Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: New book related to socionics

  1. #1
    Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Former USSR (global nomad)
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    2,050
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default New book related to socionics

    Amazon.com: Principles of Typology: Aleksey Bashtavenko: Books

    This one looks pretty good -- no hype at all, just boring mental stuff, and it's by a Russian author (pretty sure, judging by the name and the dismal cover) who may well be familiar with socionics. Those who have bought one or both of the two books on socionics currently available in English might find this one interesting.
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

  2. #2
    Waddlesworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I bought this book. Big mistake.

    It is written by a neurotic, late to post-adolescent American. It is poorly written. It is the opposite of everything it claims to be. I think that the author's name is a pen-name.

    There are no references, there is very little systematic thinking. It reads like a run-on stream of unconsciousness.

    I have the book. If anyone wants it I'll send it to them so long as they pay the shipping and handling. It serves no purpose for me.
    Last edited by Waddlesworth; 03-21-2009 at 05:42 PM.

  3. #3
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah, I'll pay for P+P, Waddlesworth. How much?

  4. #4
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    By the way, if anyone wants this book, I'd be happy to do the same as what Waddlesworth is proposing.

  5. #5
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waddlesworth View Post
    I bought this book. Big mistake.

    It is written by a neurotic, late to post-adolescent American. It is poorly written. It is the opposite of everything it claims to be. I think that the author's name is a pen-name.

    There are no references, there is very little systematic thinking. It reads like a run-on stream of unconsciousness.

    I have the book. If anyone wants it I'll send it to them so long as they pay the shipping and handling. It serves no purpose for me.
    Have you read more books on typology, how does this one compares to those?

    What's the best book you've read, and what's the worst?

    I'm a fanatical reader, therefor my interest...

  6. #6
    Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Former USSR (global nomad)
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    2,050
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waddlesworth View Post
    I bought this book. Big mistake.

    It is written by a neurotic, late to post-adolescent American. It is poorly written. It is the opposite of everything it claims to be. I think that the author's name is a pen-name.

    There are no references, there is very little systematic thinking. It reads like a run-on stream of unconsciousness.

    I have the book. If anyone wants it I'll send it to them so long as they pay the shipping and handling. It serves no purpose for me.
    Wow, that's shocking. How did they get the decent reviews on Amazon? Hm...
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

  7. #7
    Waddlesworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Yeah, I'll pay for P+P, Waddlesworth. How much?
    You are in England and I am in the USA, so it will cost a bit more.
    I'd say $14 American, but you can send me it in pounds if you want. A silly drawing or short story by you would also be acceptable.
    Interested?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    By the way, if anyone wants this book, I'd be happy to do the same as what Waddlesworth is proposing.
    I'd say that we can do a trade, but then I'd just be exchanging one waste-of-space for another.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    Have you read more books on typology, how does this one compares to those?
    I haven't read much on typology. A good book on typology would describe how type and functions are measured. It would also attempt to validate the theory on psychological types and functions. Very few books do this.

    The closest to an analysis of psychological functions(other than Jung's Psychological Types) is Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. It is very heavy reading but it is a major influence in the development of Jung's ideas on psychological functions. If you are interested in very concise and analytical micro-details then I'd suggest Kant.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    What's the best book you've read, and what's the worst?
    So far the most interesting book that I have read is "The Doomed Aryan Race" by Samael Aun Weor. It is a Gnostic text.

    Currently I am reading "A New Model of the Universe" by P.D. Ouspensky. I can tell that it is going to be one of my favorites.

    The worst book that I have ever read is "Principles of Typology" by Aleksey Bashtavenko.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno
    I'm a fanatical reader, therefor my interest...
    I have recently found out that reading is more fun and rewarding than going out and drinking. I wish I had learned that earlier.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Wow, that's shocking. How did they get the decent reviews on Amazon? Hm...
    I think you and I both guessed it. Written by Aleksey himself.

  8. #8
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waddlesworth View Post
    Currently I am reading "A New Model of the Universe" by P.D. Ouspensky. I can tell that it is going to be one of my favorites.
    oke good to hear. I'll write that one down.

    But are there any good books on typology that you've read?

  9. #9
    Waddlesworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    But are there any good books on typology that you've read?
    No, nothing really very good that is specifically about typology. That is why I thought Principles of Typology might be worth buying. It is advertised as concise and rigorous, but it is not as it is described.

  10. #10
    Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Former USSR (global nomad)
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    2,050
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    oke good to hear. I'll write that one down.

    But are there any good books on typology that you've read?
    Ouspensky's books have nothing to do with typology, but are indeed interesting. I've read, "In Search of the Miraculous."
    It is easier for the eye of a camel to pass through a rich man than for a needle to enter the kingdom of heaven.

  11. #11
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waddlesworth View Post
    You are in England and I am in the USA, so it will cost a bit more.
    I'd say $14 American, but you can send me it in pounds if you want. A silly drawing or short story by you would also be acceptable.
    Interested?
    Yeah, definitely. I'll PM my address.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    But are there any good books on typology that you've read?
    Shit loads. What about R&H, Palmer, Keirsey, Myers-Briggs?

