View Poll Results: Are you "spur of the moment"? (Don't be a prick and answer if you're not LSI)

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 33.33%
  • No

2 66.67%
  • Other (please elaborate)

0 0%

Thread: LSIs/ISTjs: are you "spur of the moment"?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default LSIs/ISTjs: are you "spur of the moment"?

Poll. And justification, if you'd like.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Ezra,

Do you want me to answer your question?
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you're simply waiting for an LSI reply (and idolatrie will probably reply soon, since the words 'spur of the moment' made her lol), but I really have to say: No, they're not 'spur of the moment'. And that's a good thing. It doesn't make them boring, anal-retentive or stagnant in any way, either.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I felt obliged to answer yes or no to the poll, other just seemed like such a cop-out. But it was a little like 'answer yes or no only, have you stopped beating your wife', you know? Anyways.

I've never conceptualised myself as 'spur of the moment', nor do I see the fact that I'm not as a character defect in any way. I am not secretly yearning to be a spontaneous ball of fluff. I remember when I came across the original post on this forum which seemed to suggest LSIs thought they were spontaneous, and pretty much went, dude, you're so off the mark, but I figured it wasn't like a big deal. Because it's just so damn obvious to me?

I like planning things out. I do this pretty much automatically, and it is no strain - it's just how my mind works. I want to know where I'm heading, what I'm going to do there, how everything is going to come together. But this doesn't mean that I'm incapable of doing things without planning - it just isn't my natural inclination.

I...honestly don't see what is so appealing about being a 'spur of the moment' kind of person. What is so inherently superior about not making plans? Does it make you a better, more fun kind of person? I don't know. Does not compute. Bzzzzp.

I don't think this makes me inflexible. I've had friends ring me up in the morning and say 'hey, I've got tickets to the cricket/movies/theatre, want to come in x hours?' and I've said yes. I've also said no. It partly depends on whether I've had other plans which I think should take precedence, or if I feel in the mood, or whatever. If I get told at the last minute about something exciting, sure I'll give it a go if I feel like it.

I doubt I'd choose to do something (of my own initiative that was not time sensitive) on a whim though. I prefer to think things through, and work them out to my satisfaction. I mean, I have my own specific standards of how much I need to plan something though. When I was overseas with unefille, we wanted to do a side-trip to another state - I planned in advance which days we would head off, and made sure that we could get transport there. I didn't think I needed to book where we would stay, or pre-buy the tickets we'd need to get around, I just thought we'd handle that on the fly. Is that 'spur of the moment'? Frankly I don't really think of it that way, but *shrugs*.

For the big things in life, I'm definitely not spur of the moment. I believe in making a deliberate, informed decision. I could not, would not, decide anything on a whim. I want to be fully aware of the implications of my choices, and as a corollary of that I think it is important to 'own' your decisions, if you will, and not just leave things up to some concept of fate or whimsy. I'm constantly considering new information, assimilating that into my plans, varying and tweaking them in response. So it is more about incorporation rather than seismic shifts suddenly occurring (though sometimes things change massively, and so to do your plans. You may have to junk plans you'd had for years, but all you can do is play the hand you are dealt and make new plans). I'm not flakey, I'm not changeable, and I make no apologies for that.

So I guess, short answer: no, and uh, why would I want to be?
    allez cuisine!

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quoted the parts from idolatrie's response that I identify with.

