TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default The Functions - according to B&D

The functions...demystified.

If a function is beginning to confuse you, please refer to this list in order to snap yourself out of it.

Ni: Introverted Intuition. Ni is about introverted intuition. Introverted: gaining power from your self, pre-occupied with your own thoughts and feelings... and combined with intuition, instinct etc...it's about self-analyizations and exploring inner worlds and your hunches. Since one can only find meaning in the world by looking inside one self, it's about deeper meanings too. Ni is never about what is right/wrong, but about what is meaningful. Ni also understands (though not necessarily effects or directs) the 'inner workings' (what makes something tick in and of itself, regardless of what people say SHOULD or DOES happen) of phenomenon quite naturally.

Ne: Extroverted Intuition: Ne is about projecting and understanding the intuition/inner worlds of everybody in the world. It's about combining and balancing what multiple people (extroversion- gaining energy from others) think about a given subject. That's why ENFps have a tendency to be so diplomatic, docile and "Politically correct" when it comes to all the issues we face in the world. They can't help this, that's just how Ne is manifested.

Se: Extroverted Sensing: This one is a bit tricky (and is technically the most poorly-named function in the socion, semantically speaking) for a lot of people to understand since, inherently all functions are psychological. So psychological in fact, it's hard to ever accurately describe a function in words as even in writing I am externalizing things. You can't really think of extroverted sensing as some tactile purely 'physical/corporeal' process of basic touch even if that's tempting to do so. When looked at psychologically, all extroverted sensing really translates to is one's own psychological *will-power* and also psychologically sensing the will-power in others. That's why Se-egos act quickly and with so much self-confidence.

Si: Introverted Sensing: Describes how well you yourself, psychologically (which in ways gets translated to physical manifestations) respond to the comfort in *everything* in the universe. Extreme, but ultimately true- as one really can't dilute what Si *purely* is in any way. Not just 'how good the room looks', but also how sharp or soft people are being in their psychological communications etc. (Fe is sometimes confused with Si, but as you know from my behavior here I rarely care about the comfort of others as much as I worry about the emotional impact.)

Fe: Extroverted feeling: Extroversion (getting energy from others) and feelings, well you know what those are. So Fe is about getting energy from the feeling of others. It's really that simple. People with 'good Fe' get energy from how other people are feeling. They want people to feel okay because they get psychological energy from that. They want to obey certain rules of etiquette and social norms, not because they're trying to be too 'politically correct' and annoying, or 'Too Fake' but because they themselves are empowered if they can direct the mood of a situation. I kinda said the same thing three times, but that's another example of my Fe manifesting. Fe is about obvious emphasis. But it doesn't naturally embellish something so much as to not make it true any more.

Fi: Introverted feeling: Okay see the pattern here. Introversion, gaining energy from your self....and feelings...again, you know what those are. So Fi is about getting energy from your own feelings. Which translates to how much you like or hate a certain object. It also gives you an awareness of what is important to other people, which can be similar to Ni/Se but more erm 'relationship-orientated' and more naturally objective.

Te: Te is about psychologically projecting and understanding what is objectively and purely true. Not what you yourself think of facts- or even your personal viewpoint AT ALL, but basically what something purely objectively *is.* That's why Te is so business-like. Te-egos easily synthesize and construct all mental information from outside sources, being easily able to smooth out any 'junk' or subjective filters that would get in the way of directly expressing the situation and exposing everything for what it is. That's not to say that Te is like anti-emotion or anything, just that because of the inherent know-how at externally categorizing intelligence- it easily appears that way. ESTjs and ENTjs' own subjective feelings about Te (and lots of other things) can be very strong, passionate and romantic, but psychologically, as the function itself -- that's not what it is about.

