Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Starting a Small Business

  1. #1
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Starting a Small Business

    Hey guys,

    Just wondering if any Delta here has started a small business at one point. I've been planning lately on starting one in the near future, and was curious to see the types of obstacles other Deltas have had with this type of endeavor (<-- fancy word). For one, I don't deal well with heavy stress, so I'm a little concerned about that. Other than that, it does seem like fun.

    Yeah, I know, to me work = fun, sadly . But, at the same time, I get "lazy periods" where I literally want to do nothing. I know that would be a problem with consistency, which is not my strong point with these things.

  2. #2
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Your biggest potential obstacle, I think would be your will (and strength) to overcome obstacles. Now, of course, it depends on the type of business you want to venture into, but if you want to see any results at all in whatever you get yourself into, you have to be ready not only to invest but to seriously dedicate yourself (and your time) to what you're doing, which normally involves stepping outside your comfort zone in order to overcome obstacles, solve problems, keep things under control and get the most use out of your efforts. Stress is inevitable, but you can learn how to manage it.
    Last edited by Park; 04-10-2009 at 06:29 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you want anything bad enough, you'll make it happen, regardless of quadra, personality type, etc. Everyone has weaknesses, but if you want to start a business you focus on doing work that uses your strengths and outsource the rest. And until you get there, you suck it up and make yourself do what you might not prefer to do long-term. There is a lot of uncertainty and stress, but it just comes down to what your dreams are, what lifestyle you want, and what you're willing to do to get it.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

  4. #4
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah, I see what you guys are saying. I know that if I want it bad enough I'll have enough drive to go through with it. Thanks for the input.

  5. #5
    meatburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A Quazar named Northern Territory
    Posts
    2,570
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sereno View Post
    Yeah, I see what you guys are saying. I know that if I want it bad enough I'll have enough drive to go through with it. Thanks for the input.
    I have no advice for you at all, except that it would be an amazing growing experience. You can always find your dual and start a business with them if you divide your time/duties properly. I know quite a few ESTj's in business. One owns a huge car dealership in my city (very rich), one used to run a courier business and multiple gas stations. A guy i went to school with left school at 16, started a computer building business then he started an internet service provider/webdesign/web hosting company. He ended up selling the ISP at about age 21/22 and now at 26 he runs an advertising company with about 12 employees. He seems to be doing very well lol.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

    "And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

  6. #6
    07490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    there
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My brother in law is an SLI and he is a great entrepreneur, I think the secret to his success is that he is very concrete, organized, and properly Te.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

    2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

  7. #7
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If you go for business keep socionics in mind. You have to go the ST way. A good business decision is one that pays in cash today. Think in terms of Se. Future profit (Ne) and intangible profit (Fi) are not so good for business.

    If anything, try to get some help.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  8. #8
    Let's go to fairyland Minde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Amongst the stars
    TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Posts
    4,078
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sereno View Post
    Hey guys,

    Just wondering if any Delta here has started a small business at one point. I've been planning lately on starting one in the near future, and was curious to see the types of obstacles other Deltas have had with this type of endeavor (<-- fancy word). For one, I don't deal well with heavy stress, so I'm a little concerned about that. Other than that, it does seem like fun.

    Yeah, I know, to me work = fun, sadly . But, at the same time, I get "lazy periods" where I literally want to do nothing. I know that would be a problem with consistency, which is not my strong point with these things.
    Yes, I've started a small business. Or, rather, have co-started such a business. So, I'm not completely alone (though occasionally I feel like it).

    I'd say - it's probably mostly fun if you don't depend on it for your livelihood. If you do, prepare for at least a little bit of pain. And, yeah, it can be kind of stressful, especially if you have deadlines and impatient and demanding customers/clients. In fact, it can be stressful just to perform up to the level that puts you even with competition, much less actually beat them all. If the competition/need-for-survival aspect doesn't affect you all that much, then I'd expect stress levels to not be all that bad.

    Hm, problems and pitfalls that I've faced... Well, as you mention, there's that whole stay motivated thing. Sometimes work can get very boring and tedious. It's sometimes hard without an actual boss to set time schedules and such. I can tend to procrastinate and forget things.

    I've found it's hard for me to keep track of my hours and finances. The hours thing because I tend to skip around when I'm working. Sometimes I'll work consistently for a couple of hours on one thing; often I'll work on something for a little, then work on something related, then work on something entirely not-related, and in between do random other things; or sometimes I'll spend time not doing anything - which I feel guilty about.

