Thread: SLE/ESTp straight edge vs try anything once attitude

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SLE/ESTp straight edge vs try anything once attitude

Which is more preferable to you?

Personally, I take a relatively moderate approach. In terms of drugs, I've only gone as a far as E, and wouldn't go any further, especially not at this time in my life. In terms of drink, I drink about as much as your average uni student - probably less.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it when you'll try anything once, you know, and then after you try it you criticize it until it's funny.

I'm going to see my SLE Mom today for Jesus/Rabbit Day... She's been trying a lot of new age artsy fartsy bullshit recently, because she's an early 70s hippie and she's getting back into it... She's going to rip on it.

My old SLE boarding school roommate was a crazy bastard... Always on the mescaline. (He was from the Turks and Caicos, and said it was normal there... But somehow I doubt it.)

I see the straight-edge SLE at the gym almost everytime I go... I look at them and sense that they're totally empty.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, funny you guys replied in a different way to how I expected people to reply. You saw it as my asking "would you rather get with a straight edge or 'try anything' SLE?", when what I actually meant was "SLEs, do you prefer to be straight edge or 'try anything one'?"

Don't stop though, I want to see responses from both sides now.

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    I like it when you'll try anything once, you know, and then after you try it you criticize it until it's funny.
    So true.

I see the straight-edge SLE at the gym almost everytime I go... I look at them and sense that they're totally empty.
    Empty as in boring/soulless?

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    Judgemental attitude is out. Control of actions is in.
    I'm one of the most judgemental bastards on earth.

That's not quite true.

But I am judgemental.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Smart girl. Stay away from the drugs. It destroys friendships & relationships. =/

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drugs are really fun and they can fuck your life up. I wouldn't be who I am today without drugs, and I really like who I am today...but I'm also poor, single, and about to go to a school that's not nearly as prestigious or quality as the one I was at before. Personally, money means nothing to me, so the good times and resulting life experience were worth tossing away the irrelevant opportunity for me to become a doctor or a lawyer. To me, living an interesting life is more important than living an easy, financially stable life, so yeah, it was worth it.

But that's me.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not SLE, but whatev, I don't have other LSIs here to make threads with.

Probably mostly agree with Ez in the OP: I'll try stuff but I have limits. I'm not interested in trying most drugs because I am very likely to have atypical responses, and I'd rather not die from experimentation, thank you very much. I also come from a ridiculously medical family, so dinner time conversation is interesting and extended family Christmas emails sometimes end up in the 'oh god, please stop' territory about finding out just what shit does what to your body.

In terms of drinking, that fluctuates. Right now, I'm not drinking much at all, but in the last couple of years (when I started uni) I'd say I'd be at about average. I mean, I don't drink like the college kids do, because I have to drive home and they just stumbled a couple of steps, nor the engineers, because dude, they're engineers. But if I was either of those, I'd probably be an alcoholic by now, lol. I've gone too far with it a couple of times, there's probably 3 times I actively really regret what I've done. And I always *think* I'm over the worst of my behaviour, but well, it will happen again. I don't think I'd let any of this affect what I want to achieve in life in terms of my career and all that, but the thing is, drinking is pretty much part of the culture anyway of where I'm headed.

In things where I know my life isn't directly in danger, I'm more comfortable with trying stuff. Actually I meat to start a thread in beta about attitudes towards sexuality, because there seems to be a sort of 'try anything once' attitude, but it's one of those things that doesn't really get talked about directly. So...does trying anything once extend beyond drinking/drugs?

I don't understand straight edge lifestyle. I really don't.
    allez cuisine!

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am totally a "try anything once" person, be it drugs, sex, crazy ideas...anything. I will really do just about anything at least once.

Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am straight edge only superficially. Otherwise I have tried quite a bit of things.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean View Post
    I am straight edge only superficially. Otherwise I have tried quite a bit of things.
    Jimbean, darling, I'm looking at your av and thinking how are you not my identical? Hmmm?
    allez cuisine!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by idolatrie View Post
    Jimbean, darling, I'm looking at your av and thinking how are you not my identical? Hmmm?
    LOL, how does that make me you guys dual, Gilly, just said that he is not ambitious anymore, living the zest of life is all he wanted, fuck the money and the frame because me and him are simple men.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    IEI!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All of the SLEs I know are pretty into drugs and alcohol. I've never met a straightedge one hahaha.

I get straight edge, I don't put anything in my body that will mess my brain chemicals up & make me feel shit, the majority of the time. Like I don't eat any shit at all, I eat like a rabbit most of the time , and then I feel like I am high anyways, then I have the balls to try anything.
    IEI, sp/sx 4w3.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    LOL, how does that make me you guys dual, Gilly, just said that he is not ambitious anymore, living the zest of life is all he wanted, fuck the money and the frame because me and him are simple men.
    I think living an interesting life is important too. I don't want a simple man though. I want someone complicated and compelling, who is hopefully someone I won't get bored of within a month. And from what I know of EIEs, they at least potentially fit the bill. So how has anything I've said invalidated my duality with EIEs? I definitely don't think EIEs can't be ambitious, I mean unefille certainly is. Money doesn't matter in and of itself, but the lifestyle and comfort and access that money can bring you is certainly fucking important if you want to have quality of life.
    allez cuisine!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think living an interesting life is important too. I don't want a simple man though. I want someone complicated and compelling, who is hopefully someone I won't get bored of within a month. And from what I know of EIEs, they at least potentially fit the bill. So how has anything I've said invalidated my duality with EIEs? I definitely don't think EIEs can't be ambitious, I mean unefille certainly is. Money doesn't matter in and of itself, but the lifestyle and comfort and access that money can bring you is certainly fucking important if you want to have quality of life.
    I think the biggest problem anyone will face in life in accordance to socionics is their hidden agenda. They want so much of it yet it is so weak in it. most problems people have are directly link to the usage of this function. I think that a lot of success are based upon just how you use your Hidden agenda, if you use it correctly, you can boost your mental ability and strengthen you ego functions too. EIE's has a "never to lose attitude", I certainly have. and feel at times I have the biggest Extrovert Sensing hidden agenda, and I am sure there are a lot of people who are like that as well. I hate losing, I can never let go of things, when I swim in my local pool I have to be faster than the person on the next lane, my sentence has to be prefect, I must put on the best show anyone has ever seen, etc... come to it later you realized that it is just self-defeating for yourself (E-3 or many EIEs out there). It's still is needed to be fulfilled and survive i think, even through i tell myself that this unusually amount of competition will lead to jealousy, I still have to compete, it is part of my blood to be the best, as much as i tell myself to just breath and smell the open air, life is not about being the best, and I have learn how to fulfill my agenda wisely. I totally understand what you are saying, and that totally fits into the bill of EIE, I think this is sort of thing where you just have too much of something you are so immersed into it that you finally realized that it is necessary to let go of it(I went crazy because of it if you want to know). FTR, by no chance is Beta NF those typical people you meet in the street.

from socionics.com +/- ENFj

The strongest aspect of your personality is your ability to experience strong feelings and emotions. You posses a complicated spiritual world packed with contrasts and contradictions. You will sacrifice many things for the sake of genuine, deep feelings. You have a very poetic nature that allows you to express your experiences in an extremely vivid manner.
    So how has anything I've said invalidated my duality with EIEs

Did you think i meant it like that, well not directly, what I mean is that Jimbean has a avatar saying "get rich or famous" and you inclined to agree on it, while Gilly posted that money does not matter to him, which contradict yours and JImbean's nature. it properly has nothing to do with how you are compatible with EIE is Ni creative Se hidden agenda and LSI is SE creative and NI hidden agenda, if they two meet, it will balanced it self quite well.
    Last edited by 07490; 04-12-2009 at 12:32 PM.

1)

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money doesn't matter in and of itself, but the lifestyle and comfort and access that money can bring you is certainly fucking important if you want to have quality of life.
    Yes, I worry a lot about money all the time...

1)

2)

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money is just the means for me to get from point A to point B. I do not actively chase money. I do consider myself to be ambitious though, and whatever I am expected to be good at I strive to be #1. I live way below my means and money is easy for me to manage, instead I use my focus for my main goals which include becoming a self powerful person. This is why I admire people like Donald Trump, it is because he is a very self powerful person in that he ties big deals and makes big things happen.

How does this tie in with the thread topic? Whether it be your experiences or goals, there are three things to be considered: ethics, reality, and desire. After that you get down to the specifics, like how you relate to the situation at hand, and how does this little situation affect your big goals. When I was a child, I did daring things while riding my bicycle. When I was middle and high school I experimented with certain things (specifics are not mentioned here because I do not want to have this dug up later), as well as played some sports. Now I work hard and play hard, I also like to travel and learn about new things.

@idolatrie: It seems that I do relate with you as well as other LSI's on here with concern to many basic values. There are also many people on here that try to get me to change my self typing from ILE to LSI. That is a big change isn't it? Consider me typeless for now.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy View Post
    I drink rarely but that's probably going to change when the beer is flowing once I get to college.
    Yeah, same happened with me. Loads of people will say to you "you will get drunk at uni" and you say "no, I won't". But you do end up getting more trashed more days a week. I'm pretty moderated at the moment though (I go out maybe once a week).

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Smart girl. Stay away from the drugs. It destroys friendships & relationships. =/
    Tell us of your experiences, B&D!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimosa Pudica View Post
    Really? I thought of you as being opinionated, but not judgemental.

Ezra - the moralist??
    When I say judgemental I mean I have a certain hatred towards certain people and concepts. The one thing I despise more than anything is ignorance. And I see ignorance manifested most clearly in Students (with a capital "S"). I am a student - I am surrounded by Students. I'm talking about those who are EXTREMELY politically opinionated. I am also very politically opinionated, but it saddens me to see that these people are naive when it comes to politics. And it's all because of ignorance. So my hatred for them is kind of misplaced, and I'll often acknowledge this by thinking "it's just their ignorance" as opposed to "god, I want to murder all these fucking Che Guevara t-shirt-wearing, idiot hippie leftist student protesters who don't have a fucking clue about how life works".

Not SLE, but whatev, I don't have other LSIs here to make threads with.
    Good point . On a few occasions I've written "SLE" and then gone back and written "Beta ST" because I actually would like to hear from all Beta STs (they all interest me because they're obviously close to me socionically). On this occasion I wasn't even thinking about it. You response is welcome, nonetheless.

So...does trying anything once extend beyond drinking/drugs?

I don't understand straight edge lifestyle. I really don't.
    You could say it includes most things. I mean, if you take someone who will "try anything once", they tend to not only binge on drink and drugs, but also experiment with other things too e.g. sex, daredevil sports, foolish stunts etc.

lol, you mean the Trump one? I thought that was pretty funny. His face makes me laugh.

I think the biggest problem anyone will face in life in accordance to socionics is their hidden agenda. They want so much of it yet it is so weak in it. most problems people have are directly link to the usage of this function. I think that a lot of success are based upon just how you use your Hidden agenda, if you use it correctly, you can boost your mental ability and strengthen you ego functions too. EIE's has a "never to lose attitude", I certainly have. and feel at times I have the biggest Extrovert Sensing hidden agenda, and I am sure there are a lot of people who are like that as well. I hate losing, I can never let go of things, when I swim in my local pool I have to be faster than the person on the next lane, my sentence has to be prefect, I must put on the best show anyone has ever seen, etc... come to it later you realized that it is just self-defeating for yourself (E-3 or many EIEs out there). It's still is needed to be fulfilled and survive i think, even through i tell myself that this unusually amount of competition will lead to jealousy, I still have to compete, it is part of my blood to be the best, as much as i tell myself to just breath and smell the open air, life is not about being the best, and I have learn how to fulfill my agenda wisely. I totally understand what you are saying, and that totally fits into the bill of EIE, I think this is sort of thing where you just have too much of something you are so immersed into it that you finally realized that it is necessary to let go of it(I went crazy because of it if you want to know). FTR, by no chance is Beta NF those typical people you meet in the street.

from socionics.com +/- ENFj
    Numbers, do you really think anyone will heed word from socionics.com?

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    you're considering LSI Jimbean?
    I hope he is.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Numbers, do you really think anyone will heed word from socionics.com?

there are things i don't agree with it, there are others information like intertype relations description in which i will rely on more so than any other English sources.

1)

2)

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I am totally a "try anything once" person, be it drugs, sex, crazy ideas...anything. I will really do just about anything at least once.
    Ever let a dude fuck you in your ass?

Sorry. Had to go there.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Tell us of your experiences, B&D!
    I personally don't do drugs. But my best friend did and let's just say er, I don't like talking behind people's backs that I care about. I don't want to get until the whole drama thing now but it totally fucked her over for a couple years. She's better now though.

But there was prison involved and yeah. Drama.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbean View Post
    Money is just the means for me to get from point A to point B. I do not actively chase money. I do consider myself to be ambitious though, and whatever I am expected to be good at I strive to be #1. I live way below my means and money is easy for me to manage, instead I use my focus for my main goals which include becoming a self powerful person. This is why I admire people like Donald Trump, it is because he is a very self powerful person in that he ties big deals and makes big things happen.

How does this tie in with the thread topic? Whether it be your experiences or goals, there are three things to be considered: ethics, reality, and desire. After that you get down to the specifics, like how you relate to the situation at hand, and how does this little situation affect your big goals. When I was a child, I did daring things while riding my bicycle. When I was middle and high school I experimented with certain things (specifics are not mentioned here because I do not want to have this dug up later), as well as played some sports. Now I work hard and play hard, I also like to travel and learn about new things.

@idolatrie: It seems that I do relate with you as well as other LSI's on here with concern to many basic values. There are also many people on here that try to get me to change my self typing from ILE to LSI. That is a big change isn't it? Consider me typeless for now.
    Seriously Jimbean, you're easily the person I most identify with on the forum atm in terms of how you react and respond to things, and this post was a case in point. 100%.

And well, I went from LSE to LSI, which I suspect is actually a bigger shift than ILE to LSI, I mean, at least you're Ti-consistent. I know exactly how irritating it was initally for me to have my type questioned, because I was all 'how would you know what I'm like, huh?!' etc., but it eventually all fell into place for me. And just made socionics more fun because hey, it actually makes sense this way! In any case, I won't bang on about your type, but if you ever do want to ask me anything, feel free.

I have decided, however, to wage a campaign via avatars. I was going to try to lure you over with an Ivana Trump picture, but god, she's getting more and more hideous by the year. So instead, here's some Ivanka, REUNITE OUR FAMILY, JIMBEAN. You know you want to.
    allez cuisine!

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have my support for Jimbean being LSI.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will say that jimbean to me is pretty obviously LSI and very easily the most awesome LSI I've ever run into.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    Ever let a dude fuck you in your ass?

Sorry. Had to go there.

-_-;

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are things i don't agree with it, there are others information like intertype relations description in which i will rely on more so than any other English sources.
    Dangerous move. Wikisocion grinds socionics.com into the dirt.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I say judgemental I mean I have a certain hatred towards certain people and concepts. The one thing I despise more than anything is ignorance. And I see ignorance manifested most clearly in Students (with a capital "S"). I am a student - I am surrounded by Students. I'm talking about those who are EXTREMELY politically opinionated. I am also very politically opinionated, but it saddens me to see that these people are naive when it comes to politics. And it's all because of ignorance. So my hatred for them is kind of misplaced, and I'll often acknowledge this by thinking "it's just their ignorance" as opposed to "god, I want to murder all these fucking Che Guevara t-shirt-wearing, idiot hippie leftist student protesters who don't have a fucking clue about how life works".
    lol, +1, <3

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have decided, however, to wage a campaign via avatars. I was going to try to lure you over with an Ivana Trump picture, but god, she's getting more and more hideous by the year. So instead, here's some Ivanka, REUNITE OUR FAMILY, JIMBEAN. You know you want to.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Herzy View Post
    Ahaha, pwned.

/anklegrab

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I will say that jimbean to me is pretty obviously LSI and very easily the most awesome LSI I've ever run into.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've done just about everything barring crack or shooting up heroin (smoked opium though..so it's kind of the same). I'm mostly straightedge now, and have been over 10 yrs. Good thing I guess is that I started early (13ish), and in turn, quit early. I've found that the people who start around college age actually turn out more fucked and either don't quit for a long time/or don't quit while they're ahead. My theory is that they associate drug use more with "adulthood" and "freedom" in some bizarre way, and therefore, see less of a need to quit.

Anyways, sobriety is definitely the better path. Not just for me, but for everyone. You're pretty much useless after a point, and not as fun or deep as you think you are while on them, and to top it off, you look like shit..

As judgemental as I sound though, I have a live and let live philosophy in practice. I'm not so anti-drug that I'm ever going to intervene... I just won't sympathize with it. I know a few death by OD victims in my circle(s) of friends, and I never once offered sympathy for them. Everyone I know treats these situations like they're real tragedies or something, but it makes me sick. The tragedy is that no one learns from it.
    Last edited by Kaze; 04-13-2010 at 12:08 AM.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which is more preferable to you?

Personally, I take a relatively moderate approach. In terms of drugs, I've only gone as a far as E, and wouldn't go any further, especially not at this time in my life. In terms of drink, I drink about as much as your average uni student - probably less.
    I don't think this is type-related. I've known squeaky clean SLEs as well as hedonistic ones.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by discojoe View Post
    I don't think this is type-related. I've known squeaky clean SLEs as well as hedonistic ones.
    I agree that it's not type related, but I didn't think it was in the first place. I was just interested to know how other SLEs lived their lives.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would just add that I started out an athlete (basketball, bmx, skateboarding) when young, and slowly turned to shit with the drug use. Still kind of skate, but not much. I never took up the athletic lifestyle like I once did. I'm more straight edge/healthy, but not in a gymrat/active sort of way.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
    I would just add that I started out an athlete (basketball, bmx, skateboarding) when young, and slowly turned to shit with the drug use. Still kind of skate, but not much. I never took up the athletic lifestyle like I once did. I'm more straight edge/healthy, but not in a gymrat/active sort of way.
    Yeah, drugs do subtle things to your mindset without you even realising. Like slow spiralling depression/lack of zest for life. Not cool.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Yeah, drugs do subtle things to your mindset without you even realising. Like slow spiralling depression/lack of zest for life. Not cool.
    burn you out, but so can too much of anything.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

heh true enough. for one, some of my dietary habits aren't really conducive to an athletic lifestyle. not as bad as drugs, but it's something i should change.