Thread: Type and quitting cigarette smoking + personal experience

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Type and quitting cigarette smoking + personal experience

Hi, for those that do not know most people here have me typed on their userlists as a SLE Se subtype and the general concensus for my ennegram seems to be 6w7. While that may not say much, I will tell u that I have an addictive personality and drugs are one of my weak points. I personally have the willpower to quit. I recently did for over 2 weeks without the aid of any gum/patches and my body was completely free of nicotine. However I slipped when a friend offered...not because I really wanted one just because I hadn't had one in so long. It was like an old friend coming to say hi, and I said "fuck this quitting shit I'll have one." Well I did, and my day went bad from there, I ended up getting drunk and high. So in my experience "quitting" and going through physical withdrawal is easy and the rest is mental. However it's just that one second where ur brain says "this is no longer my goal I don't care" to ruin everything. Now I'm back to almost one day nicotine free presently. So I'm assuming that for othee people like me living in the moment can lead to problems when it comes to fulfilling long-term goals. Do any of you have experiences like mine? Do any of you want to stop smoking cigarettes? If so contact me and we can make like a mini-support group for everyone here.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You need to somehow eliminate the fact that you like cigarettes... associate them with something bad.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    You need to somehow eliminate the fact that you like cigarettes... associate them with something bad.
    Like choking to death in your own blood or something

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I woke up one day and quit smoking totally, no patches, no weird books or slow decline in cig amount. I wasn't actually planing on quitting either, i just went day by day, as in "I won't smoke today".

I only started saying I quit smoking after like half a year when I was piss drunk and still was unable to smoke, basically I threw a cigarette out. At that point I was sure there was no way back unless something weird happens.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no easy way to quit. Just don't do it...? lol. I dunno, I can't identify with this as I've never gotten addicted to smoking...or anything for that matter. I can't understand addiction. If I want to quit something badly enough, I quit. The only time I crave it for some reason is when I'm drinking and a few times when I get really stressed out...but even then i'm able to have only like one a month. Smoke some nicotine free cigarettes or something?

Creepy-Cyclops

I was very anti-smoking in the past. I went off the rails for a while and smoked for about 10 months. I eventually gave it up because I felt like crap and I wanted to start cycling again, and smoking didn't help me do that. For a few years now I've only smoked periodically, like extremely sporadic. I've wondered if the smoking brought on my adult asthma, but that's under control now anyway.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well ive done all that and it has worked, just have to work harder at controlling my impulses. smoking impsulively ties into impsulsiveness in general for me. well, i didnt have a cig today and im fine...just wish they still made that bleachodent

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't quit without patches and such. And even then it took a long time for me to stop dreaming of cigarettes. I haven't smoked in about 2 and a half years now but I still think I might start smoking again when I'm old and retired and I don't care about my health anymore.
    EIE, ENFj, intuitive subtype.
    E3 (probably 3w4)

Cool ILI hubbys are better than LSIs any time!

Old blog: http://firsttimeinusa.blogspot.com/
    New blog: http://having-a-kid.blogspot.com/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never smoken a cigarette in my entire life, and I plan never to
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Cyclops

Question for you when you return: How are you getting on with the non-smoking?

As a now infrequent smoker, I was thinking back to the last time I had a cigarette..a couple of weeks ago. I was back at a girls apartment (heh, we call them flats, for some reason) and she and her flatmate are both smokers. I decided to accept her offer of a cigarette, and as I hadn't smoked for a while, it gave me a real head rush. I felt like I was sinking right back into her sofa. Was a cool feeling.

Smoking every so often is great, just got to make sure it doesn't become a habit!

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    Smoking every so often is great, just got to make sure it doesn't become a habit!
    I agree. I think adding a certain amount into one's general lifestyle can be palatable, and enhances one's overall aesthetic awareness and appreciation (i.e. classy variations of cigars and such). Nicotine addicts are gross, as are potheads, etc. It's more just about enjoying what nature has to offer If I want to sit in my hot tub and hit a black cherry cigar, I see no reason to abstain, under some pretense of strengthening my heart or blah blah.

And that stuff doesn't really affect stamina; the consequences are more general and long-term, and only brought about by consistent use over your lifetime. I can still run around a 5-minute mile, despite my previous addiction and laziness.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    And that stuff doesn't really affect stamina; the consequences are more general and long-term, and only brought about by consistent use over your lifetime. I can still run around a 5-minute mile, despite my previous addiction and laziness.
    OT, 5 minute mile?! I thought my 8 minute mile was great ...5 minutes? That's flying. How long have you been running? How do you increase it? I've only really been pushing myself the last month...before that I was running a mile in about 13-14 minutes, lol. It doesn't take long to get your body used to it, though.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    OT, 5 minute mile?! I thought my 8 minute mile was great ...5 minutes? That's flying. How long have you been running? How do you increase it? I've only really been pushing myself the last month...before that I was running a mile in about 13-14 minutes, lol. It doesn't take long to get your body used to it, though.
    The duration and intensity will naturally increase with each mile; so really, a 5-minute mile isn't as much of an accomplishment as it may sound like. All it really takes, is some solid training of your anaerobic system, and you'll be able to pull it off. However, it's much harder to do, say, a 10-minute 2-mile or 15-minute 3-mile.

But basically, everyone needs to start with an aerobic base. That basically means getting to the point where you can run 3 miles at a moderately fast pace (65% - 75% of max), and 5 or so at an average pace (50% - 60%). Once this is established, you can begin training your anaerobic system, which deals with exercises that use 85% or more of your maximum energy (2 minute duration or less). So, incorporate sprints into your runs at intervals, do plyometrics, and other high-intensity low-duration exercises.

Once you've built up enough, you should be able to not only maintain a decent pace for a while, or an intense level for a short time, but apply an amount of energy which borders between aerobic and anaerobic for a medium amount of time, hence 5-minute mile.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I can run 2 miles at moderate pace with no problem...after that, I start struggling to keep it up. I can run for hours it seems at an average pace but that doesn't mean much when I need to get it under a certain time. This is all very new to me seeing as I haven't ran in about 25 years. I remember the days I couldn't even run for 2 minutes straight. I would like to see myself hitting the three mile mark with a consistant, moderate pace. Do you ever use a treadmill? I've been running on it for the last few months and I think that's ruined my progress as running outside is exceedingly harder.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I can run 2 miles at moderate pace with no problem...after that, I start struggling to keep it up. I can run for hours it seems at an average pace but that doesn't mean much when I need to get it under a certain time. This is all very new to me seeing as I haven't ran in about 25 years. I remember the days I couldn't even run for 2 minutes straight. I would like to see myself hitting the three mile mark with a consistant, moderate pace. Do you ever use a treadmill? I've been running on it for the last few months and I think that's ruined my progress as running outside is exceedingly harder.
    I don't use treadmills because I think they instill detrimental muscular and skeletal patterns. They also fuck up your proprioception (holistic sense of balance, coordination, and intramuscular control in the body), which can be clearly evidenced once you have to run on something more difficult than a flat, stationary surface. I also think they're psychologically detrimental, because they foster laziness and comfort over hard work. Real running is irreplaceable IMO. Every step is different and forces your body to adapt dynamically; hills and such build more full-body strength than any incremental steepness of a treadmill ever could. Not to mention the fact that when you run outside, you're breathing natural air, which ultimately facilitates more optimal cardiovascular functioning.

We didn't evolve with our physical abilities from running on treadmills; they're just another pernicious "innovation" inspired by the ever-increasing futility of the human race.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use treadmills because I think they instill detrimental muscular and skeletal patterns. They also fuck up your proprioception (holistic sense of balance, coordination, and intramuscular control in the body), which can be clearly evidenced once you have to run on something more difficult than a flat, stationary surface. I also think they're psychologically detrimental, because they foster laziness and comfort over hard work. Real running is irreplaceable IMO. Every step is different and forces your body to adapt dynamically; hills and such build more full-body strength than any incremental steepness of a treadmill ever could. Not to mention the fact that when you run outside, you're breathing natural air, which ultimately facilitates more optimal cardiovascular functioning.

We didn't evolve with our physical abilities from running on treadmills; they're just another pernicious "innovation" inspired by the ever-increasing futility of the human race.
    Nick what did you score on the Verbal/English part of the SAT?
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 07490 View Post
    Nick what did you score on the Verbal/English part of the SAT?
    I don't remember specifically. I know that throughout my career of online and in-class tests, I typically moved throughout the 700's, maybe hitting the perfect mark on a good day, or somewhere in the high-600's on a bad one. I never put much faith into those tests though, because I knew that stupid kids scored high simply by learning the techniques, and that due to silly mistakes, one's current psychological state, or the level of effort put forth, one's score could easily deviate from what their actual ability was. The most recent verbal test I took was part of the Navy's exam, which I got a perfect score on.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most recent verbal test I took was part of the Navy's exam, which I got a perfect score on.
    So many people in my group did horrible on the entrance exam. I was one of the top percentages and personally think if you fail that thing, you have no business procreating...let alone firing a gun. That thing was a breeze.

Creepy-Cyclops

Man, I wish we had SAT's here. They sound pretty awesome.

Eh, I did highers in what's known as our fifth year, got three B and one A in subjects English, Chemistry, Physics and Maths. Which was OK considering the school I went to was state run and in most of the classes people were high passing round a bottle of "poppers" yeah, seriously.

I was too young to go to uni at the end of that, so did three subjects in 6th year. Was never there though, was working down at a calorgas place uploading gas canisters onto a truck most of the day which helped fill me out.

Just after my sixteenth birthday I grew about 4 inches to over 6 ft, and working there helped me fill out, ah I remember the days when all of a sudden I appeared on girls radars.

Oh strrrng, is this a /rant ?

Went to uni though, and realised I had to work at studying and lectures to pass exams. That sucked really like hell lol. If only life could remain as it was.

You know, I read this thing a while ago, that past memories are always brighter than the present, even how we remember colour and shit, so maybe it always sucked lol, and the future is just memories to look back on (ok, is that rant over or is that just Ni role haha).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't remember specifically. I know that throughout my career of online and in-class tests, I typically moved throughout the 700's, maybe hitting the perfect mark on a good day, or somewhere in the high-600's on a bad one. I never put much faith into those tests though, because I knew that stupid kids scored high simply by learning the techniques, and that due to silly mistakes, one's current psychological state, or the level of effort put forth, one's score could easily deviate from what their actual ability was. The most recent verbal test I took was part of the Navy's exam, which I got a perfect score on.
    I believe you have the Intrusic potential to be a world renown author, you have vivid inmagination with a good ability for story telling. you remind me alot of James paterson and his style of writing.

1)

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    Oh strrrng, is this a /rant ?

EDIT:

Man, I wish we had SAT's here. They sound pretty awesome.
    You really don't, lol. They serve as nothing more than a tool for the American scholastic system to further implement its cursory and quality-void assessments of students' intellectual ability.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe you have the Intrusic potential to be a world renown author, you have vivid inmagination with a good ability for story telling. you remind me alot of James paterson and his style of writing.
    Thanks It's really interesting you made that comparison, because he has always been my favorite, and his style was the one I resonated with the most.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That thing was a breeze.
    It is not a breeze to score a perfect score on the SAT.

1)

2)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is not a breeze to score a perfect score on the SAT.
    I wasn't talking about the SAT...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasn't talking about the SAT...
    I know, but we were talking about the same person.

1)

2)

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So many people in my group did horrible on the entrance exam. I was one of the top percentages and personally think if you fail that thing, you have no business procreating...let alone firing a gun. That thing was a breeze.
    Yes, lol. I don't know what the standard deviations and such are for it, but it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I still think it's legitimate, for the most part, in terms of getting a general read on a person's faculties. The sections were far more diverse than an SAT, spanning from paragraph comprehension to understanding of causal physics operations.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

which happens to take both test.

1)

2)

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol what
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And that stuff doesn't really affect stamina
    It definitely does, it causes an acute (if consumed very, very occasionally) decrease in VO2max, and a chronic one if consumed more than very occasionally.

the consequences are more general and long-term, and only brought about by consistent use over your lifetime. I can still run around a 5-minute mile, despite my previous addiction and laziness.
    The extreme consequences, but comparative consequences are visible from the start. 5 minutes at 180 bpms are not enough of a proof of lack of detrimental effects.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Creepy-Cyclops

Well, unless we are training for the olympics the occasional cigarette isn't going to affect that much, I wouldn't think.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Well, unless we are training for the olympics the occasional cigarette isn't going to affect that much, I wouldn't think.
    Yeah. This is pretty much where I was coming from.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone who fails the ASVAB is a huge fucking moron. Easiest test I ever took in my life.

Now the DLAB is another fucking story.
    "To become is just like falling asleep. You never know exactly when it happens, the transition, the magic, and you think, if you could only recall that exact moment of crossing the line then you would understand everything; you would see it all"

"Angels dancing on the head of a pin dissolve into nothingness at the bedside of a dying child."