Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Socionical Syntax

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    I agree that the symbols are dumb. I remember reading the reason for them but I dont recall why. Maybe they wanted universal appeal. I dunno.
    I didn't mean to judge them so harshly as you people are now Just pointing out that personally I have some problems interpreting them...it seems I'm not the only one. Anyways I'm not trying to make those people who like them stop using them

Creepy-pokeball

That's kind of the point, Woodie. Why use something that requires extra processing when it truely doesnt even need to exist?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because you're way too practical, Jadae, that's why. :wink:
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Creepy-pokeball

True!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pedro, why don't you agree with the subjective-introversion thing? i find it helpful.

as for the symbols... i find that i "type" people with symbols now... i see the funcitons in people as the symbols. so i don't think "entj" anymore, but i'd see . it's just the visualization thing i like... even if i don't always use it while writing.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    "objective perception logic" - ESTp ENTp (lookalike)
    Ah... I was thinking objective perception logics as extp

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    pedro, why don't you agree with the subjective-introversion thing? i find it helpful.
    Because introverts have varying levels of subjectivity, as do extraverts, let alone the two groups combined. I think it would be hard to make the case that an istj is less objective than an esfp for example.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But wouldn't you consider Ti and Fi subjective reasonsing, and Se objective perception? Ti and Fi have to do with more of your internal perspective.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But wouldn't you consider Ti and Fi subjective reasonsing,
    I am not sure the that objectivity is possible. In my mind is like that happens to be general knowledge in some ways. In other words objectivity should not be measured in relation to ability of the information to be transferred but in the accuracy of the information.

and Se objective perception?
    No. Our senses can mislead us, be faullty, or lack the capacity to distinguish what is actually happening. For example we are hurtling through space at high speeds and do not sense it. What if you met an esxp who was a blind deaf/mute for example? Would you trust their perceptions more than your own?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro-the-Lion
    I am not sure the that objectivity is possible. In my mind is like that happens to be general knowledge in some ways. In other words objectivity should not be measured in relation to ability of the information to be transferred but in the accuracy of the information.
    That is certainly correct as far as is concerned, but can you explain to me then how could be objective at all?
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps cohesive would be a better word? Modelling seems to be an 'objective' use of .

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    That is certainly correct as far as is concerned, but can you explain to me then how could be objective at all?
    is objective in the sense that it doesn't really "lie:" what it says is objective truth. The difference is that it uses logic (meaning what sort of "intuitively" [not in a socionics sense] makes sense) instead of facts (verified numbers, etc.). usually manifests itself as a personalized version of . Does that make sense?

I like to think of it like this:

+ - A personally favored belief system qualified by objective facts

+ - One strain of thought chosen from many because it appeals to personal logic

That's just one example, but I think it gets the point across. Does it make sense to you?
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps cohesive would be a better word? Modelling seems to be an 'objective' use of .
    Yes, cohesive is a better word, and so is modelling.

However - and I'll exaggerate to make the point - it would be difficult to speak of "objectivity" for :

- ISTjs - creates cohesive models, but limited to their experience of concrete data. Subjectivity: further concrete data are rejected once model has been designed

- INTjs - creates cohesive models, but limited to their conceptions. Subjectivity: little concerned with concrete data

So sure, such models may be very internally cohesive, but the choice of the data used to create the models seems to be totally subjective.

So in terms of "objectivity" - just to get the terms right - is about flawed (since incomplete) objectivity, and about cohesive subjectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by gilligan87
    is objective in the sense that it doesn't really "lie:" what it says is objective truth. The difference is that it uses logic (meaning what sort of "intuitively" [not in a socionics sense] makes sense) instead of facts (verified numbers, etc.). usually manifests itself as a personalized version of . Does that make sense?
    Yes, that is more or less what I meant just above.

I like to think of it like this:

+ - A personally favored belief system qualified by objective facts

That's just one example, but I think it gets the point across. Does it make sense to you?
    It does make sense.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually disagree with this and I have further elaborations to make on Te vs. Ti but I will wait until later to post them as I am sleepy. For now I will just say that seems to be more "objective" (not in the same sense of course) than in certain ways in that it does not favor that which is known (?) over that which is not. I am not sure how to phrase this in a manner that is not biased for or against either or though so I will sleep on it and leave that as the closest approximation I could think up on the spot.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, cohesive is a better word, and so is modelling.

However - and I'll exaggerate to make the point - it would be difficult to speak of "objectivity" for :

- ISTjs - creates cohesive models, but limited to their experience of concrete data. Subjectivity: further concrete data are rejected once model has been designed

- INTjs - creates cohesive models, but limited to their conceptions. Subjectivity: little concerned with concrete data

So sure, such models may be very internally cohesive, but the choice of the data used to create the models seems to be totally subjective.

So in terms of "objectivity" - just to get the terms right - is about flawed (since incomplete) objectivity, and about cohesive subjectivity.
    I'll give you my thoughts on Te vs Ti, hope to clarify this once and for all

I think it's not such a good idea to divide Te and Ti and say one is objective and the other subjective. Because basically both Te and Ti are forms of Thinking (the socionics function T - objective judgement), this means its task is to capture the objective, concrete world exactly the way it is

My point is that Te and Ti is the same thing (T), only that it has a different approach to it.

Thus the focus of is on reflection, expression or transimission (all these words have the same meaning here) of the data from objective world

on the other hand, seeks rather to understand and interpret the objective world. In order this to be achieved Ti needs to create a model to be able to make comparisons with and so to come to an analysis of the facts, data, figures etc. The model serves as a tool, if you like, for investigation the reality.

Recently, I've realized Ti fits wonderfully and amazingly with the concept of "ideal type" developed originally by Max Weber.

I'll post here only a bit of what I've found

ideal type

in the social sciences, mental construct derived from observable reality although not conforming to it in detail because of deliberate simplification and exaggeration. It is not ideal in the sense that it is excellent, nor is it an average; it is, rather, a logical ideal used to order reality by selecting and accentuating certain elements.

The concept of the ideal type was developed by the early-20th-century German sociologist Max Weber, who used it in his historical studies. Some writers confine the use of ideal types to general, suprahistorical phenomena (e.g., bureaucracy) that recur in different times and places, although Weber also used them for historically unique occurrences (e.g., his famous Protestant ethic).

Problems in using the ideal type include its tendency to focus attention on extreme, or polar, phenomena, while overlooking the connections between them, and the difficulty of showing how the types and their elements fit into a conception of a total social system.
    and some detailed explanation of how it actually works this model, this mind construct
    "Weber (1903-1917) described the construction of an ideal type in the following manner:

'An ideal type is formed by the one-sided accentuation of one or more points of view and by the synthesis of a great many diffuse, discrete, more or less present, and occasionally absent concrete individual phenomena, which are arranged according to those one-sidedly emphasized viewpoints into a unified thought-construct. (p. 90)'

"We focus on reality from the point of view that is dictated by our values. From this point of view, we notice certain features of reality and ignore those features that would become visible only from other points of view. We thus select only certain features of reality relevant to the point of view we have adopted; we then postulate connections among these selected features. We thus go beyond the data in order to conceive of relationships that underlie them.

"Ideal types, moreover, are idealized descriptions of the concrete features of things that are given from this particular point of view. The concrete features of things frequently prove to be difficult to distinguish from one another; their identities may remain fuzzy, fluid, indefinite, and vague. With ideal types, we draw precise and clear conceptual boundaries around these features of things. We conceptually set aside the real indistinctness and ambiguity, and we imagine a 'pure' case in which the relevant features are distinct and unambiguous. Furthermore, in actual cases the features may vary so widely that each individual seems unique and incomparable to others. The ideal type, however, specifies manifold features, all of which are not found in each actual case. The features delineated by the ideal type are, as Weber expressed it, 'more of less present' and 'occasionally absent' in individual cases.

"The result is a general category that in all likelihood does not exactly depict any actually existing instance of it. Rather, the category describes a general class that has been deliberately 'perfected' and 'purified' for intellectual purposes. The scientific mind requires clear, distinct, and precisely defined concepts in order to comprehend reality. And the perfection and purity of the ideal type make it a clear, distinct and intelligible concept. The realities themselves are never so clear, distinct, and intelligible; that is why they would remain forever unintelligible if exact concepts were not constructed and applied to them."

"Ideal types, as a system of interconnected concepts, can then serve as a kind of 'theory' for the study of any particular phenomenon. We call this 'a kind of "theory"' because it is not a theory in the usual sense of providing a conceptual representation of reality that will be either true or false. Ideal types, as we have said, are not true or false; they are only helpful or unhelpful in the further investigation of reality. Yet in further investigation of reality, it would seem to be more helpful to employ a fully defined system of interrelated concepts than to use merely one or two sparsely defined notions" (424-25).

I'll argue that the collected data is objective, what might give you the impression that it isn't is the personal approach to it, where the subject - I, my person - is involved and seeks to interpret the reality rather than expressing it the way it is. In few words, like somebody said, Ti is nothing but a personalized version of Te

EDIT: if by "subjective" you mean selective, then I agree, Ti is selective with the data collected, but not with the final target to be biased towards an opinion or a fixed idea or something, but because otherwise it couldn't be analysed so much amount of data, so it needs to cut it down in order to be examined carefully

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bravo Pedro, nicely put!

and true. I think both Ti and Te try to be accurate in the end, it's just a different proccessing style

EDIT: and I have to admit, the Ti processing style is much much slower, precisely because it needs to understand before arriving at any conclusion whatsoever.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was wondering just how much ISTJs are "practical", and how much they trust "facts" when their dominant funciton is Ti? They seem to enjoy facts and such, but that goes away from the Ti thing.

How about Krauss?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah... do you usually collect "facts" and things?
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah... do you usually collect "facts"
    You didn't ask me but I will answer. My sister-in-law is ESTp and she collects enormous amounts of facts. Those facts she has observed herself with her own senses she trusts completely over anybody else's observations. Towards facts that she reads from a book or hears from someone else she is rather critical and accepts them only after analysis and comparison to her own observations.

For example if I try to convince her (using socionics) that our relationship should be this and that kind but her own observations disagree with that she would dismiss what socionics says immediately and completely.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't mean just mental models by the way but modeling the technique including such things as solar modelling, correlations between neurological activity and behavior/perception, and GIS. Cryptanalysis and some aspects of # theory seem to also be based. I think this is because tends to take a set of data and interpret it in terms of itself. In cases such as the above the information chosen to make the analysis is not very subjective but it is LIMITED.

If the data set includes imprecision then that carries over to the interrelations noted. This is not the fault of the method by which they are derived but of lack of access to correct data from which to make accurate analysis. I am reminded of the perpetual cry of the mentat for more data who notes that certain information is still missing and alternative outcomes are possible with the data set.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12