Ti: Ti is about raw, pure intelligence basically. How 'raw-ly' smart you are, how easily you can mentally categorize and compartmentalize information (like all intelligent people do), such as professors/educators. (Not necessarily paying any privy to the expression or externalization thereof, which is Te) Yes everybody is smart in their own way and even Ti-egos will do stupid shit. But Ti as a function describes inner, innate intelligence....kind of the building block (reality tunnels) in the mind. As such it also connects the other functions together in the mind, naturally. Ti is the glue, and the reason why Ti-egos are so misunderstood/socially awkward, is exactly because of this. It's basically smartness in a vacuum. When looked at Ti directly, it isn't sexy nor does it try to be. But it serves as the inner urge in us all that makes us think about everything we're doing.
    Last edited by Hot Scalding Gayser; 04-02-2009 at 06:03 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

If I had to describe every function in a one-word nutshell or 'wrap-up'; it would be as follows:

Ni: Meaning
    Ne: Knowledge
    Se: Drive
    Si: Comfort
    Fe: Emotions
    Fi: Relations
    Te: Logic
    Ti: Intelligence

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    If I had to describe every function in a one-word nutshell or 'wrap-up'; it would be as follows:

I like those!

I once made a similar thread with one word descriptions for their resulting behaviour characteristics. I'll try to find it.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here it is:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...-elements.html

--------------------------------------------------------

Introvert Sensing Behaviour : Awareness

Extravert Sensing Behaviour : Observant

Introvert Intuition Behaviour : Imaginative

Extravert Intuition Behaviour : Ideas

Introvert Logic Behaviour : Analysing

Extravert Logic Behaviour : Business-like

Introvert Ethics Behaviour : Caring

Extravert Ethics Behaviour : Emotions

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post

Classically, Ti gets logic; Te is "productivity." Si=comfort only works in Alpha... and Ne is not "knowledge," indeed it has a tendency to go off into things that aren't real at all.

"Intelligence" is rather a loaded word, although I get what you meant by it. Admittedly, I find Ti=intelligence rather flattering...

The source of energy (self or others) doesn't refer to the E/I dichotomy for functions... it refers to the E/I dichotomy for types. Yes, that is different; Fe creative is type-introverted.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I was being more purely psychological (Ni) by calling Te Logic instead of Productivity, since Productivity was too much of an external manifestation for me. Obviously even I, as an IEI can be Productive as long as I stick to certain things.

But I hear ya.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This made me think. With NiFe this could be about sensing turbulence in others through the frequency's of emotionalism or energy, then naturally finding out the source or place of the energy or inner workings of the original source. With a positive healthy mindset this could be used as a tool for finding disharmony and bringing about peace with the information that's intuitively gathered. With a negative or insane mindset (one clouded by chaos) this could be linked to dwelling on horror and feelings of inadequacy and using ones ability of finding negative frequencies to jump to rapid conclusions and cause more disharmony by digging in deep and using that information to emotionally crush another.
    Yes! This reminds me of how easily I can 'sense' Ashton's Si polr. For example when he gets on stickam, I am easily aware of how he seems to be just psychologically unable to respond to the all-around comfort of others, and himself. He just totally ignores it and it's bothersome for him, like Te is for me. There's like no energy there for him it's like this total black hole.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

The source of energy (self or others) doesn't refer to the E/I dichotomy for functions... it refers to the E/I dichotomy for types. Yes, that is different; Fe creative is type-introverted.
    I know technically it doesn't make good sense to um strip the functions away out of their respective places like that....but I wanted people to get a solid idea of what the functions actually were in a pure Ni-like way kinda, before sorting them out in their respective places with the Model A blocks. Obviously things get even more interesting the more you realize how Fe is different (though without losing its sense of core/raw ness) for all 16 of the types.

So this list will be good to see what people's dominant functions are like for them. However if you get more deeper and well 'logical' (I guess), I know it has all sorts of errors, though that's not what I was intending.

ps Jarno: I like your list. Although for Ne....being 'Ideas' hmm. Well yes but so is Ni...I view Ne as more of the collection of multiple ideas put together , and for me 'Knowledge' is the better word. YMMV though.