  12. #12
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Yeah, definitely. I'll PM my address.
    pussy... post your address on the forum for all of us to see!

  13. #13
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    I've recently ordered, "How to Find Yourself and Your Best Match. Socionics. The Modern Approach to Psychological Types" from Amazon. The author seems open to further discussions as well.

    I'd be curious to read, "Principles of Typology". It's interesting to read material from someone else's perspective. I typically find some nugget of information to add to the knowledge base, so, it's not a complete waste.
    Your last line is also applicable to 'how to find yourself and your best match'

  14. #14
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    Shit loads. What about R&H, Palmer, Keirsey, Myers-Briggs?
    I disliked the Keirsey2 and Gifts Differing was also much less then I had expected. There are good ones though.

  15. #15
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionicgoat View Post
    pussy... post your address on the forum for all of us to see!
    For you, bg, anything:

    123 FUCK YOU!
    ENGERLAAAAAAAAAAAAAND

    Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    I've recently ordered, "How to Find Yourself and Your Best Match. Socionics. The Modern Approach to Psychological Types" from Amazon. The author seems open to further discussions as well.
    Yep, that's the book I own. It's average. You'd probably benefit more from reading Wikisocion.

  16. #16
    Creepy-bg

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    For you, bg, anything:

    123 FUCK YOU!
    ENGERLAAAAAAAAAAAAAND

  17. #17
    Jarno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    TIM
    ILI-Te
    Posts
    5,375
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    I've quickly read through the book. I agree there wasn't much substance. I was quite annoyed by the fact that almost every section had an invitation to email the authors to discuss further - 'infomercial' style. Also, I quickly read through the list of celebrity types. I was quite surprised to see some of the typings. Regardless, I'll take some time over the next several weeks to test out their VI techniques. After reading the book, I spent some time during a social engagement observing facial features, necks and hands. The positioning of the neck/head to determine conceptual vs perceptual is interesting. I'm curious to know the foundation of their VI system. Are these traditional socionics VI techniques?
    I also own that book. It seems that their are different vi methods depending on what part of russia you live, socionics seems to have its own pecularities. They eyes description is traditional, even jung used them. The neck was new to me. Usually VI is looking at someone and seeing a resemblance, at least, that's the most used technique on this forum and I guess in general.

  18. #18
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    I've quickly read through the book. I agree there wasn't much substance. I was quite annoyed by the fact that almost every section had an invitation to email the authors to discuss further - 'infomercial' style. Also, I quickly read through the list of celebrity types. I was quite surprised to see some of the typings. Regardless, I'll take some time over the next several weeks to test out their VI techniques. After reading the book, I spent some time during a social engagement observing facial features, necks and hands. The positioning of the neck/head to determine conceptual vs perceptual is interesting. I'm curious to know the foundation of their VI system. Are these traditional socionics VI techniques?
    Yeah I love the way they basically say "YOU CAN TELL SOMEONE'S TYPE JUST BY LOOKING AT THEM!!!!!! ONCE YOU LEARN OUR VI THAT'S ALL YOU NEED - YOU WILL NEVER NOT SEE SOCIONICS TYPES AGAIN!!!!!!!"

  19. #19
    Snomunegot munenori2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Posts
    7,739
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    I disliked the Keirsey2 and Gifts Differing was also much less then I had expected. There are good ones though.
    Yeah, I read that one and I didn't find it interesting or informative. Especially the parts where she was throwing around random statistics about the number of each type/percentage of each in all these different fields, schools, etc. I wanted to read more about types and the theories and reasons behind them, but it totally disappointed.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

  20. #20
    Haikus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    MI
    TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Posts
    10,060
    Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    I just read the preview pages for this book. It doesn't look all that bad actually, and I kinda want it but then I don't. Hmm.

    There is a tendency to believe everything you read, if it sounds interesting enough though. And I'm still not sure what this stuff actually does for people- or if it just locks us all in a kind of 'slow suicide' with our relationships.

  21. #21
    ...been here longer than the fucking monarchy Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    UK
    TIM
    SLE-Ti
    Posts
    9,169
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    Oh yes, the statements in bold, upper case - WE THINK IT IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEED TO KNOW. I could have done without the exclamation marks as well.
    Yes, I found it to be highly unprofessional. I don't know if the use of the exclamation marks to which you refer was in conjunction with that sentence, or in conjunction with another, but I was immediately put off by it. I also didn't like their use Curlz MT (I think it was the subheading on the title page).

    Quote Originally Posted by BulletsAndDoves View Post
    I just read the preview pages for this book. It doesn't look all that bad actually, and I kinda want it but then I don't. Hmm.
    If you're curious, perhaps you should buy it. I was curious, and I bought it. I was unsatisfied, simply because I know socionics too much for any of the relevant information in there to be new to me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •