Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Gary Numan

  1. #1
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Gary Numan










    quotes:

    Song-writing is therapy for me. I'm a very moody person, very difficult to live with. There's a lot going on and a lot of contradictions. My life is always one step away from disaster.

    I was a loner as a child and happiest at home, launching toy rockets and aeroplanes. When I started causing trouble in my third year at grammar school, Mum was really surprised. My parents sent me to a child psychologist, who suggested I might have Asperger's syndrome. .. I'm hopeless at small talk and have a problem making eye contact.

    I think if you are creative then it's an unstoppable thing. It just keeps coming throughout your entire life.

    Any time anyone says anything nice about me, whether it's Lady Gaga or your neighbor, it's a nice feeling, I'm very grateful for it. It's very helpful for your career. Every time someone says something complimentary it introduces you to their audience. It gives you credibility.

    I have always been far more interested in sound than technique, and how sounds work together, how they can be layered. I think electronic music, in its infancy anyway, allowed us to create music in a way that hadn't really been possible before. It created a new kind of musician.

    It seems no matter what you say and how politically correctly and carefully you say it, you offend someone. Or at least I always do.

    I am very old-fashioned about marriage. It is for life and I mean it. I always knew that when I met the right girl, the life I had before - being single, in a band, girls everywhere - would be over.

    I sometimes wonder if I might be a bit of a disappointment to people, because they are expecting all these '80s hits and what they get is a dark industrial wall of noise.

    I genuinely don't know how many albums I'm going to sell when the new album comes out, because I honestly don't know how many fans I've actually got at the moment.

    I've always considered myself to be fiercely patriotic. I love Britain - its history and the down-to-earth attitude people have.

    I got involved in music because I love everything about it, but now I'm in it you see the other side and it isn't much fun. Not as glamorous and enjoyable as you imagine.



    -+- EII

    He says he's autistic, and he's right. He's a Reactive, and all Reactives are autistic.
    Last edited by silke; 02-24-2016 at 08:20 AM. Reason: updated links

  2. #2
    Creepy-male

    Default

    I resent that. I think I was diagnosed with Aspergers simply because being Fe base and Fi ignoring is a Bad Thing.

    Also, what does +++ make me?

  3. #3
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    I resent that. I think I was diagnosed with Aspergers simply because being Fe base and Fi ignoring is a Bad Thing.
    It's actually just a bad thing for Gammas.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    Also, what does +++ make me?
    I don't really see which autistic traits +++ ESE's have.

  4. #4
    Creepy-male

    Default

    We're only autistic around Serious quadras.

    But I meant reactive/whatever for +++. Which am I?

    EDIT

    Being a sexual Seven means:

    I have a good imagination (I'm autistic)
    I actually feel emotions (I'm irritable (I'm autistic))
    I don't care about relations with a broader group (I have poor social skills (I'm autistic))
    I really enjoy perfecting my understanding of things (I'm autistic) (though, this actually comes from being an ESE as well)
    I talk a lot (I'm autistic)
    I have too much energy to sleep (I'm autistic)

    Ultimate conclusion: Mercurial ESEs all have Aspergers. Especially if we have three-digit IQs.
    Last edited by male; 03-22-2009 at 12:43 AM.

  5. #5
    machintruc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,252
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    We're only autistic around Serious quadras.

    But I meant reactive/whatever for +++. Which am I?
    You're an Optimistic type. S+ types (2-7-9ers) are optimistic, empathetic and friendly.

  6. #6
    Creepy-male

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by machintruc View Post
    S+ types (2-7-9ers) are optimistic, empathetic and friendly.
    Oh good, so I have Williams syndrome too.

    Awesome.

    Individuals with Williams syndrome are highly verbal and sociable, but lack common sense and typically have inhibited intelligence. They also tend to demonstrate a love of music.

    Patients have been described to have a "Cocktail Party" type personality.

  7. #7
    squirreltual's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLI 9 sp/sx
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    bump



    so/sp?

  8. #8
    Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,782
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirreltual View Post
    bump
    I love his new album! I was flabbergasted when I heard Are Friends Electric? for the first time back in 1979. I still have the cassette I recorded that year, and to me that cassette is the only right way of enjoying that song. It sounds sooooo 1979, much better than the Replicas CD I bought many years later.

    Does that answer your question?

    ETA: did you see the BBC programme on "British Electronica" recently?
    The future of Socionics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Many black Americans are SEE type.

  9. #9
    squirreltual's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLI 9 sp/sx
    Posts
    809
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    I love his new album! I was flabbergasted when I heard Are Friends Electric? for the first time back in 1979. I still have the cassette I recorded that year, and to me that cassette is the only right way of enjoying that song. It sounds sooooo 1979, much better than the Replicas CD I bought many years later.

    Does that answer your question?

    ETA: did you see the BBC programme on "British Electronica" recently?
    So which version did you record? The newer style has taken longer to grow on me because I love the cold edge of Replicas/The Pleasure Principle so much. But it is growing... I saw him live a while ago and he still totally has it.

    It doesn't answer my question but I don't care because Numan and aside from the music he is also all kinds of adorable.

    I don't recall seeing the programme. May look for it on iPlayer

  10. #10
    Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,782
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squirreltual View Post
    So which version did you record? The newer style has taken longer to grow on me because I love the cold edge of Replicas/The Pleasure Principle so much. But it is growing... I saw him live a while ago and he still totally has it.

    It doesn't answer my question but I don't care because Numan and aside from the music he is also all kinds of adorable.

    I don't recall seeing the programme. May look for it on iPlayer
    The BBC programme is here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69Wjc6QYuKI

    I recorded the single version on cassette. What impressed me back in those days was not so much the "coldness" because that was already becoming sort of a trend. To me it was something totally new. The "coldness" did very well catch the social atmosphere of those days. I like the "fat" sound of Are Friends Electric, many of the other songs have a "thinner" feel to them and as such, speak more to the mind than the body. His recent albums have more power to them, soundwise speaking, I like that even better, it's body and soul. My favorite version is the one on Replicas Live from 2009. One could dance to that version too (at least if you were born into my generation)!
    The future of Socionics:
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Many black Americans are SEE type.

  11. #11
    Anglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lithuania
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Posts
    1,354
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    What his type

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,048
    Mentioned
    381 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Gary Numan - INFJ(?)
    Types examples: video bloggers, actors

  13. #13
    Anglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lithuania
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Posts
    1,354
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah he could be INFj. I'm getting Ixxj vibes, but I'm still unsure.

  14. #14
    Landlord of the Dog and Duck Subteigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    TIM
    EII-Ne Sp/So
    Posts
    14,931
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I typed him as IEE a long time ago, and have not really reflected further on the matter since. I know at least one other forum member types/typed him as ILI, although I won't say in writing who this was, in case they've changed their mind or in case it was a fluid typing!
    EII-Ne
    5w4 or 1w9 Sp/So

  15. #15
    Anglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lithuania
    TIM
    LIE-Ni 7w8 So/Sp
    Posts
    1,354
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    He has the same eyes as i do.

  16. #16
    silke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    TIM
    Ni-IEI sx/sp
    Posts
    3,777
    Mentioned
    317 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

    Default

    SEE-Fi sx/sp, probably 3w4.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •