Thread: Manifestion of weak Si? Or am I just vain?

The man with the plan MasterfulMischief's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Manifestion of weak Si? Or am I just vain?

Whenever their is a mirror/reflective surface I have a very strong urge to look into it to see my reflection. It is almost impossible for me to resist or if I do it annoys me.

I'm thinking it may be caused by being weak in Si which means I am bad at realizing how I physically appear to others so is this some sort of compensatory behaviour for that?

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well physical appearence has little to do with type... and concern of it therefore.

I also look into mirrors alot, but that has to do with me having confidence issues i think.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchonAlarion View Post
    well physical appearence has little to do with type... and concern of it therefore.

I also look into mirrors alot, but that has to do with me having confidence issues i think.
    It's not because I think I am ugly or anything, in fact I'm sure I am at least well above average. It's more to just constantly make sure my hair isn't messed up/I don't have anything on my face or something.

I am aware physical appearance has little to do with type but concern of it isn't necessarily limited to bad looking/insecure people.

I think it would make sense as a way to avoid other people criticizing how I am appearing physically (in a "you have cake on your face" way, not in a "you are ugly" way) (Si neglecting my immediate surroundings/physical sensations) and therefore hitting my polr.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compulsive behavior? Hmm, I mentally extend cracks in nearby sidewalks and edges of nearby buildings and avoid stepping on them.

I'm of the opinion that this is just a habit, and whatever caused it in the first place is no longer why you do it.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same thing: always checking that I look alright. I don't just *know*.

But worse than that, I often forget what I look like, which increases the fascination between me and the mirror. I have the really alien experience looking at photos, because I'm not sure what to make of them. I don't 'conceptualise' myself in physical terms and I am not readily at terms with that physicality. Like, in the photo, I know that's me and yet...it's not. Argh, this stupid and somewhat ineffable.
    ()
    3w4-1w2-5w4 sx/sp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by unefille View Post
    I have the same thing: always checking that I look alright. I don't just *know*.

But worse than that, I often forget what I look like, which increases the fascination between me and the mirror. I have the really alien experience looking at photos, because I'm not sure what to make of them. I don't 'conceptualise' myself in physical terms and I am not readily at terms with that physicality. Like, in the photo, I know that's me and yet...it's not. Argh, this stupid and somewhat ineffable.
    I identify very strongly with with this. It's like the photo doesn't 100% match what you expect to see.

@brilland: Lol I guess it does qualify as a compulsion. If that is the case I wonder what would cause this in the first place.

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Compulsive behavior? Hmm, I mentally extend cracks in nearby sidewalks and edges of nearby buildings and avoid stepping on them.

I'm of the opinion that this is just a habit, and whatever caused it in the first place is no longer why you do it.
    LOL, I find that really cute.

I have some similar compulsions. Like mentally looking at someone's hair and picturing what it would look like cut at a weird length or angle but mostly if the hair just looks excessively long or just out of place I keep fixating on seeing it cut differently. Wow that sounds really weird! lol

I have others, but I think I'll stop here.
    Quote Originally Posted by unefille View Post

Me too. It's like...I don't really know what I look like so I always wonder what I look like to someone else and seeing myself in the mirror or in pictures does often surprise me. I just don't have a well-defined concept of what I look like.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterfulMischief View Post
    @brilland: Lol I guess it does qualify as a compulsion. If that is the case I wonder what would cause this in the first place.
    Exactly what unefille mentioned.

I can always call a picture of myself from memory when I need to... ? That would apply to memorizing photographs in general, I think... although remembering detail would be related to (my mental images are always sort of ghostly - like I know what's there but I can't make out the details).

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I do it compulsively to just check on myself.

