Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ILIs-INTps what is your current job/occupation or major?

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ILIs-INTps what is your current job/occupation or major?

Since I am quitting my job once again, I'm curious what kind of jobs and studies the ILI's on this forum do at this moment.

Creepy-Cyclops

Hey Jarno, i'm not an INTp, but I wanted to say good luck with your new career.

I know an INTp who is a science teacher, and another one who is the sole IT person for a small company. He is a quiet fellow, just maintains the software and hardware, he rarely has to meet with clients in his day job. In his spare time he does some self employed work doing web sites for people. He takes a fraction of the money companies would charge, but it is still a good earnings booster for him.

I also know a retired INTp who used to run a big office in the financial sector.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Jarno, i'm not an INTp, but I wanted to say good luck with your new career.

I know an INTp who is a policeman.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

INTp composer here. I write symphonic scores for movies and personal expression of my imagination. I'm pretty sure I can make a career out of it, because I've been told I am very talented by everyone I decide to brag out keys infront of, though I'm not reknown, quite young, and have yet to go to school. I have never tried to show off anything to anyone really. Every piece given away has been written for movies and I'm trying to stay anonymous for the time being because fame will surprise me too much.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stop lying, it's okay if you work at a fast food restaurant.

I got this "diabolical mastermind"-thing going on, in my secret lair.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post
    I got this "diabolical mastermind"-thing going on, in my secret lair.
    It's not really a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    lol it's one step up from being "henchman in an evil international organisation" aka working in a fast food restaurant
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really need to find my self a six figure income job, two house, one i can rent it out, and a vacation home where in the inter is near a ski resort, in the summer i can go to water park, smelling the open air. I don't need two cars, one is enough but it should be nice.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I speculate on currencies, commodities and stock indeces for a living

Priot to that, I worked full time at various posts in fin. services, investment bank, consultancies etc
    INTJ [mbti]
    INTp [socionics]

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im going to be a private investor. im not going to work, im going to play the stock market and get rich. i can't hold out a structured job because i hate every form of useful work.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm currently unemployed, but probably going to work at a stock trade company.

I used to work in the insurance branch. But that sucked.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

real estate
    INTp
    sx/sp

Default hahah

all you INTPs are cute.

NO HOMO if you're a guy.

forEvER

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it's that I'm still young and immature, but this whole persona of INTp jobs, involving business and managing people, seems somewhat out of my area of expertise, and rather quite reality based. Then again I'm not underestimating my skills, I'm just not very "out-there" and business or job oriented. I've never been that interested, even though I used to create some of my own businesses as a child and interested in architecture and home-sale, with a personal mentality in mind, nothing so widespread. I've never pictured myself as the one behind the operation. I'm probably just being immature like always. Afraid of reality. I have to breech my walls and face reality.

So given this comment and my concern, give me some history on your career resume, what got you into your career and so on. I'd like to hear what you have to say from a personal perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by betterthandead View Post
    Stop lying, it's okay if you work at a fast food restaurant.
    No I really am a composer. I guess I should be grateful for having a quite rare ear. I've worked at roundtable, but pathetically sucked at paying attention, doing chores, even talking with people. It's so physically demanding.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Maybe it's that I'm still young and immature, but this whole persona of INTp jobs, involving business and managing people, seems somewhat out of my area of expertise, and rather quite reality based. Then again I'm not underestimating my skills, I'm just not very "out-there" and business or job oriented. I've never been that interested, even though I used to create some of my own businesses as a child and interested in architecture and home-sale, with a personal mentality in mind, nothing so widespread. I've never pictured myself as the one behind the operation. I'm probably just being immature like always. Afraid of reality. I have to breech my walls and face reality.

So given this comment and my concern, give me some history on your career resume, what got you into your career and so on. I'd like to hear what you have to say from a personal perspective.

No I really am a composer. I guess I should be grateful for having a quite rare ear. I've worked at roundtable, but pathetically sucked at paying attention, doing chores, even talking with people. It's so physically demanding.
    Seems to me like you are on a good path. Most of us INTp's don't desire to be behind any "operations" either, at least not business operations that involve managing groups of people. The idea of doing something we like, and being independent is what's important. Not gaining power or money or "fitting into and rising through" a certain business circuit.

As for facing reality, why should you be afraid of it? Much of reality is there to provide you with opportunities, new knowledge and for you to reshape and change it, to your liking.
    INTJ [mbti]
    INTp [socionics]

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein

Coldest of the Socion EyeSeeCold's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Possible careers/occupations for ILIs-INTps

All should center around the basic combination of or trend-ful speculation + practical logic.

