related?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CILi View Post
    I can relate to this.

If it's anything physical, I opt for "way too much." Buy too many groceries. Work out too often. Give myself too much time for sleep (whether I get any or not). Keep my gas retentively high.

Running out's too stressful, as is consciously thinking about it. Better to stockpile and forget.
    I agree except for the working out too often thing...wish I could develop that habit!! lol. I do buy too many groceries and sleep a lot though LOL
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tempt fate a lot since I never fill up until my fuel light starts to pop on and I'll go ahead and drive around another 20 miles or so, but I've never actually ran out of gas.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will happen one day, but probably not more than once every 15 years. It's worth it....
    No! It will never happen! Ever! At least I hope not because I don't even carry a gas container thing so I'd have to call my SLI dad and admit how much I fail at life.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never run out of gas, my anxieties kick in when the light comes on because I can never grasp how long I have until I actually run out of gas. And because I have a credit card (and anything relating to money and interest and timing my bills is already another anxiety) is for a specific gas station, I have to figure how to get to that gas station within the path of my day and not run out in the middle of the road/highway. Cars overall are a mystery to me, so I stay hyper-aware of the factors I know I understand lol

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It reminds me of P irrationality (doing as little work as possible to achieve the proper results) or even (doing as little work as possible to achieve the proper results.)

"Can I get just a bit more out of this?"

I've read and seen this behavior from both types. Some odd commonality between P's and Te's. Weird how that works.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im exactly the same as all the other ENFp's on here. I have never run out of gas, im rarely ever close. I just filled up to full from a quarter tank yesterday. Ive never reallly been broke though, so filling the car up is never annoying to my wallet. I just cant predict when i could go out, or how late i will be running so i dont tempt fate. I do also agree that its a slight source of anxiety and i dont have a really good idea of how long i have left. It seems dangerous plummetting down the highway and running out petrol. Plus it just doesn't interest me to test it. Cars dont run without fuel the concept i understand lol.

My ESTj friends car used to be screwed so that it needed to be started rolling downhill. So he would park on his street and it would get closer to the bottom of the hill before it started each time until it was seconds before the end of the street. I dont know where he parked at uni if the hill spots were taken. That type of stress i would not like.
    Last edited by meatburger; 05-10-2009 at 04:07 AM.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never actually run out as in my car stopped going. But I freqently drive down to reserve tank (light coming on), and I only fill up when the light is on or just before then. This causes fairly regular panic over whether my car will actually stop, lol, but yeah, hasn't happened yet and I keep my fingers crossed (and talk my car into making it to the petrol station, lol).
    allez cuisine!