0 Thread(s)

Default Abigail's Party

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abigail%27s_Party

Beverly Moss - IEE
    Laurence Moss - LSE
    Angela - IEE
    Tony - SLI
    Susan Lawson - IEE? or EII?

Quite long, but quite good (in socionics terms).

The entire play is comprised of 11 youtube videos.
    Last edited by leckysupport; 01-28-2009 at 01:25 AM.

cunnilingus epilepsy inducer
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ANYWAY…

Beverly (IEE) comes off as pushy, whiney, promiscuous, narcissistic and selfish. Behavior not typically related to IEEs or Ne or Fi, but I believe you are far more likely to see this in Delta NFs than Gamma SFs; so it is a Ne related thing IMO, I have seen something similar in some Alpha NTs too. Rick avoids linking this type of behavior to Delta NF, but he did here:

http://www.wikisocion.org/en/index.p...tive_introvert

“Pre-adult EIIs can be quite different, I've found. They can be lazy, rudderless, vain and self-centered, flitting from relationship to relationship, promiscuous, etc.”

Smilingeyes tends to talk about this kind of behavior in Ne subtypes a lot. It also matches on some levels some of Ritella’s behavior that is seen as un-EII and un-Delta (the rest is related to delta rational behavior and Fi-base) IMO.
    I have no idea how exactly this all theoretically matches with the accepted Ne description, but I’m seeing what I’m seeing.

Beverly’s flighty attitude of life conflicts heavily with her husband’s attitude (LSE), who is far more straight-laced and what she would describe as boring. She doesn’t particularly care much about accidently insulting other characters, although she is quite watchful of how stylish and sexy she comes across. Wants to have fun at a drop of a hat, alludes to lewd behavior she likes to partake in but is very critical of Abilgal’s friends (although she kind of sounds like she wants to join in). Laurence tries to defend the weak against Beverly’s overbearing personality and every word that comes out of her mouth bothers him. Beverly constantly nags Laurence and admits she wouldn’t have married him if they had spent a year together before marriage.

Beverly seems to find an ally in Angela (IEE); Angela believes that she and Beverly are alike. Even though at face value they don’t really seem to be similar at all (could be a result of Identity relations, but I’m not sure what Angela meant). Neither Beverly or Angela seem to have much social friction although there are some hints that they don’t find everything they say to each other pleasant to listen to. They both gang up on Laurence due to his uptightness. Beverly makes a pass at Tony (Angela’s husband), which Tony a little too positively reacts to; but Angela doesn’t seem to retaliate or even get angry.

Beverly finds Tony (SLI) attractive and rather compliant even though Tony is quite aggressive. Tony seems to hate everyone at the party, probably more so Beverly (not sure). Beverly Flirts with Tony. Kind of duality type situation, but I think the differences in how Tony reacts to Beverly and how Laurence reacts to Beverly shows the difference between a SLI and a LSE quite well.

Beverly constantly controls, pushes, humiliates and talks over Susan, just through the sheer force of her personality. When Susan finally decides to stand up for herself (a little) Beverly makes a ‘Who do you think you are to talk’ comment, indicating that Beverly sees Susan as pathetic and not worthy of expressing herself.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I think you got the quadra wrong... they seem more beta characters.

Althrough Angela seems SEI and Susan might be a Gamma/Delta type.
    Angela reminds me a lot of Slackermom (and strangly enough Alan Greenspan). In to the mudane, simple and boring; non-events and just generally things that happened in her small boring exsitance (Edit:Innocent and childish). And I'm not sure about Susan.
    Last edited by leckysupport; 01-28-2009 at 08:42 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    The director Mike Leigh seems some sort of Alpha/Delta rational excluding ESFj. I would say INTj or ESTj followed by INFj.

As far as mundane simple and boring, I think as a whole Se is devalued in his work.
    I don’t really know much of Mike Leigh's work, but I suspected the play was created by a negativist type. Simply because it showed almost every character in a negative light with deep issues affecting most the aspects of their behavior in the situation, no real heroes, even the positive personalities weren't really that positive (I'm new to using the negativism/positivism thing so...). But I should check out more of his stuff.

Also the boring and mundane comment was in reference to Angela’s personality not the play in general but yeah... you're probably right about the devalued Se.

Laurence's LSE clinching moment IMO:

04.00-05.29

Seems to have a 'real' feeling to it; I'm guessing the actor sympathizes.

1.50-6.10 shows classic Te-based behavior, a lot of similarities with how Expat acts in real life: