TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Repost of "Management Styles" by consentingadult

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult
    Following up on the discussion on management styles in the "SLE Backbone.." thread, let's give it the attention it deserve in a thread of its own. We have been talking about management styles of quadras, let's take it to the level of types. I'll make a start: IEE: prefers to macromanage and be macromanaged. More in particular, IEE's like to be provided a goal and have it left upon themselves how to accomplish that goal, within reasonable bounds (e.g. financial and time constraints) of course. They also prefer to manage other people by providing them a goal and leave it up to others how to accomplish that. If their subordinates need help or instructions, they'd rather coach them, teaching them new abilities. They are uncomfortable making outright demands or give clear, detailed instructions, which they feel would be intrusive upon the personal freedom and development potential of their subordinates. ETA: although IEE's do not want to make demands, they can be perfectionists nonetheless, and might be disappointed if the results do not live up to their standards, in which case they might become micromanagers after all.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    I just noticed this, perhaps a good thing to do would be for a mod or an admin to do a thread split to put previous posts relating to the subject on to this thread, for overall continuity of discussion? Just a suggestion.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops
    I just noticed this, perhaps a good thing to do would be for a mod or an admin to do a thread split to put previous posts relating to the subject on to this thread, for overall continuity of discussion? Just a suggestion.
    That's okay with me. @admin/mod: HELP!!!!
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu
    Following up on the discussion on management styles in the "SLE Backbone.." thread, let's give it the attention it deserve in a thread of its own. We have been talking about management styles of quadras, let's take it to the level of types. I'll make a start: IEE: prefers to macromanage and be macromanaged. More in particular, IEE's like to be provided a goal and have it left upon themselves how to accomplish that goal, within reasonable bounds (e.g. financial and time constraints) of course. They also prefer to manage other people by providing them a goal and leave it up to others how to accomplish that. If their subordinates need help or instructions, they'd rather coach them, teaching them new abilities. They are uncomfortable making outright demands or give clear, detailed instructions, which they feel would be intrusive upon the personal freedom and development potential of their subordinates. ETA: although IEE's do not want to make demands, they can be perfectionists nonetheless, and might be disappointed if the results do not live up to their standards, in which case they might become micromanagers after all.
    SLI: prefers not to manage or be managed. (only partly kidding) I can't stand micromanagers, and I can't wrap my head around having to delegate on a consistent basis. In a crisis, I can be downright autocratic, but as soon as crisis is over I'm in serious withdrawal mode. I remember whenever I was doing a group project back in school ... I either did 80-99% of the work of the entire group, or else contributed almost nothing. My current supervisor recently called me "low maintenance." Not only was that an unusually easy compliment for me to take ... well, let's just say I'm glad that he even wants a low maintenance person. I've been under the thumb of some serious control freaks, and it has more than once become my main reason for quitting. My LSE SO every now and then touches back on a subject he can't leave alone: that I refuse to be placed in a supervisory/managerial position. He's done it, and enjoyed it, and his argument is that I'm quite capable (as in intelligent, detail-oriented, experienced in various workplaces, etc.) of doing it ... thus, I'm holding myself back by categorically denying such opportunities. But I don't *want* to be responsible for *people*! Give me stuff to do with my hands, or facts and data to organize and manipulate, but don't ask me to constantly deal with other human beings - especially in the context of having to answer for their actions. I'd rather just do it all myself.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I hate to be managed, and to manage. I can accept the former if I'm being taught something I don't know how to do, and I can accept the latter if really there is nobody else that understands the situation at hand, but generally speaking my style of management is not to manage at all.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx