Thread: Stressed by ISTjs at work

Creepy-Cyclops

Default Stressed by ISTjs at work

Well, i've been asked to do someone else's job just now at work, which was OK it was kind of a compliment that I was asked to do it on the account that i'm seen as a productive worker.

However, it's involving me working in a seperate department, where there is myself, three ISTj's and an ESTp.

I'm finding it really tricky to work with the ISTj's. The one who is in charge is so negative about everything and is constantly stressed out and huffs and puffs about people not doing there job right and makes mountains out of the tiniest things. Doesn't seem to be able to adapt to new situations and keeps wanting to apply the same old tired formula even if it doesn't work for a specific problem.

I try to stay out of there way but they keep coming over and interfering with what i'm doing, telling me to how to do my job with explicit instructions then another one comes over and tells me to do it some other way. I'm getting almost zero flexibility to do my job in a way I see productive and to find new and better..more efficient ways of doing things. To work at it as my own job given that ultimately the responsibility still rests with me. As a result of their interference the already busy work schedule is falling behind.

Anyway, the one who I think is in charge today let out with a massive rant at me for not doing something right and that I had said to her boss that I hadn't been shown how to do it which resulted in making a mistake.

The mistake was pretty simple, and even if I had known, it could easily still have come about from human error. Anyway I got a little defensive about it and said, "look, I made a mistake, i've already apologised and I wasn't looking to get anyone into trouble when your boss asked me about it. Your boss said it's not a big deal and that it could happen to anyone. What else do you want me to say?". (i'd already had the other two ISTj's speak to me about it. One yesterday and another one today. It's like..how many times can someone flog a dead horse? Make a point then move on is how I tend to think). So it's like i've explained the same relatively trivial thing to four different people and explained how I wouldn't expect it to happen again.

Anyway, i'm finding the atmosphere pretty tough, and i'm finding it difficult to do my job, and really wish they'd just back off and let me get the work done!

Plus, in the group, no one really seems to help each other and it's like to me everyone is fighting rather than working together, not pulling together when one person is busy and the other person not so busy for instance.

And, i've been doing it for about a week and a half, and so far..no one has shown me where the toilets are or the fire exits or any health and safety related issues. Also, no one stops to get a tea or coffee. It's like they're obsessed with the job and it's the only thing that matters..or that they are able to think about. I see it as a lack of perspective. People need a five minute break every so often to maintain efficiency.. Constantly going on about how much they have to do yet at the same time if they spent less time complaining and actually working they'd probably manage to get it done minus what I see as additional stress.

I think it's time to leave. Not sure if I can request a move back to my old job as questions would be asked as to why, I suppose I could stick it out but I just don't see it as an effective working environment.

Any thoughts?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well maybe they wouldn't put you back in your old position but I would still talk about it. You could say you find your current position too stressful and unproductive and it is not only because it is a new job or new people (even if it is the truth). You might say you considering leaving the job if that is really an option you consider. If they value you as a worker (which I assume they do) they would most likely try to find a compromise that benefits both you and the company. I assume they would go on with the usual crap "try it for a little bit longer" but if you will be firm they will have no choice as either to let you go or find you some other place.

But in general what you described sounds really awful. Hope you will find a way to get out of that hellhole .
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmall View Post
    Well maybe they wouldn't put you back in your old position but I would still talk about it. You could say you find your current position too stressful and unproductive and it is not only because it is a new job or new people (even if it is the truth). You might say you considering leaving the job if that is really an option you consider. If they value you as a worker (which I assume they do) they would most likely try to find a compromise that benefits both you and the company. I assume they would go on with the usual crap "try it for a little bit longer" but if you will be firm they will have no choice as either to let you go or find you some other place.
    Yeah this is good advice thank you. Problem is that I tend to be quite stubborn in a situation that's difficult, I typically tend to stick things out, and I can see some potential in this job in that the job itself could be better, or more preferable for me.

So on the leaving thing.. I'm planning on going back to uni at the end of the year, so it crossed my mind I could change my plans somewhat in the meantime and look for temporary work..for instance a 6 month contract somewhere. Although in this climate I don't think jobs are as plentiful as they once were.

And.. Sticking things out even if it's rather unpleasant for me, is something I typically do. Although, having spoken to a few ENFp's, I think they can tend to extracite themselves from situations if it isn't to their liking, i'm sort of thinking with experimenting with that line of approach
    But in general what you described sounds really awful. Hope you will find a way to get out of that hellhole .
    Yeah thanks. They seem not to like it but somehow like it lol. Also to add, I waited about half an hour or so and spoke to ISTj in private to clear the air which I think worked. I tend not to do that, but it seemed to me like this person could probably try to make things difficult for me, so even though I wasn't totally sure I was in the wrong, I did so anyway. Still, I can't see something similar not occuring in the future.

So yeah..maybe tomorrow i'll feel better lol. (it will be Friday after all )

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post
    Hmm. Did you consider that they might be telling you how to do your job because you complained that nobody showed you how to do it, which is why you made the mistake? I think once you demonstrate that you know what you're doing then everyone will leave you alone. My 2 cents. After all, do they tell each other how to do things?
    It's a good question. I've been more or less focusing on what i've been doing, but from what i've observed, yes they actually tend to do so.

In regards to the sort of stuff they're telling me, it tends to be endless repetition of what I see as trivial things. Of course it's altogether possible that help is intended. I would say that one does it the most. It's to me like, how do I put it, telling me trivial things which I already know and am doing. I think (it's my impression) that one in particular it is more like letting off steam. And for example, I questioned something which wasn't working right, and I was told, "no it is fine we've always done it that way so it's correct" I presented evidence to show I was correct which was initially dismissed. However it turned out a day or so later I was correct, the person sort of acknowledged this without saying and one way of doing things has sort of changed, but I kinda feel that the boss wants it to go back to as it was anyway lol (which of course could be a wrong feeling on my part). Call me a softie but it was a real battle when initially discussing it, trying to be diplomatic and at the time I ended up agreeing I was wrong just to keep the peace (even though on this being a work related technical issue I was correct). All I was doing was looking to improve efficiency, and it did. It's sort of disheartening to me that it felt like a battle. Kindof un-co-operative.

The sort of babysitting I think I mentioned has been going on before I mentioned anything about not being shown a particular thing. I suppose I have a mouth and can ask more, but I find them unapproachable which may be more my problem than anyone else to be honest.

I wouldn't say personally that the bulk of the job is all that hard, as it's similar to what I was already doing with just some subtle changes. Just I think a different approach from management I was initially used to, where I could ask a question and get a quick straightforward answer, rather than several ten minute lectures then to be asked why I haven't got through as much work lol.

So maybe i'm just ranting by now lol.

lol. I'm pretty sure you can find the toilets by yourself!
    lol, you're right. So far i've found the disabled toilets.

Yep, request a move back, and tell them you're stressed out and having trouble getting things done. It doesn't sound like the right kind of place for you.
    Yeah I might do this. Other area just seemed more productive to me.

Oh, and thanks for your response.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 03-05-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Edited for some additional info

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTJ's...pff they are such perfectionists. Then they bluntly comment to everyone who does something that differentiates slightly from their own way (and only correct way) of doing.

Funny thing is they intend to be nice and helpful.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think as you stay in the job longer they will respect you more and you will be less likely to make errors. Then as you try different ways of doing things they might slacken up and realise the sky is not falling in i hope. ISTj's can be workaholics definately.

Poor ISTj's hehe they are humans i do feel sorry for them sometimes. My ISTj dad cried when i left to go interstate :redface:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    and so far..no one has shown me where the toilets are or the fire exits
    You mean you haven't taken a piss for a week?
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow that sounds like it really sucks! It sounds like the Office Space movie w/ the memo

I'd just figure out what's most to your benefit long term...as far as trying to navigate the crappy situation, making a break for it, negotiating, or whatever else...

but sheesh...people need coffee and beverages! and to not even show you where the bathrooms are? Maybe they won't let you have coffee because they don't have bathrooms! jk. I worked at a bad place once that didn't give us plastic forks. I had to buy and bring my own, which I remember I was really mad about...

good luck! few things are as bad as a job like that But the situation will improve I'm sure, since you're planning on doing something whether you stay or go...

those poor ISTjs will prob be stuck there forever...that is scary.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)

Creepy-Cyclops

So I spoke directly to the ISTj "bully". Advising I no longer wish to contribute to the department. The result was the person was very apologetic, advising me that they are aware they are difficult and a dragon. Also that i'm doing an excellent job and if ISTj thought otherwise, then would very much let me know! (which makes me think what it would be like if I was doing in persons eyes poorly)!

So conclusion, i'm being left alone more to get on with the job. Other people spoke up to say i'm doing well and wish me to stay. So i'm staying in meantime now that i'm being given as I see the correct level of autonomy.

In the meantime i'm now with a few recruitment agencies to keep my options open just in case.

And, once i'm a little more "bombproof", i've already got some ideas to improve the place. First thing: running around for 6 hours flat without a lunch or a coffee or a break is counterproductive, certainly on a daily basis. I think it results in them being even more inefficient overall: to work hard, people need a break every so often, so i'll be introducing stopping times eventually, already hatching a way to do this, and I think it will give them a chance to "take 5" and re-gain their perspective and make for a better working environment.

Thanks for your input everyone. Thank crunchie it's Friday!
    Last edited by Cyclops; 03-06-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heh sounds like you got the best out of it afterall, I'm glad it worked out .
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/