Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: ISTp-ENFp duality, or why didn't my husband get angry at me?

  1. #1
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default ISTp-ENFp duality, or why didn't my husband get angry at me?

    Because I would have gotten VERY angry at myself.

    Yesterday was a stressful day for me. My hormones are still all over the place from the birth, and my older daughter has been sick and I've been stressed out by that. Plus, even easy babies like my baby are a lot of work. And on top of that, my husband's truck is broken and of COURSE he can't pay someone else to fix it, so it won't get fixed till this weekend and he's taking my van to work, leaving me trapped. Not that I'd go anywhere with a sick kid and a newborn, but just knowing the van is there and I could go if I wanted to makes me feel good. Not having that possibility available is a bad thing.

    So, in this situation, my husband decided to go to the bar with friends after work. Usually, I don't care in the slightest. Go to the bar and chat with your friends, no problem. He told me he'd only be there an hour or less because of everything that was going on at home, but my husband is never home when he says he'll be home. Usually, I just translate this - he says he'll be out less than an hour, that means he'll be back around an hour and a half to two hours. I can usually figure out about when he'll be home and I usually work with that and don't really pay attention to what time he says he'll be home. But this time I freaked. I called him after and hour and yelled at him and ended up throwing the phone across the room I was so angry. I screamed at him and swore and was all around not a nice person.

    One would think he would respond to my tantrum by being angry, right? I would get angry if someone threw a phone and screamed at me. But NO. He came home and brought a treat for me, and was really sweet and said he'd take care of the girls and I could take a nice bath to relax, and that tonight we'd go out to my favorite restaurant if it the older one is feeling better and the baby is up to it, or else he'll go pick up food from them, even though they aren't a place that generally does take-out. And the older one was OK this morning and he told me to sleep in and he'd get her ready for school, which he did.

    THIS is why we don't fight. Because one of us (usually me) will get angry, and the other one doesn't get angry back. It isn't because the starting point of fights don't happen - it's because they don't really develop into fights because they're always one-sided. And it isn't ALWAYS me who gets angry - sometimes he'll get upset about something. But I'm the moodiest so I have to admit that it is usually me.

    I'm wonder about what's going on functionally here. I know he fed me Si after Si thing, but I meant more like what caused me to get so upset in the first place. Other than not having my car, which was an Ne-limiting thing.

    The two things I don't get:

    1. Why wouldn't his response work to make anyone of any type happy?

    2. Why doesn't he get angry at me when I flip out like that?
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  2. #2
    Creepy-Cyclops

    Default

    I think you should ask your husband the answer to the second one.

  3. #3
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    He says he thinks it's funny. But that isn't my question. I'm wondering if there's an explanation within Socionics.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,834
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This really made me smile. I think that's perfect he doesn't get angry back.

    It sounds like your stress built up all day being trapped at home...I get like that too. Especially if your kid is sick, I might be thinking "oh no! What if I have to go to the doctor and can't because I have no transportation..." and then my mind would perhaps spiral out of control or something.

    I'm also guilty of throwing phones...

    I think his response was so nice!! sometimes I forget how important Si is. But that's exactly what I'd want in that situation too. How sweet! Glad you guys worked it out and it's always so nice to hear about duality. You should post more slackermom!

    And it's hard for me to say why that response wouldn't make anyone happy, because that'd work for me!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    Because I would have gotten VERY angry at myself.

    Yesterday was a stressful day for me. My hormones are still all over the place from the birth, and my older daughter has been sick and I've been stressed out by that. Plus, even easy babies like my baby are a lot of work. And on top of that, my husband's truck is broken and of COURSE he can't pay someone else to fix it, so it won't get fixed till this weekend and he's taking my van to work, leaving me trapped. Not that I'd go anywhere with a sick kid and a newborn, but just knowing the van is there and I could go if I wanted to makes me feel good. Not having that possibility available is a bad thing.

