Thread: Types and mood stereotypes

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Types and mood stereotypes

I was reading this text below and I wonder how much of socionics theory is based on stereotypical thinking and projections by socionists. Personally I feel the basics of socionics does have merit. However there seems to be lot of "fluff" surrounding and these type descriptions here show the side of socionics that I feel is too subjective and misleading in many ways. As you can see it is based on personal opinions, stereotypical thinking and projection by the observer, they point it out at the bottom of the page.

For example what is striking to me as a beta and a IEI is that the description of betas can be seen as ambigious - half positive and half negative (I'm thinking of the SLE and IEI descriptions),while the descriptions for many other types are unambigiously positive. The delta descriptions are almost uniformly positive, only the SLI description maybe has a negative aspect when it describes the SLI as "emotionally cool". What makes a IEI "zany" where an IEE is "frivolous" for example? Why is SLE "demanding of others" while LSE's use "active involvement"?

I wonder how much people identify with these descriptions of their own types, and how much they agree with the descriptions of other types?

-----------------------------------------

Socionic Types and their Overal Moods

Types and their Overall Moods

Below are descriptions of the overall moods or impressions that the socionic types convey at a distance (read explanation at bottom of page).
    ILE
    Seeker
    explorative; light-hearted and detached curiosity; focused on interests and ideas; usually upbeat and good-natured
    SEI
    Mediator
    soft, helping; gentle smile; touch naturally; comfort oriented; sensual and expressive
    ESE
    Enthusiast
    strong tastes and preferences; enthusiastic and forceful about likes and dislikes; socialites; emotionally involved; reflect values of community; large emotional range
    LII
    Analyst
    detached critical analysis; clear and independent thought and worldviews; appearance of self-control
    EIE
    Actor
    dramatism, restraint, alarm; purposeful emotions and purposeful involvement
    LSI
    Inspector
    tough, serious, decisive, tough-minded, disciplined, controlling, firm, resolute; mistrustful; stand their ground
    SLE
    Conqueror
    forceful; demanding of others; go-getters; not easily intimidated; ready for confrontation
    IEI
    Romantic
    wacky, goofy, dreamy, zany; interested in people's inner experiences and where people are going with their emotional life; mix of joy and melancholy
    SEE
    Politician
    flair, playfulness; socialites; physical center of attention; hands-on involvement in world around them
    ILI
    Critic
    goofy; don't reveal their inner life; interested in processes; passive relaxedness; ironic attitude
    LIE
    Enterpriser
    unbridled optimism; like movement; energetic; opportunistic; like to test limits; direct
    ESI
    Guardian
    concerned about proper behavior; stand their ground; hard to convince; conservative views and methods
    LSE
    Director
    always busy with projects; practical and skeptical; action oriented; professional; active involvement
    EII
    Empath
    gentle but with firm principles; demonstrate positive attitude; willingness to share your world
    IEE
    Psychologist
    playfulness; tinge of irony; acceptance; frivolous; warm curiosity about people and relationships
    SLI
    Craftsman
    soft blankness; internal independence; hard to impress; not easily excited; emotionally cool
    *Many thanks to Tom Loveday for helping formulate these type moods in August 2003 in Kiev. We obtained this list by looking through photos of people of each type and trying to catch what they had in common. There might be a bit of subjectivity in these descriptions, as we view other types from the position of our own and identify with some types better than others.

-------------------------------------------------
    INFp

If your sea chart does not match reality, go with reality (Old mariner saying)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I don't see with what I should not agree as far as IEE description goes.

Btw since when "frivolous" is a positive thing?
    And what are the negative ones for IEI?

In my opinion those descriptions are mostly positive for all types, betas included. SLI and SLE ones are a bit harsher but that's about it?
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    NeFi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wittmont View Post
    What makes a IEI "zany" where an IEE is "frivolous" for example?
    Zany is a neutral term depending on how it's used, and frivolous is a negative term. But overall I see your point, but at the same time I think I've seen better descriptions. I think people get caught up in stereotypes because it makes remember the types easier, like MBTI.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittmont View Post
    ILI
    Critic
    goofy; don't reveal their inner life; interested in processes; passive relaxedness; ironic attitude
    I agree with all that. Well I wouldn't call myself "goofy", but I guess people can see me that way. What's missing though is melancholy, maybe ILI's don't show it that much. But it's revealed in black humor. Personally I often feel gloomy, but it doesn't show that much, I guess.

"Interest in processes" might be something that's difficult to assess in someone, judging from the outside.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought these were pretty good. It seems they were trying to illustrate the moods or impressions a type conveys from a distance. It's not what the type is, but how the type might appear from the outside, at a distance, at first glance, when you don't know them. It is of course subjective, since there is no one way the 'observed' will appear - it's also dependent on the observer, and even the situation.

I don't know which one would be more like me, because I'm not sure how I appear from a distance really.

The "outside impressions" though of ESI and EII seem off to me, as I don't think that's quite how I see the ESIs and EIIs I know appearing at a distance. But I do see what it is getting at.

I suppose using "controlling" or "go-getter" might be a little problematic... but taken with the other words, I think I see what it's trying to illustrate.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I most definitely identify with the ILE mood, and my ESE friends most certainly fit into the ESE mood.

I know two people have said that the SEI mood seems lame, but I actually think it's awesome. It actually makes me warm and fuzzy inside for them, lol. Maybe it's because I lack those qualities and value them in others that when I read that kind of quality it doesn't seem lame to me, it just seems like a slice of heaven cake.

It may be important to remember that this is a description of mood and not the entirety of the people. I think when they use the word mood they mean a certain qualitative sense that surrounds something. In the same way that you use mood as a linguistic term.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The LSE and ILI moods fit me slightly better than the SLI one, which sounds like a case of extreme SPD, lol. But I like the descriptions overall, I think they are good.

The EIE one sounds utterly disgusting though, I must say.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Creepy-male

I agree. Choosing what you fall in love with?

Preposterous!