Thread: Objectification

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds a lot like my ESTp friend. I think I might sometimes objectify people I don't know, but not people I'm close to or want to be close to. I'm having trouble thinking of examples right now.

I don't know how good this advice is, but maybe when you notice yourself objectifying someone, you could pause to imagine how they will feel about what you want and ways that it will be beneficial (or not) to them.

Creepy-

That was good advice, Sarah. SLEs do seem to have a tendency to do this (goin gby observation), but if they can keep themselves in check it doesn't tend to go far past the "cute" part of it (although maybe I only think it's cute because I'm an IEI... )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Objectification

=)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i feel some people want this sort of objectification. Some people want to feel like they serve a purpose to another person.
    asd

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kraus
    Which types are most likely to objectify people?

I think it's mostly types. I recently realized how much of an issue this is for me, and how often I do it. For example, whether it be making a friend or attracting some guy, I can't help but think, "That's the thing I want (for whatever reason). I'm going to see how it responds."

What do other types think about this? Do you guys do the same thing at all? How can I view people as objects less often?
    I only know that I can spot when types are doing this and I just want to kick them in the balls or vagina in your case when I sense this.

No offense meant
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kraus
    I think it's mostly types. I recently realized how much of an issue this is for me, and how often I do it. For example, whether it be making a friend or attracting some guy, I can't help but think, "That's the thing I want (for whatever reason). I'm going to see how it responds."
    Thank you for this . That was the clearest insight I ever had inside an ESXp's mind and it helps me understand them much better.

The only advice I can give you is to try to imagine how much you would like to be seen as an object by others.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For example, whether it be making a friend or attracting some guy, I can't help but think, "That's the thing I want (for whatever reason). I'm going to see how it responds."
    I don't know if things are much better with other types. When I meet someone interesting, I automatically think, "That's the information/experience I want to know about. I'm going to see if I can suck it out of them."

I just try to make the sucking process as painless as possible to them and smile a lot

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting this, it has finally, finally let me see why some T types are the way they are. To me they come across as "being callous/superficial/whatever", which is basically saying their actions are motivated by "negative" emotions... but now I've seen the light... their actions aren't motivated by emotions at all, only by things like curiousity or the wish to get something! Gosh, that took me long...

Isn't there also a good side to objectifying people? I suspect that it lets you get what you want fairly easily. Sometimes being too aware that others are human beings too only complicates matters unnecessarily. I used to think that objectifying people was all wrong, but I'm not so sure now. It probably depends on when you do it and how much and to whom.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't there also a good side to objectifying people? I suspect that it lets you get what you want fairly easily. Sometimes being too aware that others are human beings too only complicates matters unnecessarily. I used to think that objectifying people was all wrong, but I'm not so sure now. It probably depends on when you do it and how much and to whom.
    Actually, I think it is often quite flattering to ILI's and IEI's when they are objectified this way. They tend to lose contact with physical reality and "forget" that they are a physical body in a physical world, and the fact that someone is looking at them as an object is actually reassuring and brings them back into reality.

Similar situation with all other dual type pairs. Everyone is flattered to discover that they are being evaluated positively from a standpoint other than what they themselves consider to be their main advantages.

Sorry Herzy...

I hate . When people use Se around me I start feeling like they are being forceful and I close all up. Oddly enough I like to watch people use on others just not on me. With me people should be gentile damn it.

Biggest clash of was between two dominant types.

Little black balls.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat
    Thanks for posting this, it has finally, finally let me see why some T types are the way they are..
    No, I think Herzy's right, it's more about being dominant - and irrational - than being a T type. Or perhaps it has also to do with PoLR.
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I think it is often quite flattering to ILI's and IEI's when they are objectified this way. They tend to lose contact with physical reality and "forget" that they are a physical body in a physical world, and the fact that someone is looking at them as an object is actually reassuring and brings them back into reality.
    True. I was going to say that.
    http://forum.socionix.com

I don't see what's so important about the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It's just more people to declare war on.

EVERYONE PLZ CONTINUE TO UPLOAD INFINITE AMOUNT OF PICS OF "CUTE" CATS AND PUPPIES. YOU KNOW WE GIVE A SHIT!!

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Expat
    Thanks for posting this, it has finally, finally let me see why some T types are the way they are..
    No, I think Herzy's right, it's more about being dominant - and irrational - than being a T type. Or perhaps it has also to do with PoLR.
    That's why I wrote "some T types". I noticed that kind of thing in some T people I know IRL, got the impression that their behaviour was fairly typical for their types, and wondered why they were that way. I didn't mean to state that "objectification is typical T behaviour."

Interesting point about objectification <-- Fi PoLR.

I've just thought up the lamest socionics joke ever. shirt.

Creepy-

I've just thought up the lamest socionics joke ever. shirt.
    That's hilarious!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I understand the concept right then objectification is a red flag for me I usually spot it very easily in others and like to criticize them about it.

But then again I have a tendency to "depersonify" and stereotype people when I first meet them. And only after interacting longer start to see them as individuals. I'm not sure in which way objectification / depersonifying / stereotyping are connected so I'm a bit confused.

Let me give an example...When I meet someone I easily think of them as "ok he/she is a man/woman, young/old, poor/rich, non-educated/educated, not_too_smart/smart, not_too_attractive/attractive, leftist/rightist, atheist/religious and of type XXXx" then stereotype/classify and label the person in my mind and interact with that label not with the person. Only after some interaction I start to interact with the actual person who sometimes can be very different from the label I initially gave him/her.

Then again I could never think of a woman as being "a face, pair of boobs and a bum" (sadly not really even if she wants it hehe) or thinking people as being "just resources to be used" or anything like that.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX
    Let me give an example...When I meet someone I easily think of them as "ok he/she is a man/woman, young/old, poor/rich, non-educated/educated, not_too_smart/smart, not_too_attractive/attractive, leftist/rightist, atheist/religious and of type XXXx" then stereotype/classify and label the person in my mind and interact with that label not with the person. Only after some interaction I start to interact with the actual person who sometimes can be very different from the label I initially gave him/her.
    Haha, that's so me. I always want to believe that I am a non-jugdemental person and have no prejudice for anything/anyone whatsoever, but whenever I meet someone I instantly form a mental picture of the person. I give them many parameters and sometimes I even begin imaginig my relation with them and the possible ways it could develop in time. It's only after interacting for some time when I start to see the real person. But the film in my mind can unfold so musch (especially if I find the person attractive) that makes me afraid of anticipation and not knowing what might happen and sometimes I become so tense that I don't know how to behave at all and have to terminate the contact by saying or doing something really stupid (although that's not what I really want to do) and save me the trouble of having to deal with all the pressure. But this could as well be related to something else, I guess, which I still haven't figured ... Anyhow, I'm ending this post now...
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.