Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asking/Declaring Reinin Dichotomy (Narrator/Taciturn)

TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just realized how frequently I say "Anyways... " to get back to what I was saying. I do tend to forget what I was going to say if someone gets the conversation going in another direction. Sometimes I'll remember it later and feel compelled to finish what I wanted to say, even though it is no longer relevant to the current topic at hand.
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't tell. Each time I read about the whole narrator-taciturn thing, I end up choosing the different thing. Now I'm thinking, "that's it, I'm gonna pick one and stick with it!", but I don't know which one to pick.

My questions do sound like statements, only intonation and context tells the difference. "That person was really friendly, mhh?" (in stead of "Do you agree that this person was really friendly")

"When we get home, we should probably start cleaning right away, do you agree?"

"That show is so stupid that it would be better off cancelled, right?"

Or maybe I ask things all the time because Erkki is introverted and I have to force his opinion out of him. Or maybe I just ask questions all the time. I do make statements, but they are never the final say. People can argue with them. And I do sometimes reply with "Really? Are you sure?" or "Where did you hear that?" or "Really? I must have been asleep if I didn't hear something like that!"

So which one am I?
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lytov said:
    "Taciturn - narrative" is a wrong translation, very far from the original meaning. Reinin meant something quite different: "askers" and "declarers".

Just that...now I'm not sure which one is the asker and which one is the declarer? If asker=taciturn then I might be a taciturn in the end. And Ashton would be narrator since our styles are quite different. My wife would also be narrator even though I often speak more than her. The amount of talk is not the point. It is the general style of communication.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kristiina
    I can't tell. Each time I read about the whole narrator-taciturn thing, I end up choosing the different thing. Now I'm thinking, "that's it, I'm gonna pick one and stick with it!", but I don't know which one to pick.

My questions do sound like statements, only intonation and context tells the difference. "That person was really friendly, mhh?" (in stead of "Do you agree that this person was really friendly")

"When we get home, we should probably start cleaning right away, do you agree?"

"That show is so stupid that it would be better off cancelled, right?"

Or maybe I ask things all the time because Erkki is introverted and I have to force his opinion out of him. Or maybe I just ask questions all the time. I do make statements, but they are never the final say. People can argue with them. And I do sometimes reply with "Really? Are you sure?" or "Where did you hear that?" or "Really? I must have been asleep if I didn't hear something like that!"

So which one am I?
    From that very small sampling, you sound more Taciturn than Narrator.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    So which one am I?
    Heh. Your conversation seems like a textbook example of asker-declarer or taciturn-narrator pattern

So could this be generalized so that the people asking the best questions in this forum are taciturns and people giving the best answers are narrators? Isn't that how it is supposed to work? Asker-Declarer. Question-Answer. I'm not sure which one I am though

Creepy-pokeball

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    So which one am I?
    Heh. Your conversation seems like a textbook example of asker-declarer or taciturn-narrator pattern

So could this be generalized so that the people asking the best questions in this forum are taciturns and people giving the best answers are narrators? Isn't that how it is supposed to work? Asker-Declarer. Question-Answer. I'm not sure which one I am though
    It's different online. Im a questioner in real time. Online, I rarely post original questions or messages because it takes up too much effort to care.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    So which one am I?

It's different online. Im a questioner in real time. Online, I rarely post original questions or messages because it takes up too much effort to care.
    But the asker-declarer thing works at least in real life then? Taciturns tend to ask questions and narrators tend to provide information/answers? So behaviorally taciturns would seek narrators who are best able to answer their questions and narrators would seek taciturns who are able to ask them the right questions?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am definitely a declarer IRL. Even too much somtimes
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I am definitely a declarer IRL. Even too much
    O_o I can imagine that though. Perhaps you are just an anomaly Hmm..or are ESTps supposed to be narrators?

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    So which one am I?

But the asker-declarer thing works at least in real life then? Taciturns tend to ask questions and narrators tend to provide information/answers? So behaviorally taciturns would seek narrators who are best able to answer their questions and narrators would seek taciturns who are able to ask them the right questions?
    It's not about seeking, but being comfortable. If a girl's hot, I don't ask her if she's taciturn or narrator, though after some dates the level of comfort due to this preference is going to show.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O_o I can imagine that though. Perhaps you are just an anomaly Hmm..or are ESTps supposed to be narrators?
    Narrators, yes. But I had no clue about what the dichotomy means. For example, when people don't ask "Pointed" questions, but meaningless ones, I can behave tacitur-like and be like "What do you want me to tell you?", which is typically taciturn behaviour (it's listed as example, at least). However, if the question is worder in a nicer maneer and with some enthusiasm, like "Tell me what did you do yesterday c'mon" I can go on speaking for a lot of time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Narrators, yes. But I had no clue about what the dichotomy means. For example, when people don't ask "Pointed" questions, but meaningless ones, I can behave tacitur-like and be like "What do you want me to tell you?", which is typically taciturn behaviour (it's listed as example, at least). However, if the question is worder in a nicer maneer and with some enthusiasm, like "Tell me what did you do yesterday c'mon" I can go on speaking for a lot of time.
    Ah yes. It can seem taciturn if you ask lots of questions in order to clarify the original question. And you only give an answer after the question is well formed and makes sense. So the process of answering can involve lots of questioning. This makes it seem as if the one asking lots of questions to clarify the problem is taciturn.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how about this...

Narrators generally want to conclude the dialog.
    Taciturns generally want the other person to conclude the dialog or are neutral about who should conclude the dialog.

umm...so when two narrators speak they tend to compete about which one will say "the last word" and when two taciturns speak none of them is too interested about saying the last word hence things tend to get left a bit open.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how about this...

Taciturns generally want the other person to conclude the dialog or are neutral about who should conclude the dialog.

umm...so when two narrators speak they tend to compete about which one will say "the last word" and when two taciturns speak none of them is too interested about saying the last word hence things tend to get left a bit open.
    Approved!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how about this...

Approved!
    Great!

Here a small (free) Reinin's group calculator (2 differents signs --> Third sign) with groups and subgroups
    http://osha.socionika.free.fr/Lyanna_Features.php
    Have fun; and report bugs or ideas if any !
    Osha

TIM
    Juke Skywalker
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Askers

1. Tendency to dialogue.
    2. Much of what an asker says seems more question-like, even statements.
    3. Always, as the other person talks, affirm the receipt of information with yeah, mhm, etc.
    4. Can talk to an audience as a whole very well.
    5. Starts talking at times expecting someone to get interested and start paying attention.
    6. Has a tendency to interrupt and feels comfortable pausing half way on the speech and with "questions allowed all the time" way, returning to what was said later if necessary.
    7. Quite often asks a non-rhetorical question and answers it himself.
    8. Often just asks questions to fill in time, without serious need to actually find the information asked.

Declarers

1. Tendency to monologue.
    2. Much of what a declarer says seems more statement-like, even questions.
    3. Listens attentively and silently to others' speeches to return to a long speech.
    4. Finds it easier to talk to one person at a time.
    5. Before starting to talk, first ascertains that attention is grabbed.
    6. Is very patient in terms of others speeches in terms of letting finish.
    7. Prefers to finish the speech before letting others talk, likes closure and that their point was conveyed.
    8. Questions are often either rhetorical or only strictly motivated by serious need for certain information.

Asking Types: LII (INTj) ILE (ENTp) EIE (ENFj) IEI (INFp) ESI (ISFj) SEE (ESFp) LSE (ESTj) SLI (ISTp)

Declaring Types: ESE (ESFj) SEI (ISFp) LSI (ISTj) SLE (ESTp) LIE (ENTj) ILI (INTp) EII (INFj) IEE (ENFp)

useful ^^^^^

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Asker types usually use questions as a rhetorical device rather than being a certainty of prodding for answers, as in, they ask for the sake of asking a question. The uncertainty of asker types would rather be the act of persuading rather than to have a clarity over the information, which means that's a pointless question to ask. This is pretty much distinct akin to the declarer types. They do have the importance of emphasizing the points of each word to be clearer. This tendency creates the furthest aspect of information as an affirmative device.
    And if I were to be exact of this dichotomy, then I'd say, Rhetorical vs Affirmative.
    Last edited by Metaphor; 01-04-2022 at 12:14 PM.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Deductive View Post
    they ask for the sake of asking a question.
    Do they?

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You just did, didn't you.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12