Marketing Research Analysis
    Internal Auditor
    Accounting
    History
    Economy
    Stock broker/Private stock trader

Any more specialized areas?

EDIT:
    Philosophy
    Psychology
    Last edited by EyeSeeCold; 11-10-2010 at 02:56 AM.
    (i)NTFS

An ILI at rest tends to remain at rest
    and an ILI in motion is probably not an ILI

31.9FM KICE Radio ♫ *56K Warning*
    My work on Inert/Contact subtypes

Socionics Visual Identification(V.I.) Database
    Socionics Tests Database
    Comprehensive List of Socionics Sites

Fidei Defensor

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do what this guy did:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aixelsyd View Post
    I think with valued Fi, many go for a more artistic bent. Many I know are interested in music, writing, philosophy, and the like. It's really a matter of what interests the individual and then putting their ego IMs into action and so interpreting their interests in their own cognitive voice. Oh, and psychology is one where I see a lot. I really find them everywhere, but I guess I listed what I did because of common interests.
    Yea philosophy and psychology are easily the best pick when it comes to interests, but I think they also bring the most skepticism about the future when it comes to finances.

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    Right place at the right time..
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    All should center around the basic combination of or trend-ful speculation + practical logic.

Marketing Research Analysis
    Internal Auditor
    Accounting
    History
    Economy
    Stock broker/Private stock trader

Any more specialized areas?

EDIT:
    Philosophy
    Psychology
    When you say psychology do you mean more of the therapy, research, or application in the business world? (or something entirely else)
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right place at the right time..
    No way. He's been actively at it throughout his life. There was no magical oppurtunity or lucky moment. Just talent, effort and commitment.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSeeCold View Post
    Accounting
    All accountants that I know are ISTj.

Because it's accurate work, which is what ISTj's excel at and maybe even like to do.
    Also the calculations is something they like.

Some ILI"s are mathematicians I think. For the rest the list is correct.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by labcoat View Post
    No way. He's been actively at it throughout his life. There was no magical oppurtunity or lucky moment. Just talent, effort and commitment.
    Yep, he's the master, though he must inevatably have had some luck, cause there are more people as good as him, and when everything else is equal, luck is the determining factor.

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Socionist: Socionics and Careers

I'll start off this topic with a question: Which of the following would provide the greatest assistance when making a career choice?

a) a socionic type test
    b) the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory
    c) the Keirsey Temperament Sorter
    d) a career preference test

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e) a, b and c
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omg why accountant. That's an horrible job for an intuitive type
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Banned
    TIM
    ENTp_sub me
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

History or Biologist or Philosopher!

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Omg why accountant. That's an horrible job for an intuitive type
    stop stealing my responses

'-)

six turnin', four burnin' stevENTj's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Timely thread...

I was laid off from my job last week as a product development and support engineer which is why I haven't posted at all. Nothing like having the ground yanked out from under you. I was up for promotion, and had been kicking ass at everything they were throwing at me all year too. Layoffs had been anticipated for awhile and rumors were going around, but nobody had any idea how severe and how targeted they'd be. My company basically laid off nearly half of their hardware design staff. Pretty brutal. I thought I was safe due to how busy I've been all year, but I guess not.

I've been doing product development and new product introduction engineering jobs like this since I started my career, but I think it's just a little bit too much for me. Taking the layoff as an opportunity to explore systems engineering type jobs which are more than and I think might be more to my liking. I've noticed over the years that lots of the real 'guru' types getting down to the nitty-gritty of product development are indeed Ti types, both beta an alpha, but that the systems engineering and system level design folks tend to be more Te. So hopefully this will be a good move. I do think as an ILI that I'd have more of an interest in system level definition and conceptualization than the new product development 'trench warfare' in labs that I've been doing after the product has already been defined as a system.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevENTj View Post
    Timely thread...

I was laid off from my job last week as a product development and support engineer which is why I haven't posted at all. Nothing like having the ground yanked out from under you. I was up for promotion, and had been kicking ass at everything they were throwing at me all year too. Layoffs had been anticipated for awhile and rumors were going around, but nobody had any idea how severe and how targeted they'd be. My company basically laid off nearly half of their hardware design staff. Pretty brutal. I thought I was safe due to how busy I've been all year, but I guess not.

