Thread: Gary Numan

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gary Numan

quotes:

Song-writing is therapy for me. I'm a very moody person, very difficult to live with. There's a lot going on and a lot of contradictions. My life is always one step away from disaster.

I was a loner as a child and happiest at home, launching toy rockets and aeroplanes. When I started causing trouble in my third year at grammar school, Mum was really surprised. My parents sent me to a child psychologist, who suggested I might have Asperger's syndrome. .. I'm hopeless at small talk and have a problem making eye contact.

I think if you are creative then it's an unstoppable thing. It just keeps coming throughout your entire life.

Any time anyone says anything nice about me, whether it's Lady Gaga or your neighbor, it's a nice feeling, I'm very grateful for it. It's very helpful for your career. Every time someone says something complimentary it introduces you to their audience. It gives you credibility.

I have always been far more interested in sound than technique, and how sounds work together, how they can be layered. I think electronic music, in its infancy anyway, allowed us to create music in a way that hadn't really been possible before. It created a new kind of musician.

It seems no matter what you say and how politically correctly and carefully you say it, you offend someone. Or at least I always do.

I am very old-fashioned about marriage. It is for life and I mean it. I always knew that when I met the right girl, the life I had before - being single, in a band, girls everywhere - would be over.

I sometimes wonder if I might be a bit of a disappointment to people, because they are expecting all these '80s hits and what they get is a dark industrial wall of noise.

I genuinely don't know how many albums I'm going to sell when the new album comes out, because I honestly don't know how many fans I've actually got at the moment.

I've always considered myself to be fiercely patriotic. I love Britain - its history and the down-to-earth attitude people have.

I got involved in music because I love everything about it, but now I'm in it you see the other side and it isn't much fun. Not as glamorous and enjoyable as you imagine.

-+- EII

He says he's autistic, and he's right. He's a Reactive, and all Reactives are autistic.
    Last edited by silke; 02-24-2016 at 07:20 AM. Reason: updated links

Creepy-male

I resent that. I think I was diagnosed with Aspergers simply because being Fe base and Fi ignoring is a Bad Thing.

Also, what does +++ make me?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    I resent that. I think I was diagnosed with Aspergers simply because being Fe base and Fi ignoring is a Bad Thing.
    It's actually just a bad thing for Gammas.

Also, what does +++ make me?
    I don't really see which autistic traits +++ ESE's have.

Creepy-male

We're only autistic around Serious quadras.

But I meant reactive/whatever for +++. Which am I?

EDIT

Being a sexual Seven means:

I have a good imagination (I'm autistic)
    I actually feel emotions (I'm irritable (I'm autistic))
    I don't care about relations with a broader group (I have poor social skills (I'm autistic))
    I really enjoy perfecting my understanding of things (I'm autistic) (though, this actually comes from being an ESE as well)
    I talk a lot (I'm autistic)
    I have too much energy to sleep (I'm autistic)

Ultimate conclusion: Mercurial ESEs all have Aspergers. Especially if we have three-digit IQs.
    Last edited by male; 03-21-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're only autistic around Serious quadras.

But I meant reactive/whatever for +++. Which am I?
    You're an Optimistic type. S+ types (2-7-9ers) are optimistic, empathetic and friendly.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    S+ types (2-7-9ers) are optimistic, empathetic and friendly.
    Oh good, so I have Williams syndrome too.

Awesome.

Individuals with Williams syndrome are highly verbal and sociable, but lack common sense and typically have inhibited intelligence. They also tend to demonstrate a love of music.

Patients have been described to have a "Cocktail Party" type personality.

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

bump

so/sp?

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squirreltual View Post
    bump
    I love his new album! I was flabbergasted when I heard Are Friends Electric? for the first time back in 1979. I still have the cassette I recorded that year, and to me that cassette is the only right way of enjoying that song. It sounds sooooo 1979, much better than the Replicas CD I bought many years later.

Does that answer your question?

ETA: did you see the BBC programme on "British Electronica" recently?
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I love his new album! I was flabbergasted when I heard Are Friends Electric? for the first time back in 1979. I still have the cassette I recorded that year, and to me that cassette is the only right way of enjoying that song. It sounds sooooo 1979, much better than the Replicas CD I bought many years later.

Does that answer your question?

ETA: did you see the BBC programme on "British Electronica" recently?
    So which version did you record? The newer style has taken longer to grow on me because I love the cold edge of Replicas/The Pleasure Principle so much. But it is growing... I saw him live a while ago and he still totally has it.

It doesn't answer my question but I don't care because Numan and aside from the music he is also all kinds of adorable.

I don't recall seeing the programme. May look for it on iPlayer

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by squirreltual View Post
    So which version did you record? The newer style has taken longer to grow on me because I love the cold edge of Replicas/The Pleasure Principle so much. But it is growing... I saw him live a while ago and he still totally has it.

It doesn't answer my question but I don't care because Numan and aside from the music he is also all kinds of adorable.

I don't recall seeing the programme. May look for it on iPlayer
    The BBC programme is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Wjc6QYuKI

I recorded the single version on cassette. What impressed me back in those days was not so much the "coldness" because that was already becoming sort of a trend. To me it was something totally new. The "coldness" did very well catch the social atmosphere of those days. I like the "fat" sound of Are Friends Electric, many of the other songs have a "thinner" feel to them and as such, speak more to the mind than the body. His recent albums have more power to them, soundwise speaking, I like that even better, it's body and soul. My favorite version is the one on Replicas Live from 2009. One could dance to that version too (at least if you were born into my generation)!
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

What his type

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Gary Numan - INFJ(?)

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yeah he could be INFj. I'm getting Ixxj vibes, but I'm still unsure.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I typed him as IEE a long time ago, and have not really reflected further on the matter since. I know at least one other forum member types/typed him as ILI, although I won't say in writing who this was, in case they've changed their mind or in case it was a fluid typing!

TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

He has the same eyes as i do.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

SEE-Fi sx/sp, probably 3w4.

TIM
    LSI-C™
    Mentioned
    241 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ILI from VI alone. Has those melancholy, leaky, eyes full of wisdom. His expression seems to convey patience and coldness.

From his quotes in the OP, as well as a recent video I posted of him, ILI seems to fit.

His music is very gamma, too.
    Last edited by WVBRY; 09-07-2018 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw him live last year, after the release of his latest album Savage, which I bought on cassette. It was an awesome concert, very theatrical. Also followed him on facebook for a while.

IMHO, he lacks the 'schizoidness' common to ILIs (by that I do not mean they are schizoids, but rather have this unexpressive, almost relaxed vibe about them). There is a certain nervousness in him, a tension and a sensitivity which I think more common to alpha and delta intuitives.

When his latest album entered the UK charts at #2, he posted a message on FB that he was so overwhelmed by it that he cried. He hadn't been that high in the charts for ages and never expected to get back to his old level of popularity again, despite all his hard work. He was so grateful about it. It was such an adorable confession, that I got a teary eye myself. More in general, he is quite emotionally expressive in his FB posts, a lot of that goes into his affections for other people, and it seems very sincere, not the precooked blabla that you read in many other artists media communications. All 'n' all I'd say EII, but I'm not sure.

His music indeed is very gamma to me.