Thread: Type this Exchange

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Type this Exchange

Let's call them Allen and Betty.

Allen and Betty are in the supermarket. At the register, Betty tells Allen "I couldn't find the walnuts." Allen says "hold on. I'll go and check for them."

Allen goes to look for the walnuts. After 5 minutes he returns because he sees Betty motioning that she has been checked out already. When Allen meets Betty, she immediately says "You're ridiculous. I held up the whole line because of you. It was insensitive to the other people in line."

Ensuing convo....

Allen: What are you talking about? Why would you do that?

Betty: Because you didn't come back. I assumed you were getting them.

Allen: What? I was trying to get them.

Betty: Okay, calm down. This was a miscommunication on both of our parts. I assumed you would come back and tell me the status, so I held up the line, waiting for you to come back.

Allen: No. I figured you would check out normally. If I happened to have found the walnuts while you were still in line, we would get them, and if I didn't come back in time (or came back empty-handed), then we wouldn't.

Betty: I assumed you would come back to tell me the status. Besides. Didn't you realize that 5 minutes had passed? How long do you think it would take to check me out?!

Allen: I figured you were probably done. I tried to tell the staff to stop looking, but they kept talking to me and I felt bad telling them to shut up because it was futile at that point. Anyway, your assumptions make no sense. Why would I come back to tell you the status? That just wastes time and confuses the staff who is trying to find me.

Betty: Umm no. You say to people "Bye. I have to go."

Allen: I was trying to. Anyway, you're failing to think about each of the possibilities: 1. the walnuts were there (in which case I would have just come back with the bag), 2. they weren't there (in which case I could be in the process of asking the staff if they could locate them in the back for me, which is exactly what happened). It's not just "there" or "not there." It's more like "there" or "possibly there," which is why my "if I happen to come back with them in time" makes the most obvious sense.

Betty: Not obvious. The cashiers were waiting for you as well. Everyone thought you would come back with an update.

Allen: So now we're going by assumptions of the general populus? Geez. Sorry, I don't do THAT.

Betty: Snot.

Allen: You know I'm only half serious.

Betty: Why are you getting so enraged over this?

Allen: You called me "ridiculous." It's fine when it's about stuff that is ACTUALLY true, but I make perfect sense here and you're the one with the absurd system.

Betty: Whatever. I don't know why this bothers you that much.

blah blah. Allen and Betty hug and make up.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure on the type aspect, but it's dumb to think he would come back with a "status update." And even if she did think that, after about 2 minutes she probably should have just checked out, to keep the line moving; it's just walnuts, lol. And people in the line just stood there? Heh, that's bullshit. If someone was holding me up so that their friend could go get some walnuts, I'd be pissed as shit. So, maybe he should have alerted her beforehand that he was going to try to find them, and that she should just check out. I hate accommodating for peoples' incompetencies and mistakes; if you forgot walnuts, oh well, but don't burden me. So, I have no clue what the fuck Betty was thinking; Allen was right, albeit not explicit enough to make it clear what Betty needed to do.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And they shouldn't need an update to proceed with checking out; christ, are people that dumb? Let's just sit idly until we get an update on his walnut pursuit, so that we can feel good moving on with the line. Yeah, that makes SO much sense. If he takes too long, you assume he's still looking, or just fucking around, and you keep the line moving because the world doesn't revolve around you and your goddamn walnuts. So, someone should have spoken up, and Betty shouldn't have been so languid about the whole thing. It's pretty simple deductive logic; nothing to do with being sensitive to the people or cashier.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My response: We forgot to get walnuts? Oh well, fuck it.

And I'd be somewhat amused over the little spat if I saw it happening. What won't people argue over these days?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Betty fails at life. I've been in the exact situation. My friend forgot something and left me with his stuff in line while he went to go grab what he forgot. I just kept letting people one by one jump ahead of me until he got back. So I didn't really lose my place in line nor did I hold up people.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a hilarious argument. I forgot something last time I was at the store, so I left my bag at the front, went back to get it, and suddenly there were 10 people in line all with carts piled full like they were stockpiling before the zombie revolution. grrrr..

That being said, Allen's reasoning sounds like mine. However, if they weren't there I'd have just left (unless they were absolutely integral to what we were making).
    IEE

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type is a moran? Because that's what Betty is.
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
    What type is a moran?

LSI?
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow. I'm surprised so many people identify with Allen.
    Fwiw, Betty is actually very intelligent.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord View Post

LSI?
    Hmmnn...that's my mother's type. Maybe you're on to something.

I can never get enough of that picture.
    INFj

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

betty is a basket case, allen should drop her

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    wow. I'm surprised so many people identify with Allen.
    Fwiw, Betty is actually very intelligent.
    I identify with both of them. I wouldn't leave without walnuts. Otherwise, I'd have to come back later and waste gasoline to get walnuts. Unless they were a lousy price. In that case, forget the walnuts.

I disagree with Betty in that she considered holding up the line. Buy everything else, then stop by the 10-items-or-less checkout after finding the walnuts.

I disagree with Allen because he didn't check back. I would check back before asking a salesperson to check in the back. I'd tell Betty I hadn't found any and whether they were important enough to wait for a salesperson to check the back room.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Allen was wrong to take so long but there should have been a point where Betty should have just went ahead and paid instead of holding up a line of people. If Allen were actualy just chit chatting away with people and not finding any walnuts then I'd have been pissed that I'd have waited at all, much less long enough to hold up a line. My common sense tells me that if I'm in line and I don't see Allen walking towards me with the walnuts, then I'd just go ahead and pay, no need to hold up everyone. So, I can identify with both sides to a small extent. Though, if I'd been Betty I'd have asked the cashier to get on the PA system and say "Allen, hurry up and bring the damn walnuts" just to embarass him a bit for holding people up...lol.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to me that Betty's some sort of ethical infantile .. EII? :-p She seems pretty unsure of herself when it comes to making practical decisions without some sort of direction. And I think Fi-ego is probable considering the focus on Allen being "insensitive". Allen seems bewildered that Betty didn't just act of her own accord while he did the same, which I think points towards him being an irrational and probably a Si-valuer as well. And the part about him mentioning that he felt bad about dismissing the staff is kinda funny, because I'd imagine that would annoy an Fi-ego who might be thinking "But what about me waiting?!" :-p And his comebacks are all about what the logical thing was to do - that Betty wasn't thinking logically etc. So yeah .. I'm guessing that Allen's ILE and Betty's EII.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case this wasn't clear, Betty didn't continue to hold up the line. By the time Allen saw her, she had checked out completely.
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case this wasn't clear, Betty didn't continue to hold up the line. By the time Allen saw her, she had checked out completely.
    She still held it up for too long.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any more takers before i reveal the type identities of these 2 characters?
    EII; E6(w5)

i am flakey

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all I can say is, I can't believe their conversation about this went on for so long afterward. I don't have the time or patience for that. Nip it in the bud and move on, people.
    IEI-Fe 4w3