I've been doing product development and new product introduction engineering jobs like this since I started my career, but I think it's just a little bit too much for me. Taking the layoff as an opportunity to explore systems engineering type jobs which are more than and I think might be more to my liking. I've noticed over the years that lots of the real 'guru' types getting down to the nitty-gritty of product development are indeed Ti types, both beta an alpha, but that the systems engineering and system level design folks tend to be more Te. So hopefully this will be a good move. I do think as an ILI that I'd have more of an interest in system level definition and conceptualization than the new product development 'trench warfare' in labs that I've been doing after the product has already been defined as a system.
    Man that sucks. I wish you luck in finding another good job.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Creepy-Korpsey

Jobs of ILIs I know:
    Cleaning company manager
    Veterinarian
    Veterinary assistant
    Radar technician
    Carpenter
    Robotics technician
    Graphic designer
    and 3 slackers from wealthy families, 2 of whom are perpetual college students

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I should have titled this 'Theoretical ILI Jobs/Careers'.

It's a big hurdle from dependency and college to independence and professionalism for ILIs, especially in this society we live in.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

Creepy-Korpsey

Then this is just another invitation to engage in pointless conjecture and building castles in the air, like all the threads guessing the types of actors and long-dead writers, or complicating a fundamentally flawed theory of mind with more extraneous, fanciful bullshit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I was implying in that last post, agreed.
    (i)NTFS

Socionics Tests Database

Fidei Defensor

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see nothing wrong with discussing what sort of career options might be appealing to ILIs or any other type. In fact I think that's a far better and potentially more useful application for socionics than figuring out who exactly you should date.

I've decided to make a lateral career move in part based on what I know and understand of Socionics, of myself and how and where my interests drift (breadth of knowledge and interest areas, rather than extreme depth in one area and less breadth), along with my career experiences over the past 10 years. I bought a systems engineering textbook to start reading through, and it screams Ni and Te to me and I think it'd be right down my alley.

Two interviews lined up for tomorrow. Going to have to work out extra hard today and make sure I get a good night of sleep to get all of the nervous energy out of me.
    Te-INTp/ILI, my wife: Fi-ISFj/ESI, with laser beam death rays for ESTp/SLEs, lol
    16 years of bliss in an Activity relationship

TIM
    Robot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just took the praxis test to qualify as a teacher - business education (My degree is in finance). Hah. Basically I just need to stay active, I'll take whatever I can get at this point. I absolutely hate going thru the job search process. It is such bullshit and a waste of time, I just want to work.

Intertia is my weakness (A weakness for most Introverted Perceivers) - I have been out of a job for the last 5 weeks. As for the teacher thing, I am sure it'll take a couple of years to adjust. The kids should like me due to my 'easy-going-ness", but I fear I might lose control of the class sometimes due to me being uncomfortable enforcing 'discipline'. Oh, vacation time and summers off is pretty attractive.

I am not sure if there is a 'perfect' job for INTPs. We are so malleable to do anything if we put our minds to it and don't stop trying.
    /

TIM
    Te-INTp (ILI)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saoshyant View Post
    I am not sure if there is a 'perfect' job for INTPs. We are so malleable to do anything if we put our minds to it and don't stop trying.
    Yeah pretty much, although I think there's definitely some jobs out there that are probably much better for an INTp than others. Of the two job interviews I had yesterday, one was more along the lines of analyzing and conceptualizing, and the other was more along the lines of creating and doing. Which do you think an ILI would be better at?

I think both interviews went pretty well btw, but am continuing my search and not getting my hopes up. Employers have lots of resumes and candidates these days so you never know.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevENTj View Post
    Of the two job interviews I had yesterday, one was more along the lines of analyzing and conceptualizing, and the other was more along the lines of creating and doing. Which do you think an ILI would be better at?
    I think both, depending on which school of Socionics one subscribes to.

Some would say "analyzing and conceptualizing" = Ti + Ne, but not necessarily.

The "doing" part in "Creating and doing" sounds like an extroverted or sensing focus...like an emphasis on "getting out there" and "making it happen" by meeting lots of people, or focusing on on the implementation of things. Of course any type can do this and must to a certain extent. But I would think that the more conceptual jobs would make ILIs feel more at home...of course, depending on one's view of which people are ILIs...and of course there are always the opposing schools of thought within Socionics...

Anyhow, that's why also I think that "stock broker" as proposed at the beginning of this thread, would be an atypical job for ILIs. A stock broker is essentially a salesperson, whose success depends on forming and keeping relationships with lots of people and encouraging them to invest by getting them excited about some new stock. Sounds more like a better job for ESEs than for ILIs, actually.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI job: politician

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    ILI job: politician
    I think politics is a great career for ILIs, but campaigning puts a lot of stress on their weaknesses. You'd have to be making phone calls and going door-to-door all day, and forming great relationships with party leaders and donors, and smiling virtually all the time, and having exactly the right etiquette and right "look." It's definitely possible, but easier for ESEs. But once in office, ILIs could really make a positive difference. Probably a fair number of political advisors are ILI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast