Thread: Enneagram type 1 with dominant sexual instinct - SX One

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Enneagram type 1 with dominant sexual instinct - SX One

Out of all types to me, I find that the enneagram one's are most interesting to me. I will pull these two description from ocean moonshine.

Sexual/Self-pres

When the sexual instinct is dominant, the One's fear of not being perfect manifests directly in the realm of close personal relationships. Close bonds are the focus of their perfectionism. They focus on having a perfect mate or perfect friends and family. Competition and intensity can enter the picture.

This subtype is a mass of contradictions. They want to let themselves go, but judge themselves for doing so. The difference between this type and the self-pres/sexual is that the sexual first intensity wins out. They can be highly critical of their spouses, expecting perfection from them. They can be very jealous and protective of their relationships. Their sense of humor can be sarcastic and biting. On the down side, they can be brutal to others while being very sensitive themselves to the slightest criticism. When their standards or ideals aren’t met, you’ll likely know about it. The anger and frustration is more visible in this subtype, and they also tend to be more emotionally demonstrative than the other non-sexual subtypes.

On the high side, the contradictions and struggle usually make for a very interesting person, combining high ideals with passion. Their blind spot can be their inability to see the impact of their intensity in the social realm.

Sexual/Social

The instinctual energy of this subtype is the most at odds with their dominant Oneness. This subtype is the most intense. They are looking for perfection in everyone they are close to, not just their spouses. They can be very charismatic and engaging. They can also be very persuasive, like the social/sexual. If they have an opinion you are going to hear about it. It’s very important for them to be understood. They are outwardly competitive. Like the social/sexual, they too may be mistyped as other enneatypes. The anger that is under the surface with the other instinctual variants of type One is much more likely to be apparent with this subtype. You always know where you stand with them. They can mimic type Eight's energy in this regard. On the high side, this type is warm and engaging, but on the down side this same energy can bring with it the full brunt of the One's anger and the need to be right.
    Does anyone know anybody personally who is a sexual instinct one and would like to share the perspective about them? The only good example I can think of someone who is a one sexual/social is Caesar Milan, the dog whisper on the national geographic channel.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Creepy-male

Reading that excerpt is so much Beta intense with this song:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y16tHRLzyXg]YouTube - Junkie XL - Cities in Dust[/ame]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, it doesn't have to be beta as enneagram one. But i think we all can agree that the most trademark socionic type being an one is the ISTj then follow by ISFj ESTj INFj.

http://typewatch.net/index.php?board=5.0? have lucky Lu typed as an Sx/Sp enneagram one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WffVJf1Xww]YouTube - Lucy Liu interview for the movie Kung Fu Panda[/ame]

I watch that video and I can see her being an ISTj, I am not exactly sure how it would be like if I live with her, and seeing that video I might or might not see the "mass contradiction" that Oceanmoonshine described, I can, If you will "Envision or see" her with the following bold.

Sexual/Self-pres

When the sexual instinct is dominant, the One's fear of not being perfect manifests directly in the realm of close personal relationships. Close bonds are the focus of their perfectionism. They focus on having a perfect mate or perfect friends and family. Competition and intensity can enter the picture.

This subtype is a mass of contradictions. They want to let themselves go, but judge themselves for doing so. The difference between this type and the self-pres/sexual is that the sexual first intensity wins out. They can be highly critical of their spouses, expecting perfection from them. They can be very jealous and protective of their relationships. Their sense of humor can be sarcastic and biting. On the down side, they can be brutal to others while being very sensitive themselves to the slightest criticism. When their standards or ideals aren’t met, you’ll likely know about it. The anger and frustration is more visible in this subtype, and they also tend to be more emotionally demonstrative than the other non-sexual subtypes.

On the high side, the contradictions and struggle usually make for a very interesting person, combining high ideals with passion. Their blind spot can be their inability to see the impact of their intensity in the social realm.
    Last edited by 07490; 05-03-2009 at 12:54 AM.

1)

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post

Does anyone know anybody personally who is a sexual instinct one and would like to share the perspective about them? The only good example I can think of someone who is a one sexual/social is Caesar Milan, the dog whisper on the national geographic channel.
    Actually, I knew this one kid briefly who I'm pretty sure was a sexual instinct one. He was very intense and got irritated easily. I know that he was raised by Christian parents and told that you were supposed to wait to have sex until you were married, etc, and without even knowing him that well I could tell that he was really conflicted between his natural desires and what he believed to be "right." (He even mentioned to me briefly how torn up he was over this.) Anyway, we didn't really keep in touch, but erm. yeah. I really don't know that much about him except that he wants to go into business and is very disciplined.

Also, I am 1w9 sp/sx, but I don't think this is what you are looking for. (:
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    Also, I am 1w9 sp/sx, but I don't think this is what you are looking for. (:

Part of the reason why I started this thread was because I work with a ISTj 1w9 sp/sx. she is definity 1w9 sp/sx and I explain socionics to her. All in all I think she, unlike most ISTj I have met is very withdrawn and volatile, she has a soft spot too, definity, but she gets irritated very easily to a point I think it is due to the repression she has over things, she is an Sp first and that Spness will get her so sensitive over things that people will think it is natural part of things like initiating conversation with her. There is absouletly no way I can compare her, with you. I am also sure she is an ISTj as I don't get people's typing wrong on people I know which i have thought about their typing. I have even send her the socionics.com +/- profile and she confirm that it sounds exactly liked her. maybe even if you two are suppose to be a look-a-like, your Sp focus is on Introvert feeling, where as she has a priority on introvert thinking. Through I have a pretty good impression of who you are, she isn't at all like you. Coming home from work I ponder whether I think she is either a heavy depressive person, and she has this weird laugh at things where it looks like she hates herself for who she is. She once also told me she has a pretty clear idea of who she is/want.

1)

2)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A random thought I have in my head. As much as I like my duals, and I am pretty sure I will be spending one with the rest of my life, I think they can be very unstable people. One moment they are delicate and the next are rough, and back again. That is where I see the volatile in her that is different from you. I am sure you can also get mad at things but it is sure from feeling based things where people can understand, as oppose to rationalization of the mind Introvert thinkers have that their madness that sprung out spontaneously that is often misunderstood than Introvert feeling right or wrong.

1)

2)

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part of the reason why I started this thread was because I work with a ISTj 1w9 sp/sx. she is definity 1w9 sp/sx and I explain socionics to her. All in all I think she, unlike most ISTj I have met is very withdrawn and volatile, she has a soft spot too, definity, but she gets irritated very easily to a point I think it is due to the repression she has over things, she is an Sp first and that Spness will get her so sensitive over things that people will think it is natural part of things like initiating conversation with her. There is absouletly no way I can compare her with you. I am also sure she is an ISTj as I don't get people's typing wrong on people I know which i have thought about their typing. I have even send her the socionics.com +/- profile and she confirm that it sounds exactly liked her. maybe even if you two are suppose to be a look-a-like, your Sp focus is on Introvert feeling, where as she has a priority on introvert thinking. Through I have a pretty good impression of who you are, she isn't at all like you. Coming home from work I ponder whether I think she is either a heavy depressive person, and she has this weird laugh at things where it looks like she hates herself for who she is. She once also told me she has a pretty clear idea of who she is/want.
    What do you mean by the section that I bolded? How does the sp instinct lead to a sensitivity toward certain things? I have not heard this before and I am curious.

Also, do you know a lot of ISTjs? I must admit that do not, but the ones that I do know are not outwardly unstable like this girl that you have described. I'm not trying to imply that I don't believe she is ISTj - but perhaps she is not the best type exemplar.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    What do you mean by the section that I bolded? How does the sp instinct lead to a sensitivity toward certain things? I have not heard this before and I am curious.

Also, do you know a lot of ISTjs? I must admit that do not, but the ones that I do know are not outwardly unstable like this girl that you have described. I'm not trying to imply that I don't believe she is ISTj - but perhaps she is not the best type exemplar.
    Unstable as I mean just a sudden rough changes in attitude, me being an Sp and Si polr I sometimes have a hard time knowing whether something that is being said will make people feel uncomfortable, I can only relate a sense of not saying the wrong things based on my intuition but not the comfort level in the physical concrete reality. This problem will properly exaggerate things with her. But as far as I can see, she is definity more prone to anger than any other ISTj I know and she always has a incredibly rough tone with the customer. this can be exaggerated by people acting stupid or trying to bother you by asking irrelevant questions to things. I believe she does have a sense of humor and likes Beta joke but at the same time I think she expects no bullshit and is very analytical to a point that she expect "things to be that way". I am properly the only one out of 20 people where I can have a decent form of meaningful communication with her besides work, and even then a few things I can say like asking "how is pharmacy school going along" can irritate her, I expect this to be part of her self preservationness that something should not be asked at times.

1)

2)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She is like niffweed but in a female ISTj form. both of their volatility are exactly alike.

1)

2)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A random thought I have in my head. As much as I like my duals, and I am pretty sure I will be spending one with the rest of my life, I think they can be very unstable people. One moment they are delicate and the next are rough, and back again. That is where I see the volatile in her that is different from you. I am sure you can also get mad at things but it is sure from feeling based things where people can understand, as oppose to rationalization of the mind Introvert thinkers have that their madness that sprung out spontaneously that is often misunderstood than Introvert feeling right or wrong.
    Oh I've had close encounters with 2 male duals, and I can tell you, you guys make us unstable! Honestly, you guys know how to push our buttons and I find myself becoming a character of myself....overemphasizing certain principles and becoming more aggressive...and I think it's because you guys provoke it and need it for certainty.

But I'm not sure that addresses your topic. Yeah I guess there is a roughness to us which we probably don't entirely see (and LSIs probably see things in EIEs that you don't). I probably wouldn't even recognise this roughness all the time or see how intense I am as it's my default mode. It's probably due to weak Fe. But I think LSIs have the potential to let loose in an appropriate environment. I would say the person you see at work would be very strict with themselves and others (to a lesser degree)....very focused in general about getting the job done (at the expense of others) ...and getting it done *correctly* and towards certain *goals*

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm an E1, but I'm an sp/sx.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP8sDnNasAU]YouTube - Dog Whisperer Gives Dog Advice to the Obama Family[/ame]

Cesar Millan seems 3w2ish. He exudes too much cheesy warmth for type 1.
    Last edited by MellowMarcello; 05-03-2009 at 01:48 AM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

He seems like a typical laid-back Mexican that benefits a lot from social liberalism.

Please don't look so deeply into things. It's annoying.

But don't think I haven't been through the same predicament.

I'm here to crush your illusions and concepts, show you nerds how little you REALLY know about the world and truly inspire and empower the human race. You have perceptions and insights. That's great. It also gets you nowhere.

It is me. It always has been all about me!

I'm the mother fucking internet Hero.

And I'm telling you right now....this mexican's type doesn't matter. He's there to help train your dogs. Psychoanalyzing him is dumb. Why? You will all just come to different conclusions on what he really is, with no objective evidence or anything that can be substantial. I know the right answer FEELS 'right' to you but guess what? Even if you are right, your concepts- it doesn't mean truly anything of what exactly he is capable of. You have to get off your lazy ass, MEET him, spend time with him in a VARIETY OF SOCIAL SITUATIONS and actually TALK TO HIM IN-DEPTH ABOUT MANY, MANY TOPICS. Before you can even THINK about judging him, and thinking you have an idea about him and guess what, THE MEXICAN WOULD STILL SURPRISE YOU.

You can't figure people out. That's why people are so amazing.

Name 5 new skills you could learn to do today that doesn't have anything to do with psychoanalyzing people. Just 5.

Creepy-Cyclops

Numbers, that you find E1 is interesting, is interesting I think, because all the dominant Ti's i've met IRL are E1's. I can't comment on forum E1's/LXI's though.

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    He seems like a typical laid-back Mexican that benefits a lot from social liberalism.

Please don't look so deeply into things. It's annoying.

But don't think I haven't been through the same predicament.

I'm here to crush your illusions and concepts, show you nerds how little you REALLY know about the world and truly inspire and empower the human race. You have perceptions and insights. That's great. It also gets you nowhere.

It is me. It always has been all about me!

I'm the mother fucking internet Hero.

And I'm telling you right now....this mexican's type doesn't matter. He's there to help train your dogs. Psychoanalyzing him is dumb. Why? You will all just come to different conclusions on what he really is, with no objective evidence or anything that can be substantial. I know the right answer FEELS 'right' to you but guess what? Even if you are right, your concepts- it doesn't mean truly anything of what exactly he is capable of. You have to get off your lazy ass, MEET him, spend time with him in a VARIETY OF SOCIAL SITUATIONS and actually TALK TO HIM IN-DEPTH ABOUT MANY, MANY TOPICS. Before you can even THINK about judging him, and thinking you have an idea about him and guess what, THE MEXICAN WOULD STILL SURPRISE YOU.

You can't figure people out. That's why people are so amazing.

Name 5 new skills you could learn to do today that doesn't have anything to do with psychoanalyzing people. Just 5.

Blah blah blah...what kind of keyboard warrior are you?

Lemme know when you get to 3000 posts here, caps-lock boy.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

=(

Okay! I will. =)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Numbers, that you find E1 is interesting, is interesting I think, because all the dominant Ti's i've met IRL are E1's. I can't comment on forum E1's/LXI's though.
    I like them because they give a damn about things, and one of the more serious types.

1)

2)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BandD I think you are the one that needs your advice the most, do not call everyone who is into intellectual discussion to do something else, they are here by choice, just like people who are into math or science major are there by choice, you wont called a quantum physic scientist a nerd and a failure in life, I think you have gotten a really bad idea of how a healthy minded person is really suppose to be, The only thing evident in you is that you are attracted to the street life, that is fine with me but don't go patronizing people and make it sound like you are there to save them.

1)

2)

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shakealittle View Post
    Oh I've had close encounters with 2 male duals, and I can tell you, you guys make us unstable! Honestly, you guys know how to push our buttons and I find myself becoming a character of myself....overemphasizing certain principles and becoming more aggressive...and I think it's because you guys provoke it and need it for certainty.

But I'm not sure that addresses your topic. Yeah I guess there is a roughness to us which we probably don't entirely see (and LSIs probably see things in EIEs that you don't). I probably wouldn't even recognise this roughness all the time or see how intense I am as it's my default mode. It's probably due to weak Fe. But I think LSIs have the potential to let loose in an appropriate environment. I would say the person you see at work would be very strict with themselves and others (to a lesser degree)....very focused in general about getting the job done (at the expense of others) ...and getting it done *correctly* and towards certain *goals*
    I know this is a necro post but someone linked me to this thread. Sounds like conflictor, not dual, if it was making you a "character of yourself" and unstable.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's discuss this more. How do you identify an sx One? What sx Ones do you know in real life? etc. etc.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a pretty great enneagram type, I've had a lot of friends like that over the years, we often connect over our disdain for politically correct talk, and our love for competition.
    One of my best friends growing up was a sx ESI-Se 1w9
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

A few additional SX One descriptions I've found. The first one by CN sounds closer to SX/SP 1 and even SP/SX 1 with social-last undertones. The second one is closer to SX/SO 1 with a pronounced SX subtype (the 'fireside' sx/so).

Claudio Naranjo on SX 1s: "I'm going to start with the Sexual 1 first. Oscar Ichazo, from whom I learned, called the issue here in Spanish with the word "silo" [sp?]. This word in Spanish has a double translation, and it took me a while to realize that one is more relevant that the other. It's "estrus", it's "estrus" and "zeal" at the same time. It's like the quality of an animal in heat. It's an especial intensity of desire. You can say that anger potentates desire. Anger infuses any of the desires of the person with a special intensity. The person feels "I HAVE to have it. I have the RIGHT to." There are many people who ... well we have collectively behaved very much like that at some times, like when the emerald or the diamond mines in South Africa were exploited by the Europeans, and it was argued by some that this was not just, that it belonged to Africans: why should this wealth go to Europe? Many people with complete conviction said: "But what use could it have for them? They don't have culture. It obviously belongs to us because we know what to do - we are civilized." So there are people who have this mind of a conquistador, like the Spanish conquistarores - in the name of the most holy emperor, the most Christian king, needed to take all the gold from the Aztecs ... You can say it is a passion, it is a need, but it's almost inseparable to a sense of feeling "having a right to". I'll tell you a little anecdote, that finished making this clear for me, there was a young man in one my groups who was saying: "When I was 6 I liked putting my penis between my sister's buttocks. And my mother said "Don't do that!". And I said "Why not?"" I had never heard that answer from a little boy: "Why not?" In the culture where we live, there is so much anti-sexual sentiment, the sinfulness of sex is so pervasive that it's very hard not to feel caught, not to feel dirty, not to feel a victim, not to run away. It's traumatic to be already seen. But the Sexual 1 can have that attitude: "why not". It's the intensity of the desire itself that makes rationalization almost imperative. So this is a kind of a rhinoceros of a person: "go to it!". Very different from the Social subtype.

According to Naranjo the counter-phobic subtype of Type 1 is the Sexual (SX) 1 that is more likely to express their anger without repression and shame:

"Maybe I should say at this point that in every case, in every point of the enneagram, there are two subtypes that represent the passion, and there is one that is upside down: there is a counter-passion type. You all know of a character known as counter-phobic, described also in psychoanalysis. It's a kind of 6, the kind of 6 that is unafraid. There is a fairy tale in Grimm Brother's collection - John who was not afraid of anything ... I don't know the English titles, I read in Spanish ... there's a kind of characterization of some people as "here goes the hero, here comes the person who is unafraid and bold, bold and forward", and maybe ignores, maybe is even out of touch with his fear, or perhaps bluffs and doesn't just show it. That is true of every point in the Enneagram."

Sexual 1: "Zeal" - Sexual 1s focus on perfecting others; they are more reformers than perfectionists. The only 1 who is explicitly angry, they act out of anger through their intense desire to improve others and get what they want. They feel entitled in the way a reformer or zealot feels entitled: they believe that they have a right to change society and get what they want because they have a higher understanding of the truth and the reasons behind “the right way to be.” The countertype of the 1s, they are more impulsive and outwardly angry; they go against the “counter-instinctive” tendency of the 1 to repress anger and impulses.

1 SX - Sexual/Feeling 1

Anger that feels like fire. A white hot rage that seizes their guts if a relationship is threatened.

This is anger directed to those who take what the want without necessarily deserving it. This is permissible anger, based on the misconduct of associates or a mate. The focal point is fidelity, but jealousy extends far beyond a sexual agreement. You can be jealous of people who get promoted, whose ideas are taken more seriously, who are popular at work.

More unconventional and most free of the 1's to show anger. Criticism is directed outward.

Obsessively comparing themselves with others.

There is a need to feel right. You work hard at it and feel jealous when you're not validated. Saying "I deserve recognition" or "You should have paid attention to me" feels safer than "I want" or "I need". It is unthinkable to reach out openly and take what you want; but in cases of misconduct, "this has to be stopped" replaces the forbidden thought "I want to have".

Feeling of being cleansed and freed with the expression of repressed anger.

Likes the intensity of being fully and passionately engaged with another person.

1's have difficulty recognizing what they want and in allowing themselves to have pleasure, that any threat to gratification feels like losing a lifeline. A threat to sanctioned pleasure is maddening. "How dare you take what's rightfully mine!" You've earned the right to be loved. You deserve sexual pleasure. You're angry to being compared to a rival. If you have been perfect there would be no contest. Sexual jealousy is acted out in an angry, possessive way.

Partner idealized. React with jealous judgment if their beloved acts in less-than-ideal ways.

Once a genuine connection has been made, any threat from the outsider feels as if a lifeline is being cut. When desire for another can be honestly felt, any interference brings up intense possessiveness.

Monitoring the mates actions and of critically judging whatever comes between the self and the mate.

Try to control partner. Watch every step and fear that others might be more attractive to their partners. Inside they boil with jealousy and fear loss, but are unable to admit and express this imperfect feeling. The jealousy comes from the fear that another could be more perfect.

Jealousy (rivalry centered around perfection; explosive expression or total repression of criticalness)

Sex with anger/jealousy. Takes sexual energy into zeal. A passion to do things right, to give brilliance to one's being. A passion for being righteous and to do something perfectly. The true reformer.

Jealousy quickly becomes possessive. You can't drop it.

You have to check up, you must go see, you have to know exactly who said what to whom. You want names and dates. You want confrontation. The rival shouldn't be here.

May be possessive and jealous of mate and very self-critical in comparing self against potential rival for mate; also angry and resentful of others who just take what they want.

Desire to find perfect person. "Till death do us part". Expect partner, family, friend, to be perfect. Shared set on standards. Idealization of partnership. Don't spoil our perfection.

Disappointment when others don't measure up, so they must push others to share their standards. Proper-fears others will fall short.

Emphasis on fidelity. Fears of abandonment. Even with others feels lonely.

Difficult to justify sexual instinct need. Idealized mate to fully express intimacy.

Checking "where were you?" Accounting for others' time.

Undermine others so that they are needed. Erupt out of control. The other causes me to be obsessed. Pushing self on others. Can appear 8-like and assertive. Can have sadistic fantasies.

Purge desire nature. Idealization. Platonic-pure relationships. Virginal withholding.

Can be supportive and forgiving, as well as forbearing.

Patient and even playful and joking with other are part of the idealized connection.

Response when entering or during a relationship is the belief that "I am hopelessly flawed and imperfect and unworthy of the other", who is idealized--attribute to the other a perfection that the other could not possibly have and short-change myself. This belief is what generates that insecurity, jealousy and possessiveness.

The sexual 1 person had the strongest identification with 4. The felt they need to have the perfect mate, and the idealized relationship. The sexual 1 went on to explain that the sanctity of having perfect love gave a real sense of brilliance, alivenesses, and freedom. However any violation to an intimate relationship was devastating, generating the white hot heat of humiliation and feeling of despair. The sexual 1 saw themselves as more powerful than the other 1's describing an 8 like accessibility to anger when they knew they were right or felt violated.

I think most of us here have agreed to Jordan Peterson being a real life example of One SX.

Last edited by silke; 03-07-2018 at 03:48 AM.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know a fictional example of an sx 1w2, and he is one of the most interesting characters I have ever come across. Charismatic, powerful, refined, with a very strong sense of justice (although not exempt of 1-ish hypocrisy), and extremely possesive of loved ones.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    A few additional SX One descriptions I've found. The first one by CN sounds closer to SX/SP 1 and even SP/SX 1 with social-last undertones. The second one is closer to SX/SO 1 with a pronounced SX subtype (the 'fireside' sx/so).

Claudio Naranjo on SX 1s: "I'm going to start with the Sexual 1 first. Oscar Ichazo, from whom I learned, called the issue here in Spanish with the word "silo" [sp?]. This word in Spanish has a double translation, and it took me a while to realize that one is more relevant that the other. It's "estrus", it's "estrus" and "zeal" at the same time. It's like the quality of an animal in heat. It's an especial intensity of desire. You can say that anger potentates desire. Anger infuses any of the desires of the person with a special intensity. The person feels "I HAVE to have it. I have the RIGHT to." There are many people who ... well we have collectively behaved very much like that at some times, like when the emerald or the diamond mines in South Africa were exploited by the Europeans, and it was argued by some that this was not just, that it belonged to Africans: why should this wealth go to Europe? Many people with complete conviction said: "But what use could it have for them? They don't have culture. It obviously belongs to us because we know what to do - we are civilized." So there are people who have this mind of a conquistador, like the Spanish conquistarores - in the name of the most holy emperor, the most Christian king, needed to take all the gold from the Aztecs ... You can say it is a passion, it is a need, but it's almost inseparable to a sense of feeling "having a right to". I'll tell you a little anecdote, that finished making this clear for me, there was a young man in one my groups who was saying: "When I was 6 I liked putting my penis between my sister's buttocks. And my mother said "Don't do that!". And I said "Why not?"" I had never heard that answer from a little boy: "Why not?" In the culture where we live, there is so much anti-sexual sentiment, the sinfulness of sex is so pervasive that it's very hard not to feel caught, not to feel dirty, not to feel a victim, not to run away. It's traumatic to be already seen. But the Sexual 1 can have that attitude: "why not". It's the intensity of the desire itself that makes rationalization almost imperative. So this is a kind of a rhinoceros of a person: "go to it!". Very different from the Social subtype.

According to Naranjo the counter-phobic subtype of Type 1 is the Sexual (SX) 1 that is more likely to express their anger without repression and shame:

"Maybe I should say at this point that in every case, in every point of the enneagram, there are two subtypes that represent the passion, and there is one that is upside down: there is a counter-passion type. You all know of a character known as counter-phobic, described also in psychoanalysis. It's a kind of 6, the kind of 6 that is unafraid. There is a fairy tale in Grimm Brother's collection - John who was not afraid of anything ... I don't know the English titles, I read in Spanish ... there's a kind of characterization of some people as "here goes the hero, here comes the person who is unafraid and bold, bold and forward", and maybe ignores, maybe is even out of touch with his fear, or perhaps bluffs and doesn't just show it. That is true of every point in the Enneagram."

Sexual 1: "Zeal" - Sexual 1s focus on perfecting others; they are more reformers than perfectionists. The only 1 who is explicitly angry, they act out of anger through their intense desire to improve others and get what they want. They feel entitled in the way a reformer or zealot feels entitled: they believe that they have a right to change society and get what they want because they have a higher understanding of the truth and the reasons behind “the right way to be.” The countertype of the 1s, they are more impulsive and outwardly angry; they go against the “counter-instinctive” tendency of the 1 to repress anger and impulses.

1 SX - Sexual/Feeling 1

Anger that feels like fire. A white hot rage that seizes their guts if a relationship is threatened.

Sexual jealousy is acted out in an angry, possessive way. A threat to sanctioned pleasure is maddening. "How dare you take what's rightfully mine!"

1's have difficulty recognizing what they want and in allowing themselves to have pleasure, that any threat to gratification feels like losing a lifeline.

You've earned the right to be loved. You deserve sexual pleasure. You're angry to being compared to a rival.

If you have been perfect there would be no contest.

This is anger directed to those who take what the want without necessarily deserving it.

This is permissible anger, based on the misconduct of associates or a mate.

The focal point is fidelity, but jealousy extends far beyond a sexual agreement. You can be jealous of people who get promoted, whose ideas are taken more seriously, who are popular at work.

There is a need to feel right. You work hard at it and feel jealous when you're not validated.

Saying "I deserve recognition" or "You should have paid attention to me" feels safer than "I want" or "I need".

It is unthinkable to reach out openly and take what you want; but in cases of misconduct, "this has to be stopped" replaces the forbidden thought "I want to have".

Monitoring the mates actions and of critically judging whatever comes between the self and the mate. Once a genuine connection has been made, any threat from the outsider feels as if a lifeline is being cut.

When desire for another can be honestly felt, any interference brings up intense possessiveness.

Partner idealized. React with jealous judgment if their beloved acts in less-than-ideal ways.

Try to control partner. Watch every step and fear that others might be more attractive to their partners. Inside they boil with jealousy and fear loss, but are unable to admit and express this imperfect feeling. The jealousy comes from the fear that another could be more perfect.

Jealousy quickly becomes possessive. You can't drop it.

You have to check up, you must go see, you have to know exactly who said what to whom. You want names and dates. You want confrontation. The rival shouldn't be here.

Obsessively comparing themselves with others.

Likes the intensity of being fully and passionately engaged with another person.

Jealousy (rivalry centered around perfection; explosive expression or total repression of criticalness)

Sex with anger/jealousy. Takes sexual energy into zeal. A passion to do things right, to give brilliance to one's being. A passion for being righteous and to do something perfectly. The true reformer.

Can appear 8ish and assertive. More unconventional and most free of the 1's to show anger. Criticism is directed outward. Can have sadistic fantasies.

May be possessive and jealous of mate and very self critical in comparing self against potential rival for mate; also angry and resentful of others who just take what they want.

Shared standards. Idealization of partnership. Desire to find perfect person. "Till death do us part". Expect partner, family, friend, to be perfect-common set on standards. Disappointment when others don't measure up, so they must push others to share their standards. Proper-fears others will fall short. Emphasis on fidelity. Constant fears of abandonment. Even with others feels lonely. Don't spoil our perfection. Difficult to justify sexual instinct need. Idealized mate to fully express intimacy. Constant checking on-where were you? Accounting for others' time. Undermine others so that they are needed. Erupt out of control. The other causes me to be obsessed. Pushing self on others. Purge desire nature. Idealization. Platonic-pure relationships. Virginal withholding.

The sexual 1 had the strongest identification with 4. The felt they need to have the perfect mate, and the idealized relationship. The sexual 1 went on to explain that the sanctity of having perfect love gave a real sense of brilliance, alivenesses, and freedom. However any violation to an intimate relationship was devastating, generating the white hot heat of humiliation and feeling of despair. The sexual 1 saw themselves as more powerful than the other 1's describing an 8 like accessibility to anger when they knew they were right or felt violated.

Feeling of being cleansed and freed with the expression of repressed anger.

Response when entering or during a relationship is the belief that I am hopelessly flawed and imperfect and unworthy of the other, who is idealized--attribute to the other a perfection that the other could not possibly have and short-change myself. This belief is what generates that insecurity, jealousy and possessiveness.

Can be supportive and forgiving, as well as forbearing. Patient and even playful and joking with other are part of the idealized connection.

I think most of us here have agreed to Jordan Peterson being a real life example of One SX.

I believe the second one of those is Chesnut's, right? I have issues with sx One descriptions that describe it as being a "countertype". I myself am very much a "phobic" One, to put it one way; I would never describe myself as "Eight-ish", though I do relate to the themes of jealousy and a feeling of deserving things.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobus View Post
    I believe the second one of those is Chesnut's, right? I have issues with sx One descriptions that describe it as being a "countertype". I myself am very much a "phobic" One, to put it one way; I would never describe myself as "Eight-ish", though I do relate to the themes of jealousy and a feeling of deserving things.
    The phobic thingy is 6 specific. For other enneagram types the quality of being the countertype has nothing to do with being phobic or not.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am aware of that, thus the quotations around "phobic" and my use of the phrase "to put it one way". Phobic/counterphobic Six is simply the most well known example of the type/countertype dichotomy.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Don't think so. It was posted up on the old Enneagram Institute forum, so probably these are notes from one of the conferences or workshops EI has hosted. A 1 SX/SO, as is your current self-typing, who would also fit the profile of "phobic" is difficult to picture - what is it like?

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    Don't think so. It was posted up on the old Enneagram Institute forum, so probably these are notes from one of the conferences or workshops EI has hosted. A 1 SX/SO, as is your current self-typing, who would also fit the profile of "phobic" is difficult to picture - what is it like?
    Well now that I've actually looked at the damn thing, I identify with most of it. I just still have the 1 fear of expressing intense emotion, though that's not to say I never do. I'm still reserved like a normal 1.
    What I was trying to say in my original post was that Naranjo's and Chesnut's (which, of course, was not one of the descriptions you gave) description of SX 1 perhaps over-emphasized the potential to be Eight-ish, and under-emphasized the natural 1 tendency (particularly the 1w9 tendency) to be reserved emotionally.
    You've put Jordan Peterson as an example if SX 1, I wouldn't say that he's Eight-ish, though perhaps intense in a non-direct manner.

TIM
    LSI-Se sx
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    25 Thread(s)

Well now that I've actually looked at the damn thing, I identify with most of it. I just still have the 1 fear of expressing intense emotion, though that's not to say I never do. I'm still reserved like a normal 1.
    What I was trying to say in my original post was that Naranjo's and Chesnut's (which, of course, was not one of the descriptions you gave) description of SX 1 perhaps over-emphasized the potential to be Eight-ish, and under-emphasized the natural 1 tendency (particularly the 1w9 tendency) to be reserved emotionally.
    You've put Jordan Peterson as an example if SX 1, I wouldn't say that he's Eight-ish, though perhaps intense in a non-direct manner.
    Yeah, I think 1 sx, especially if extraverted, got the 8's energy but with a certain control, that is, it's without the unconstrained emotionality that 8s can have, so it doesn't look the same as an 8, no. But apparently some people can mistake it for 8 still. Not in Jordan Peterson's case though, lol, he's obviously very constrained and introverted, though yes he's intense internally.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to bump the thread again, but what are some more examples of sx 1s, real or fictional, and how do they show the sx 1 "neurosis"?