Quote Originally Posted by idolatrie View Post
    I like planning things out. I do this pretty much automatically, and it is no strain - it's just how my mind works. I want to know where I'm heading, what I'm going to do there, how everything is going to come together. But this doesn't mean that I'm incapable of doing things without planning - it just isn't my natural inclination.
    I don't think this makes me inflexible. I've had friends ring me up in the morning and say 'hey, I've got tickets to the cricket/movies/theatre, want to come in x hours?' and I've said yes. I've also said no. It partly depends on whether I've had other plans which I think should take precedence, or if I feel in the mood, or whatever. If I get told at the last minute about something exciting, sure I'll give it a go if I feel like it.
    I doubt I'd choose to do something (of my own initiative that was not time sensitive) on a whim though. I prefer to think things through, and work them out to my satisfaction.
    For the big things in life, I'm definitely not spur of the moment. I believe in making a deliberate, informed decision. I could not, would not, decide anything on a whim. I want to be fully aware of the implications of my choices, and as a corollary of that I think it is important to 'own' your decisions, if you will, and not just leave things up to some concept of fate or whimsy. I'm constantly considering new information, assimilating that into my plans, varying and tweaking them in response. So it is more about incorporation rather than seismic shifts suddenly occurring (though sometimes things change massively, and so to do your plans. You may have to junk plans you'd had for years, but all you can do is play the hand you are dealt and make new plans). I'm not flakey, I'm not changeable, and I make no apologies for that.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ winterpark

OK, I went and found the thread that inspired this one. I don't really know how to respond to pancake's original line, because um, no? I'm confused as to why I would think that? Going off the quote it replied to, I don't think being Se-creative implies being spur of the moment. I think it means I'm aware of changes that occur in the material world, though.

And in terms of being adventurous, I am in some regards, and not in others. As in, I have my habits which are fairly deeply ingrained, and I'll tend to just follow those because hey, I know what I like, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But it doesn't mean I'm not up for new experiences. And there are some areas in life where I'm pretty certain that I need to be constantly challenged. I don't like boredom. (And yes, being bored is different from having a routine!) I take great pleasure in discovering new things I enjoy.

I also, fundamentally, don't really care what other people think of my tastes and habits and well, way of being. I know what I like, I appreciate what I think is quality, and that's enough for me.
    allez cuisine!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that actually characterises me as well, idolatrie. I hate doing things on a whim. Maybe it's because I'm an ENTJ.

Winterpark, if you're an LSI, answer by all means.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Winterpark, if you're an LSI, answer by all means.
    My post was a joke... did you seriously think I'd ever call you "Dear"? And I don't consider myself an LSI, but I know you did in the past, so that's why I posted. And my response to idolatrie's post was not a joke, btw.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    My post was a joke... did you seriously think I'd ever call you "Dear"?
    Yes?

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes?
    Ok, I guess I've been pwned. Or maybe not. I can't tell.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I guess I've been pwned. Or maybe not. I can't tell.
    Weak . I get it all the time.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weak . I get it all the time.
    What do you get all the time?

I don't think being Se-creative implies being spur of the moment. I think it means I'm aware of changes that occur in the material world, though.
    I think what Se-does in this case is more that LSIs are able to react to something sudden happening in their surroundings, and by that way do something unplanned. That could for example immobilize a LII, in the same situation. My LII friend told me that he really must think things through before doing anything in a sudden or new situation. While I've seen LSIs doing things spontaniously. For example my grandmothers husband thought that me and my brother were hungry, because we had a long trip. So in the next stop-lights, he just stepped out of the car, run to fetch us some chips (or crisps I suppose, since we were in England ) from the trunk of the car. And then came back in, and started to drive again when lights turned green.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you get all the time?
    Not knowing whether or not I've been emotionally pwnz.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This poll made me lol. I almost voted on behalf of my LSI step-mom who is never spur of the moment. That woman plans shit down to the minute.

Screw it, I voted for her.
    ILE
    7w8 so/sp

Very busy with work. Only kind of around.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not knowing whether or not I've been emotionally pwnz.
    So who got pwnd in this thread I still don't get, lol. Did you know I was screwing around in my first post and got back at me or were you not sure/oblivious?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who got pwnd in this thread I still don't get, lol. Did you know I was screwing around in my first post and got back at me or were you not sure/oblivious?
    You may or may not have been pwnd by me. I certainly was not pwnd by you.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may or may not have been pwnd by me. I certainly was not pwnd by you.
    lol, that's exactly what I'd say, too.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, that's exactly what I'd say, too.
    identicalz

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

identicalz

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YOU ARE SO

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

YOU ARE SO