And i do this thing when I'm riding in a car occasionally, where I make a mental note everytime the car passes an opening in the curtilage.
    The end is nigh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol

you guys ever do that thing where you're walking by a car and pause to look at your reflection in the window only to realize after a couple seconds there is someone in the car/behind the window? lol try playing that off all cool

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha, doesn't everyone look at their reflection? I always feel compelled to glance at mine when passing ... any sort of reflective surface, actually (it's kind of embarrassing, because I feel like I shouldn't care so much), but I'm always worried that my hair is messed up or my eye liner smudged or stupid shit like that. I always attributed it to vanity. It really bothers me when a room has too many mirrors in it (I prefer none) because the constant inner struggle over looking vs. not looking is really irritating.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

TIM
    Mumpsimus
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    Haha, doesn't everyone look at their reflection? I always feel compelled to glance at mine when passing ... any sort of reflective surface, actually (it's kind of embarrassing, because I feel like I shouldn't care so much), but I'm always worried that my hair is messed up or my eye liner smudged or stupid shit like that. I always attributed it to vanity. It really bothers me when a room has too many mirrors in it (I prefer none) because the constant inner struggle over looking vs. not looking is really irritating.
    Yeah definitely. If there is a mirror or reflective surface nearby, I am always drawn to looking in it. The problem is that it's so automatic for me that most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it, so I can be sitting there talking to someone while staring at my reflection as I speak. Or dancing next to a window while looking at myself dancing the entire time and since I'm not really conscious I'm doing it, I'm pretty obvious about it. Wow I can really be super oblivious sometimes (most of the time)! To my embarrassment, it has been called to my attention before, several times.

I don't think I do it out of vanity or even to make sure everything is in place. It's more of a curiosity thing for me. Or just like any other head in the clouds thing. Dunno.

TIM
    ISXj
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sirena View Post
    Yeah definitely. If there is a mirror or reflective surface nearby, I am always drawn to looking in it. The problem is that it's so automatic for me that most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it, so I can be sitting there talking to someone while staring at my reflection as I speak. Or dancing next to a window while looking at myself dancing the entire time and since I'm not really conscious I'm doing it, I'm pretty obvious about it. Wow I can really be super oblivious sometimes (most of the time)! To my embarrassment, it has been called to my attention before, several times.

I don't think I do it out of vanity or even to make sure everything is in place. It's more of a curiosity thing for me. Or just like any other head in the clouds thing. Dunno.
    Interesting. I, on the other hand, am extremely aware when I am doing it because I would feel guilty if someone caught me looking at my reflection. Like it's not socially acceptable to get caught staring at yourself out in public, lol. I shouldn't care, though. I mean, what the hell, we all do it.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MasterfulMischief View Post
    I'm thinking it may be caused by being weak in Si which means I am bad at realizing how I physically appear to others so is this some sort of compensatory behaviour for that?
    This is related to valued Se a little more than weak Si. For a valued Si and weak Se, for me at least, feeling good internally takes precedence over what I actually look like. Though in both cases, if one is satisfied, the other comes naturally most of the time.

And what unefille mentioned is almost exactly what an INTp has said to me and I think it is generally true for Ni-types.

For myself, I don't feel the need to look at a mirror for long or all the time but on occasion I do check. When I do, though, I don't feel alienated by the object that is reflecting back but quite often I am surprised when my outward appearance does not match my internal physical feeling. That is, there are times I feel great on the inside, energetic and so on but when I look in the mirror I look tired and sleepy. Other times, I feel terrible and end up looking good.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Neither. You just like to look at yourself in the mirror. I don't think it means anything deeper than that lol.

The convenience of technology has made human beings overanalyze waaay too much.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    Interesting. I, on the other hand, am extremely aware when I am doing it because I would feel guilty if someone caught me looking at my reflection. Like it's not socially acceptable to get caught staring at yourself out in public, lol. I shouldn't care, though. I mean, what the hell, we all do it.
    Yeah, pretty much everything calenwen wrote in this thread holds true for me too.
    allez cuisine!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Si polr types can be very anal and unsure about their appearance. They can often put too much effort into it, such that it seems fake or contrived. Ni ENTjs particularly, ime. They can be very concerned about appearing cool. .....
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ephemeros View Post
    doesn't "weak" include "valued", too? i refer some times to all "Super*" functions as weak. i hope that is correct.
    i agree this relates to valued Se, especially because MasterfulMischief is an LIE. Se deals with image and impression on the others around.
    Well, yes. I should make what I mean clear:

Weak = Weak + Unvalued
    Valued = Weak + Valued

Sorry about the confusion, I know it's a fuzzy definition.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

Creepy-Pied Piper

Removed at User Request

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the opinions guys.