Thread: Hypothesis regarding activity vs. duality relations

Creepy-male

Default Hypothesis regarding activity vs. duality relations

Hypothesis:
    • Relations of Activity only engage the mobilizing and base functions.
    • Relations of Duality engage the base and DS functions, while the HA and creative functions co-operate.

Possibly because the DS is too weak to engage the other's creative before the HA and base zero in on eachother.

At least, by interactions with ILEs in school, this works. We definitely do interact (perhaps only because it's short-term?) purely on a Ne and Fe basis. It's the truest definition of "crazy fun = crazy + fun".

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience with Activity is different than that hypothesis.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under Model T, in an Activity relationship, one person's base disables the other's agenda... whereas the creative and suggestive simply miss each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    My experience with Activity is different than that hypothesis.
    What is your experience with Activity? Specifically, who uses which functions?

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys might also want to think about temperament in these relationships.

ESFj's come across as a little too pushy or driven. They're too task oriented... I'd rather be with someone cooler. There's a certain "dreaminess" IP's have about them that I enjoy.
    The end is nigh

Creepy-male

The point is that the creative functions aren't being engaged at all, and thus not being communicated to the Activator's DS.

It's like, you jump into a room with an ILE, and suddenly you're having a duel with bullet time and air guns and laughing your asses off. Pure Fe and Ne, with no chance for Si or Ti to get air time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't fully understand this, as I forget what the mobilizing function is.

However, I do think I've gotten to a deeper relationship w/ an activity partner. I really like Te and Si in whatever form it's in (activity or dual).

However, I do feel like ESTjs want me to wear cardigans. And ISTps probably don't care if I brush my hair. So I prefer the dual of course, as I only want to wear cardigans every now and again.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    What is your experience with Activity? Specifically, who uses which functions?
    My experience contradicts the hypothesis. The hypothesis sais that your DS function is not being used/hit.

I've mistaken my Activator once for my Dual since I got the same 'wow this is great/surprising' vybes that I usually get from my Dual. This should mean that I was clearly experiencing Dual Searching hits, if that's the right way to say it. (It's the mobilizing function that just makes me feel friends, like it does with my Mirage).

I don't know if I explained it clearly enough, but from my own viewpoint, I'm pretty convinced the Dual Searching function is being tickled by your Activator.

What are your experiences?

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    My experience contradicts the hypothesis. The hypothesis sais that your DS function is not being used/hit.

I've mistaken my Activator once for my Dual since I got the same 'wow this is great/surprising' vybes that I usually get from my Dual. This should mean that I was clearly experiencing Dual Searching hits, if that's the right way to say it. (It's the mobilizing function that just makes me feel friends, like it does with my Mirage).

I don't know if I explained it clearly enough, but from my own viewpoint, I'm pretty convinced the Dual Searching function is being tickled by your Activator.

What are your experiences?
    you get similar vibes from both, your dual-seeking functions are 'triggered' by the presence of both. Whether you get distinctly better along with Dual depends on how much you are in need of a total complement in your life, so to speak - it's more a matter of rhythm, worldview, and lifestyle than of IM. The more used to your super-id functions you are, the better you can 'accommodate' both ...you don't experience a hard need for a dual who's supposed to take over activities that correspond to your weaker function. And a strong accepting subtype will feel more comfortable with Dual.

TIM
    ENTj (3w4 sx/sp)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been in 2 relationships of Activity (I'm LIE, they were SEE) and yes I agree to a certain extent. At first you get the sense that they have everything you want and need. You KNOW they have it because they give you snippets of it here and there. You believe that once they get to know you better, they'll see that you really need all-DS, all the time. And if they really loved you, they'd give you more...because when they do give it to you, it's f'in amazing and you have a black hole and can never have too much! However...the concept of intermittent reinforcement or "gambling addiction" comes into effect: where the hope that you'll get a DS hit keeps you coming back for more and intensifies interactions with its unpredictability. It becomes a game knowing they'll always come back because they're addicted, and it's an even match of addiction and its messed up. There can be resentment when they give you pure Dominant function...that's when you realize "this is not gonna work because this is who they are and I love them and want them to be able to be them, not who I want". Unfortunately I haven't experienced duality as a comparison, but I would imagine (and hope) that an ESI would be more than happy to give constant Fi without much effort, and I could then relax knowing it will always be there and I wouldn't have to jones for it. Obviously it's different and intensified when it's romantic...I imagine hanging out/partying with a female ESFp would be just

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It's just going to be me and my LSE dad for the next couple of weeks since my mom's on vacation, so that might be an opportunity to passively observe how the activity dynamic pans out if I care. What the OP describes might hold true in our case. Not much really goes on, and a lot of that's on me since I'm not being very communicative and have mixed-feelings towards him, warranted or not, but things are civil. I check up with him to see how certain things are going in our apartment, since the sink's messed up and we can't get any real help with that until tomorrow apparently. I ask him for quick advice on certain house chores that I'm not used to and do them, and let him know what I'm willing to do since he has a habit of wanting to do everything including things that I've always done. So it's all just been direct communication and boring 'productive' things when it comes up which isn't a big deal. I don't think it has to be much more than that for the time-being.
    Last edited by suedehead; 07-14-2014 at 12:10 AM.

TIM
    ENTj (3w4 sx/sp)
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Suedehead: it should actually be very productive, with all that Te Ne and Si! I think Activity would be wonderful if you remove the romantic premise from the equation! It's productive energy in that case, as opposed to adding gasoline to an emotional fire

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my feeling is that with activity, you still get a mix of the information that you can't really pick up yourself that you like

i consider that a pretty good information exchange

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

activity is like when you're playing catch and sometimes you're not sure what is being thrown at you and how fast, but you have a good enough idea that if you go for the catch you will most likely catch it. It has the thrill of making that risky stuntman catch.

not sure how duality can be described through this metaphor, maybe you make the catch every time? That seems too simple though.

for conflictors it's easy, you drop the ball on each other ALL THE FUCKING TIME

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blood moon View Post
    not sure how duality can be described through this metaphor, maybe you make the catch every time? That seems too simple though.
    Underhanded tossing of teddybears.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Activity engages my Ne. I help sli and lse make and narrow in or streamline their goals for the future anch choose the most effective to succeed path. My duals tend to be indecisive and talk in circles or desires about what they want that don't often match reality.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blood moon View Post
    activity is like when you're playing catch and sometimes you're not sure what is being thrown at you and how fast, but you have a good enough idea that if you go for the catch you will most likely catch it. It has the thrill of making that risky stuntman catch.

for conflictors it's easy, you drop the ball on each other ALL THE FUCKING TIME
    With conflictors one of you is playing basketball, and the other is playing baseball. And you're both blind.

TIM
    SLI-Si(H)5w6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    I don't fully understand this, as I forget what the mobilizing function is.

However, I do think I've gotten to a deeper relationship w/ an activity partner. I really like Te and Si in whatever form it's in (activity or dual).

However, I do feel like ESTjs want me to wear cardigans. And ISTps probably don't care if I brush my hair. So I prefer the dual of course, as I only want to wear cardigans every now and again.
    Cardigans? Lol.

As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.
    - Stellaris

TIM
    EIE 4w5
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Activity is SUPER endearing. <3 <3
    But I visualize it as staying in orbit with a person. Mmm.. hopefully I can explain this the way I am picturing it. I feel as if I attach to them very easily and become energized and elated...we are like two firecrackers that erupt when together. (in a good way!) but then we can slowly back away from eachother with no feelings hurt, not speak for weeks, and be totally fine. It's not as painful to be away... But with my dual, it's painful to be away. There's an underlying energy that is more significant..

If my activity partner (ESTP) walked into the room, I would immediately perk up and feel excitable. I feel like I come more alive in their presence. BUT...if my dual walked in right after, I'd be comfortably immersed in them, as if sinking into their body. I would feel them deeply.. (aww that's so cute bahahah...shhh...)

My activity partner is like a spark, awe-inspiring and stimulating. My dual diffuses into the air like smoke, and feels deep & tranquil.
    Ew. Hope that doesn't sound too stereo-typical.

Oh boy, such ENFJ cuteness. It makes me wanna puke. Peace Mayne.
    Last edited by SpreeFirit; 09-13-2014 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typos up the YING YANG

TIM
    SLE-H 8w9 SX
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Activity has a "friends with benefits vibe"...
    [Today 07:57 AM] Raver: Life is a ride that lasts very long, but still a ride. It is a dream that we have yet to awaken from.

It's hard to find a love through every shade of grey.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find SEEs much more activating, but I tend to start up relationships with ESIs much more easily. It seems to be a matter of contact. I run into ESIs much more frequently than SEEs and I have more middle ground with them in the first place.