    I also tend to attach emotions to things and not be objective. For example, there'll be a relatively easy task when you look at it pragmatically, but it's related to something bad that happened (or is happening or is going to happen), and I'll shy away from it. Or, I'll work quite hard on something very complex and not entirely important because it appeals to me and/or isn't something else that I don't want to do.

    In terms of finances... well... I'm pretty sure I fail at that. Not that I spend a lot, no. I'm usually pretty thrifty. But keeping track of expenditures and income and taxes and tithe and where everything goes and where it comes from and where it gets kept and all the little numbers.... I try, but fail. I'll keep track of those things for maybe two weeks (I made it a few months once), but then I forget a few times, lose heart, and give up, until I have a big mess to untangle, resolve to be better from now on, keep track, loose track, etc.

    Another thing that I've only recently begun to see in myself is my tendency to sort of... hm, how to put it... expect the other person to help me solve problems. For example, when communicating with a contractor about what I need from him, I've found myself narrating the whole problem and then kind of ending on a sort of question of "now what?", when what I really need to do is think this all out for myself ahead of time and only really bother him with what I specifically know I need from him. I mean, I do want to make sure that everybody involved has all the info they need, but I think sometimes I tend to expect to sort of just lay out the info and then have the people around me figure out what to do. Which doesn't really work if there's no one around who either should or wants to do that. So that's a pitfall, one that I've just become aware of.

    I mentioned above that I find I often lack a practical and pragmatic approach. I do what I can, and it usually suffices if I try hard enough (or it seems to), but often I get the feeling that there's a better way I could be doing things or that I'm missing something important. It's hard for me to be grounded and sensible and realistic and utilitarian and purely logical all the time.

    I find I tend to expect good things to come to me instead of me having to go out and get them for myself. I mean, I know in my head that it isn't really like that, but nonetheless I find that is a tendency in myself. So that's something I'm constantly either having to force myself to do or feeling guilty for not doing so.


    ...

    On the other hand, owning/running a small business is excellent for getting to multi-task, not being stuck with just one thing to do all day, challenging you to grow and learn constantly, providing opportunities to network, promoting creative thinking, and allowing you to do something you like on a relatively regular basis (provided, of course, that your small business is centered around an interest of yours). Among other things.
    INFj / EII / FiNe
    ()


    "Fairy Tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G.K. Chesterton

    "Have courage and be kind." - Cinderella's mom

  9. #9
    meatburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A Quazar named Northern Territory
    Posts
    2,570
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    That was one of the best posts for actually answering someones question ive seen Minde
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

    "And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    My brother in law is an SLI and he is a great entrepreneur, I think the secret to his success is that he is very concrete, organized, and properly Te.
    Wow I think a Te-focused SLI entrepreneur sounds pretty ideal. Where do such guys hang out?

    And Minde, good post! I also have trouble in general w/ finances in terms of sticking to keeping track of expenses and things. I'm finding that making envelopes for various things and stuffing stuff into them, or making charts seems to help. Otherwise I don't know what info I'm even trying to keep track of...sigh. it's hard. But wow it sounds like you're doing a great job and really know your strengths and weaknesses too.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

  11. #11
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Wow I think a Te-focused SLI entrepreneur sounds pretty ideal. Where do such guys hang out?
    Numbers will give you his number, don't worry.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  12. #12
    Lobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    TIM
    EII 6w5
    Posts
    2,080
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    I have no advice for you at all, except that it would be an amazing growing experience. You can always find your dual and start a business with them if you divide your time/duties properly. I know quite a few ESTj's in business. One owns a huge car dealership in my city (very rich), one used to run a courier business and multiple gas stations. A guy i went to school with left school at 16, started a computer building business then he started an internet service provider/webdesign/web hosting company. He ended up selling the ISP at about age 21/22 and now at 26 he runs an advertising company with about 12 employees. He seems to be doing very well lol.
    I have thought about getting an ESTj to join, but initially this is going to be a co-partnership with an ISTp. Considering the little amount of money that will be gained initially, I don't want more than 2 people. What I want to do is start a consulting business, which will only get revenue based on the amount of consultees.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    If you go for business keep socionics in mind. You have to go the ST way. A good business decision is one that pays in cash today. Think in terms of Se. Future profit (Ne) and intangible profit (Fi) are not so good for business.

    If anything, try to get some help.
    Yeah, I definitely want to get some help, I'm past the stage of wanting to do everything by myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Yes, I've started a small business. Or, rather, have co-started such a business. So, I'm not completely alone (though occasionally I feel like it).

    I'd say - it's probably mostly fun if you don't depend on it for your livelihood. If you do, prepare for at least a little bit of pain. And, yeah, it can be kind of stressful, especially if you have deadlines and impatient and demanding customers/clients. In fact, it can be stressful just to perform up to the level that puts you even with competition, much less actually beat them all. If the competition/need-for-survival aspect doesn't affect you all that much, then I'd expect stress levels to not be all that bad.

    Hm, problems and pitfalls that I've faced... Well, as you mention, there's that whole stay motivated thing. Sometimes work can get very boring and tedious. It's sometimes hard without an actual boss to set time schedules and such. I can tend to procrastinate and forget things.

    I've found it's hard for me to keep track of my hours and finances. The hours thing because I tend to skip around when I'm working. Sometimes I'll work consistently for a couple of hours on one thing; often I'll work on something for a little, then work on something related, then work on something entirely not-related, and in between do random other things; or sometimes I'll spend time not doing anything - which I feel guilty about.

    I also tend to attach emotions to things and not be objective. For example, there'll be a relatively easy task when you look at it pragmatically, but it's related to something bad that happened (or is happening or is going to happen), and I'll shy away from it. Or, I'll work quite hard on something very complex and not entirely important because it appeals to me and/or isn't something else that I don't want to do.

    In terms of finances... well... I'm pretty sure I fail at that. Not that I spend a lot, no. I'm usually pretty thrifty. But keeping track of expenditures and income and taxes and tithe and where everything goes and where it comes from and where it gets kept and all the little numbers.... I try, but fail. I'll keep track of those things for maybe two weeks (I made it a few months once), but then I forget a few times, lose heart, and give up, until I have a big mess to untangle, resolve to be better from now on, keep track, loose track, etc.

    Another thing that I've only recently begun to see in myself is my tendency to sort of... hm, how to put it... expect the other person to help me solve problems. For example, when communicating with a contractor about what I need from him, I've found myself narrating the whole problem and then kind of ending on a sort of question of "now what?", when what I really need to do is think this all out for myself ahead of time and only really bother him with what I specifically know I need from him. I mean, I do want to make sure that everybody involved has all the info they need, but I think sometimes I tend to expect to sort of just lay out the info and then have the people around me figure out what to do. Which doesn't really work if there's no one around who either should or wants to do that. So that's a pitfall, one that I've just become aware of.

    I mentioned above that I find I often lack a practical and pragmatic approach. I do what I can, and it usually suffices if I try hard enough (or it seems to), but often I get the feeling that there's a better way I could be doing things or that I'm missing something important. It's hard for me to be grounded and sensible and realistic and utilitarian and purely logical all the time.

    I find I tend to expect good things to come to me instead of me having to go out and get them for myself. I mean, I know in my head that it isn't really like that, but nonetheless I find that is a tendency in myself. So that's something I'm constantly either having to force myself to do or feeling guilty for not doing so.


    ...

    On the other hand, owning/running a small business is excellent for getting to multi-task, not being stuck with just one thing to do all day, challenging you to grow and learn constantly, providing opportunities to network, promoting creative thinking, and allowing you to do something you like on a relatively regular basis (provided, of course, that your small business is centered around an interest of yours). Among other things.
    Awesome , thanks Minde. I see what you are saying. In my case, since it's going to start off really small, I won't probably encounter some of those problems until further down the road. The "attaching emotions to things" is 100% true in my case, and I've had significant problems with it as well. To me the important thing is to look at these things as potential strengths towards something else, even though it seems like a weakness. Of course, it's not a strength when it comes to having things done, but there has to be something that it's good for.

  13. #13
    07490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    there
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    Wow I think a Te-focused SLI entrepreneur sounds pretty ideal. Where do such guys hang out?
    I can't say for sure but i feel like in the city there is definite segregation of parts where there is all four Quardra theme are represented. You will definity and proberly find more SLI in sports club, non competitive sports where sports is a mere mean of exercising, I should properly ask my brother in law where he would properly be in the city and what part he likes best, but most of the time i know he would be busy in his office or handling his side business, oh and he likes all sort of pets, where he got me into owning an aquarium

    Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    Numbers will give you his number, don't worry.
    oh for sure if she wants it
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

    2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    I can't say for sure but i feel like in the city there is definite segregation of parts where there is all four Quardra theme are represented. You will definity and proberly find more SLI in sports club, non competitive sports where sports is a mere mean of exercising, I should properly ask my brother in law where he would properly be in the city and what part he likes best, but most of the time i know he would be busy in his office or handling his side business, oh and he likes all sort of pets, where he got me into owning an aquarium

    oh for sure if she wants it

    LOL, that's OK! I prefer single dudes thanks Interesting, I'd love to hear your ideas on which parts of the city are represented by which quadra! (new thread perhaps?) In the meantime, I will have to hang out at sports-for-fun type events!!
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •