Thread: Quadra "Contracts"

Creepy-male

Default Quadra "Contracts"

So, here's a point for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilingeyes View Post
    About that nightlife, dancing, mixing of cultures thing.

I recently found a bar that is the most delta place ever. I occasionally write messages from it. The bartender/owner is an ISTp of about 50 years. He's combat sport hobbyist and his other job is doing physiotherapy. There's no dance floor. The tables are surrounded by comfy chairs and sofas where possible. There's a substantial number of magazines and board games and free internet access available in the front room. The place carries an abnormally large selection of beers, ciders, whiskeys and varieties of absinth. There's a free jukebox that carries local bands and music from the 30's to 80's. Nothing from the past 20 years but pretty much just quality music. The bartender doesn't serve anyone who is loud, drunk, wears very weird clothing or seems generally weird, he points them out. The place opens up when then owner wants and closes when the owner wants, no open hours are given anywhere. This is the front room.

The back room ... I haven't been to the back room because only people who have been around for years get to the back room. But I do know that the group there knows each other from years back and spend time watching tv and having snacks and apparently laughing quite a lot.

Anyone who dances gets thrown out. And what mixing of cultures is present goes under the title "hospitality". There's plenty of that. People talk to each other quite a lot and about quite varying subjects. The atmosphere is friendly, but reserved. I once mentioned that I liked a particular 80's tv show. Someone overheard it and a week later they came to talk to me and mentioned that they had tracked down some guy who worked for a company that was distributing it and could get me cheap dvds, as an example. The bar also serves the best hot chocolate in town. Famous for it. That bar is as close to deltaland as a place can be.
    This post seems to describe, in essence, an underlying set of tacit rules, sort of like a contract.

Is this an Aristocratic thing? Or does every quadra have a set of expectations that everyone within shares? What are they?

Gogogogogogogo!

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erm idk, I tend to get that vibe from the aristocratic quadras. Gamma is very closed, but once you're in, the treatment is informal ime.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think anybody who is not acquainted or feel comfortable in a group will feel the need to be 'formal'.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... and some groups are more "acquaintive" than others
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    ... and some groups are more "acquaintive" than others
    True. But I'm a Delta and I can be quite loud around my group of friends in a "non-acquaintive" fashion.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt raucous behavior is limited to Alpha-Beta.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then what do you mean by 'formal' behaviour that you see in Aristocratic quadras and 'informal' behaviour you see in Democratic ones?
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I wasn't being that clear-cut.

Alpha is never "formal" tbh. Gamma is just cold and exclusive, but once inside a Gamma group you don't have to worry too much and everyone is basically free to do whatever. Beta is not formal naturally. They use formality in symbolic/power structures more as a means. Delta seems formal to me naturally...

I wouldn't use "formal" to describe aristocratic quadras nor "informal" for democratic.

Aristocratic quadras are more selective of members. Or at least who can interact with ease within groups. Democratics make less of a distinction between "us and them".

As it turns out, most wars are Beta-Delta conflicts. Alpha-Gamma just do not associate with groups enough. Alpha is extremely open and Gamma makes their groups so small that the relationship is to personal for "patriotism".

There is some interesting macro quadra dynamics stuff to think about. Especially, inter-quadra struggle.
    The end is nigh

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    I think anybody who is not acquainted or feel comfortable in a group will feel the need to be 'formal'.
    In serious situations I can be formal.

Then in casual situations extremely unformal. Including to new people. Who can be way too formal with me.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Tbh, every group sort of has its own “etiquette” within it. Maybe the etiquette is to wear a jacket and tie, or maybe it's to be an asshole to show how much you care. People who act how most people would consider “warm and inviting” make me extremely uncomfortable. They make me feel like I'm supposed to laugh at jokes when they're not funny, to smile excessively, etc. To me, that is being formal. I suppose my “informal” would be formal to you, but it's the way I feel most comfortable.
    I dated a male ESI just like this. Come to think of it, I'll bet he was 6w5 also and sx-first. HA. I can remember how our little group of friends was very exclusive. But then how within that group it was great. I felt SO special being a part of his group. It was like I had arrived. Very proud. haha
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tbh, every group sort of has its own “etiquette” within it. Maybe the etiquette is to wear a jacket and tie, or maybe it's to be an asshole to show how much you care. People who act how most people would consider “warm and inviting” make me extremely uncomfortable. They make me feel like I'm supposed to laugh at jokes when they're not funny, to smile excessively, etc. To me, that is being formal. I suppose my “informal” would be formal to you, but it's the way I feel most comfortable.
    Exactly. I don't always have issues with it, but in some situations it feels awkward and forced and I don't really know how to respond. And then people assume I'm a stuck-up bitch. That's probably what bothers me the most. The pervasive assumption that Fi = snob. Not at all. I'm just calmer than you think I should be.
    IEE

TIM
    ILE (ENTp)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my eyes, betas and gammas make closed groups. Deltas and alphas mix now and then, but deltas always seem a bit aloof to newcomers.
    ILE "Searcher"
    Socionics: ENTp
    DCNH: Dominant --> perhaps Normalizing
    Enneagram: 7w6 "Enthusiast"
    MBTI: ENTJ "Field Marshall" or ENTP "Inventor"
    Astrological sign: Aquarius

To learn, read. To know, write. To master, teach.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

bump, yeah i know this is super old but i like it. i'm always curious to see how people view the aristocrat/democrat thing. and i liked the way this thread was going with the impressions of how closed/open the different quadras are. and i think i would like that bar. not that i agree w/ the owner on all the details or w/e, but just the vibe - is this sort of thing that people talk about when they mention the implicit standards in delta?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm as informal as I imagine anyone can be. I don't dig this idea about Beta/Aristocratic, if it's really all that formal. I try not to be offensive in it, but I think I find some angle to assume familiarity fairly quick. Enough that I notice it's out of place with others.. in workplaces, I can't help from being a little personal with employers, while some others have a more deferring attitude. Sometimes it seems to piss the more stuffy people off though. I remember getting this cold glare from a preacher, for example, because I said his wife was attractive. And when that happened, I couldn't help from laughing a little. His social role didn't mean anything to me. She was hot, for an older woman. What can I say?

I don't think formalities jive well with Fe creative or Fi PoLR alike.

TIM
    C-EIE, 7-4-8 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stray View Post
    I'm as informal as I imagine anyone can be. I don't dig this idea about Beta/Aristocratic, if it's really all that formal. I try not to be offensive in it, but I think I find some angle to assume familiarity fairly quick. Enough that I notice it's out of place with others.. in workplaces, I can't help from being a little personal with employers, while some others have a more deferring attitude. Sometimes it seems to piss the more stuffy people off though. I remember getting this cold glare from a preacher, for example, because I said his wife was attractive. And when that happened, I couldn't help from laughing a little. His social role didn't mean anything to me. She was hot, for an older woman. What can I say?

I don't think formalities jive well with Fe creative or Fi PoLR alike.
    This, pretty much. Formality is more of a Serious thing than an Aristocratic thing.
    What do these signs mean—, , etc.? Why cannot socionists use symbols Ne, Ni etc. as in MBTI? Just because they have somewhat different meaning. Socionics and MBTI, each in its own way, have slightly modified the original Jung's description of his 8 psychological types. For this reason, (Ne) is not exactly the same as Ne in MBTI.

Just one example: in MBTI, Se (extraverted sensing) is associated with life pleasures, excitement etc. By contrast, the socionic function (extraverted sensing) is first and foremost associated with control and expansion of personal space (which sometimes can manifest in excessive aagression, but often also manifests in a capability of managing lots of people and things).

For this reason, we consider comparison between MBTI types and socionic types by functions to be rather useless than useful.

-Victor Gulenko, Dmitri Lytov

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really not that great with being 'formal.' Sure I can put on the act and dance the dance, but at the end of the day if I have to wear a mask of politeness around a group of people just to fit in with them then I'm gonna end up disappointed. Fi/Te probably comes off as more formal to Fe/Ti valuers since it'll generally appear to be more emotionally restrained anyways.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

what do you guys mean by formal? if its not showing much emotion or familiarity with people you dont know, then yeah i'm formal. i do think i have a thicker wall than most when it comes to getting to a point where i let loose around them or whatever. its not about consciously being aloof or trying to maintain some kind of aristocratic demeanor or anything, lol...it just has to do with where my boundaries are. there have been times when i've been comfortable letting my guard down right away with someone but it hardly ever happens. i like when others are familiar and informal as long as it feels natural and i dont feel pressured. i dont necessarily see formality as the "right" way to be or anything. but i appreciate when people dont take it personally and its really hard to let go of it with people who do.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

as far as quadras in general, the only trend i've really noticed is that people i've typed alpha have tended to be more informal and i suppose inclusive.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to know this Si Te guy who was so formal it made me laugh but it was also confusing and bewildering at times. He'd even be formal in texts like "hello, how are you doing this morning" before saying anything substantial. I mean, it's fine to be unassuming, but at some point you have to just dive in and be yourself. I didn't like feeling like I had to start all over again every time we talked. It was quite odd.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yup, I think I am formal although I don't even bother when it comes to people I don't want anything to do with or people that don't interest me at all. With close ones, that is, people I can count on it is a different story.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laghlagh View Post
    what do you guys mean by formal? if its not showing much emotion or familiarity with people you dont know, then yeah i'm formal.
    Yeah, a good portion of it has to do with how well I know the person and how comfortable I am around them in general.

not gonna be around as much anymore
    TIM
    C-IEE
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You get kicked out if you dance? At all? I'm pretty sure I would get kicked out at some point, then...
    My life's work (haha):
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin/blog.php?b=709
    Input, PLEASEAnd thank you

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    You get kicked out if you dance? At all? I'm pretty sure I would get kicked out at some point, then...
    Good thing I don't dance.

Punk
    TIM
    ESE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the word raucous related to raccoon?

Quote Originally Posted by pianosinger View Post
    SHHHHHHHHHH! Don't let anyone know! Don't even mention it! MY GAWD WOMAN

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vois View Post
    I know some people who won't actually "kick out" of their group, a person they don't like, but instead will subtly treat that person poorly, and talk about them behind their back... even while re-inviting that person to go hang out again (especially if he has something they want). Maybe that is an example of a democratic group letting everyone in, even if they don't like them. Whereas an aristocratic group will just be like.. gtfo.
    You might as well be right about that. I hate that kind of "democratic" hypocrisy.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.