    So, in this situation, my husband decided to go to the bar with friends after work. Usually, I don't care in the slightest. Go to the bar and chat with your friends, no problem. He told me he'd only be there an hour or less because of everything that was going on at home, but my husband is never home when he says he'll be home. Usually, I just translate this - he says he'll be out less than an hour, that means he'll be back around an hour and a half to two hours. I can usually figure out about when he'll be home and I usually work with that and don't really pay attention to what time he says he'll be home. But this time I freaked. I called him after and hour and yelled at him and ended up throwing the phone across the room I was so angry. I screamed at him and swore and was all around not a nice person.

    One would think he would respond to my tantrum by being angry, right? I would get angry if someone threw a phone and screamed at me. But NO. He came home and brought a treat for me, and was really sweet and said he'd take care of the girls and I could take a nice bath to relax, and that tonight we'd go out to my favorite restaurant if it the older one is feeling better and the baby is up to it, or else he'll go pick up food from them, even though they aren't a place that generally does take-out. And the older one was OK this morning and he told me to sleep in and he'd get her ready for school, which he did.

    THIS is why we don't fight. Because one of us (usually me) will get angry, and the other one doesn't get angry back. It isn't because the starting point of fights don't happen - it's because they don't really develop into fights because they're always one-sided. And it isn't ALWAYS me who gets angry - sometimes he'll get upset about something. But I'm the moodiest so I have to admit that it is usually me.

    I'm wonder about what's going on functionally here. I know he fed me Si after Si thing, but I meant more like what caused me to get so upset in the first place. Other than not having my car, which was an Ne-limiting thing.

    The two things I don't get:

    1. Why wouldn't his response work to make anyone of any type happy?

    2. Why doesn't he get angry at me when I flip out like that?
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

  5. #5
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jewels View Post
    And it's hard for me to say why that response wouldn't make anyone happy, because that'd work for me!
    I'm trying to look at it from the point of view of my parents (EIE and LIE). I think they'd consider coming home late from the bar to be unforgivable, but I'm not sure. They are big on promptness. A half hour to an hour late doesn't seem like a big deal to me - I mean if he were like four hours late I'd freak in any circumstance - but my parents have been upset when he's been a half hour late in the past. Also, maybe they'd think he was trying to manipulate me by like bringing me home a treat and that kind of thing? They might not consider his behavior to be genuine and think that I was letting him "get away with" coming home late.

    Not sure.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  6. #6
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,827
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Mature people can realize when someone, especially a loved one or someone they care about, it just having a bad day - and they can sort of deal with stuff and want to make you feel better.

    I think that has a lot to do with things - and your particular take on delta Ne/Si stuff is just how it plays out here; meaning, you guys have certain ways that it is more tolerable for people to "get angry". You have more slack in some areas and other areas, because of what functions are valued or not (perhaps), and because of the people you are.





    Also, I have a feeling if you acted like that ALL THE TIME, your husband wouldn't like you nearly as much. In fact, that you acted so weird and were having a 'bad day' probably triggered his feeling of "hmm I should probably pay attention here and be nice and try to do some things to help make her feel better".

    You two, perhaps subconsciously, see that kind of interaction as a means of a signal of help or something (which perhaps fits in with Ne/Si). However, if you were using that kind of action - freaking out - to try to coerce or tempt or entice (Ni/Se) to intentionally get a desired response out of your husband, I don't think it would go over so well.


    Those are rough thoughts I had from reading this thread quickly. Let me know if you think it's the case or not.
    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  7. #7
    Éminence grise mikemex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Third Planet
    TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Posts
    1,631
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Members of any type become stressed when they are required to follow an approach that requires skills they don't have. In the other hand, they will rarely, if ever, become stressed handling problems appropriate for their skills.

    It might stress you, but mundane things such as taking care of babies are no problem for an SLI. He probably found it funny because he felt it was something in the lines of "What? That's all? I thought it was something serious...".

    SLI become stressed when they face problems they can't solve using their Si+Te. A good example of this would be a parent having a deeply depressed kid. Would you get mad if your husband shout at you, knowing that the real reason is the kid?
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

    You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

  8. #8
    calenwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    TIM
    ISXj
    Posts
    949
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    He says he thinks it's funny. But that isn't my question. I'm wondering if there's an explanation within Socionics.
    Heh, this reminds me a lot of my parents. Occasionally my mom (EII) would get really upset at my dad (LSE) about something, usually because she was stressing out about a million different unrelated things - but he would always act like it wasn't a big deal and when she asked him why he would say that he thought it was funny.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

  9. #9
    07490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    there
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    Members of any type become stressed when they are required to follow an approach that requires skills they don't have. In the other hand, they will rarely, if ever, become stressed handling problems appropriate for their skills.

    It might stress you, but mundane things such as taking care of babies are no problem for an SLI. He probably found it funny because he felt it was something in the lines of "What? That's all? I thought it was something serious...".

    SLI become stressed when they face problems they can't solve using their Si+Te. A good example of this would be a parent having a deeply depressed kid. Would you get mad if your husband shout at you, knowing that the real reason is the kid?
    I didn't read the thread but reading this is very true. We can avoid alot of problems with people if we dont require as much from them in areas they are deeoly weak on. They will happily lend you a hand if it is something that requires no effort, which thrive their ego going.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

    2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

  10. #10
    07490's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    there
    Posts
    3,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calenwen View Post
    my mom (EII)
    I thought she was EIE? you change her typing?
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

    2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

  11. #11
    calenwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    TIM
    ISXj
    Posts
    949
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    I thought she was EIE? you change her typing?
    Yeah, based (mostly) on intertype relations.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
    John Muir

  12. #12
    meatburger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    A Quazar named Northern Territory
    Posts
    2,570
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah your husband is a legend. That is the perfect response

    My wild child ISTp friend yelled at me one day for not watching where his golf shot went. It basically went straight into the sky lol. He felt the fury of 1000 valkyries that day yet he just said sorry and he calmed down and even as i was angry he just kept talking to me every now and then. It was basically impossible for me to stay angry for long.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

    "And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

  13. #13
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    One would think he would respond to my tantrum by being angry, right? I would get angry if someone threw a phone and screamed at me. But NO. He came home and brought a treat for me, and was really sweet and said he'd take care of the girls and I could take a nice bath to relax, and that tonight we'd go out to my favorite restaurant if it the older one is feeling better and the baby is up to it, or else he'll go pick up food from them, even though they aren't a place that generally does take-out. And the older one was OK this morning and he told me to sleep in and he'd get her ready for school, which he did.
    I don't have a wive, nor kids, but I know that's exactly how I would react. And that's exactly what I do when my family or friends/colleagues get angry at me for being late or taking more time than I said I would. It's not like I've forgotten my responsibilities or anything, it's just that I function by my own weird-ass schedule. And I rarely get angry back for such things, unless someone makes it into a HUGE deal and tries to humiliate me for it.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  14. #14
    Twist-Tie Spider iAnnAu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Knoxhell TN
    Posts
    987
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
    Mature people can realize when someone, especially a loved one or someone they care about, it just having a bad day - and they can sort of deal with stuff and want to make you feel better.

    I think that has a lot to do with things - and your particular take on delta Ne/Si stuff is just how it plays out here; meaning, you guys have certain ways that it is more tolerable for people to "get angry". You have more slack in some areas and other areas, because of what functions are valued or not (perhaps), and because of the people you are.

    Also, I have a feeling if you acted like that ALL THE TIME, your husband wouldn't like you nearly as much. In fact, that you acted so weird and were having a 'bad day' probably triggered his feeling of "hmm I should probably pay attention here and be nice and try to do some things to help make her feel better".

    You two, perhaps subconsciously, see that kind of interaction as a means of a signal of help or something (which perhaps fits in with Ne/Si). However, if you were using that kind of action - freaking out - to try to coerce or tempt or entice (Ni/Se) to intentionally get a desired response out of your husband, I don't think it would go over so well.

    Those are rough thoughts I had from reading this thread quickly. Let me know if you think it's the case or not.
    I agree with this (well, I don't actually have an opinion on the Ne/Si part).
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

  15. #15
    Creepy-Diana

    Default

    .

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •