The three concentric clock faces are three cycles (from inside to outside):
- Feeling, Sensing, Thinking, Intuition
- EP, EJ, IP, IJ
- Base, Sending, Seeking, Receiving
Each clock face rotates independently of the other two. What determines type is the relationship between the clock faces. For example, my type has Base, IJ and T aligned - signifying Democratic dominant. So I could have used two clock faces with labels on the outside rim, but I really wanted to make an obscure reference to a movie I liked.
OK, why does IJ-T represent Alpha Ti and not Beta Ti? Because Beta Ti is a Sensing function. An ISTj would have Base, IJ and Sensing aligned. All Aristocratic elements are switched with the element they are blocked with, as follows:
- Beta Fe is EJ-Intuition
- Beta Ni is IP-Feeling
- Beta Se is EP-Thinking
- Beta Ti is IJ-Sensing
- Delta Te is EJ-Sensing
- Delta Si is IP-Thinking
- Delta Ne is EP-Feeling
- Delta Fi is IJ-Intuition
What do these designations mean?
- Feeling is that which determines purpose.
- Sensing is that which creates certainty.
- Thinking is that which determines truth.
- Intuition is that which creates uncertainty.
- EP is that which recognizes specific things.
- EJ is that which generalizes many things into an integrated whole
- IP is that which recognizes the functioning of the whole
- IJ is that which divides up the whole to categorize the parts.
Note that the Creative/HA distinction is gone - one is the Sending function and the other is the Receiving function, but which is which depends on Rational/Irrational.
If we limit the clock faces to 90-degree rotations (and I'm not ready yet to consider the implications if we don't), we get a total of 16 types, each of which can be described in 4 different ways, for a total of 64 notations with slightly different meanings.
For example, all of the following notations refer to my type:
- IJ-T Base
- EP-N Sending
- EJ-F Seeking
- IP-S Receiving