View Poll Results: In a debate, my main objective is...

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • ... to win at all costs [I知 a Delta]

0 0%
  • ... to arrive at a high truth [I知 a Delta]

2 18.18%
  • ... to learn something from my challenger [I知 a Delta]

6 54.55%
  • ... something else [please explain]. [I知 a Delta]

3 27.27%

Thread: Deltas: What is your goal in a debate?

Creepy-

Default Deltas: What is your goal in a debate?

Please, only Deltas respond to this poll [there is a similar poll in each quadra痴 section]

In a debate, my main objective is...
    ... to win at all costs [I知 a Delta]
    ... to arrive at a high truth [I知 a Delta]
    ... to learn something from my challenger [I知 a Delta]
    ... something else [please explain]. [I知 a Delta]

ETA: The word "debate" [and "argument," for that matter] is not intended to connote a fight. For the purpose of this discussion, I intended "debate" to mean a discussion in which disagreement is expressed.
    Last edited by female; 01-26-2009 at 03:43 PM.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No vote yet while I puzzle this out. I think I go into most debates expecting for me and whomever to sound out what it is they believe and why it is they do. From that, maybe I can get an idea of what's important to them, just as they can perhaps figure that out about me. I don't see it as something proceeding towards a conclusion of who is right, or even merely more right. I like to think of it as an exchanging of facts and appraisals. If it devolves into a purely ideological argument, I cease to be interested. I like when people don't have their egos invested in what they have to say.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it would be to learn something. But debating? blah. I'm afraid there's not much in life I care about enough to passionately debate it. So then maybe my real answer would be to get the other person to be quiet and leave me alone...

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    No vote yet while I puzzle this out. I think I go into most debates expecting for me and whomever to sound out what it is they believe and why it is they do. From that, maybe I can get an idea of what's important to them, just as they can perhaps figure that out about me. I don't see it as something proceeding towards a conclusion of who is right, or even merely more right. I like to think of it as an exchanging of facts and appraisals. If it devolves into a purely ideological argument, I cease to be interested. I like when people don't have their egos invested in what they have to say.
    Sounds like #3 to me. Changing the fourth word to "about" would make it fit better, though... wouldn't blame you for choosing #4.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main objective through argument is to ensure that everyone has the exact, correct information, and to ensure that there are no misunderstandings.
    Wond'ring aloud, How we feel today. Last night sipped the sunset, My hand in her hair. We are our own saviours, As we start both our hearts, Beating life Into each other. ~Ian Anderson

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to set things straight, to give correct information, to clarify things, to voice and defend my own stance, to seek and defend the truth, to point out lies and inconsistencies (if present), to broaden my viewpoint and gain new perspectives, to evolve a situation, to make progress.
    Last edited by Park; 01-26-2009 at 06:49 AM.
    展hether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main objective is usualy to understand the point of view of another person and preferablly to reach some common ground on which we both can agree.
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I guess it would be to learn something. But debating? blah. I'm afraid there's not much in life I care about enough to passionately debate it. So then maybe my real answer would be to get the other person to be quiet and leave me alone...
    +1
    First eliminate every possible source of error. Thence success is inevitable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm afraid there's not much in life I care about enough to passionately debate it.
    lol

I feel like this on a lot of topics. Or I don't feel well-informed enough to really have a strong opinion. I do 'debate' with people, though, primarily just to have an interesting discussion. When it seems like we're both just repeating our points over and over again and not really listening to each other, or the discussion isn't progressing, then it's just arguing and I get bored. Those are the debates I don't like.
    IEE

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To make the other person see how illogical they are or to have fun, depending on whether I'm right or wrong.

ESTj
    1w2 sp/so 1-2-6
    Brilliand's Younger Sister
    Squishy's Older Sister

Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Yay fluid mechanics Serious Name's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    to set things straight, to give correct information, to clarify things, to voice and defend my own stance, to seek and defend the truth, to point out lies and inconsistencies (if present), to broaden my viewpoint and gain new perspectives, to evolve a situation, to make progress.
    This. Though I sometimes argue just to see if I can piss the other person off, eventually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm. I chose the "higher truth" one because I think there are levels of truth, and if two people disagree then hopefully each has at least some level of truth to his/her own viewpoint, and by listening to one another the best outcome could be either using both perspectives to reach the next level, or at least each understanding the other's level.

That's a pretty abstract description, though. I'm trying to think of examples.

The only example that comes to mind is that a few weeks ago, I was at the bar, and the manager came over to chat. We ended up on the Gaza/Israel conflict somehow, and it became obvious that his sources had led him to certain conclusions while mine had gone in a different direction. I kept topics as generic as possible because I sensed that our basic humanitarian attitudes were aligned, but to briefly overgeneralize our stances: I thought Israel's response to the rockets was inordinate and ultimately a war crime, and he thought that since the Gazans fired the rockets that set off the battle and continued to fire the rockets, that Israel was merely defending itself until the threat was removed. Both of us were knowledgeable about the recent (as in, the past 70 years) history, and so we mentioned bits of that ... but we finally stalled out because I had read that the number of rockets per day fired by Gaza into Israel was 4-5, and he'd read that it was 80. Obviously such a discrepancy in facts was insurmountable given that we were just acquaintances chatting in a bar, so we smiled awkwardly and moved onto other topics.

But to give another example, my SO and I are both planning on going back to school. He's decided his degree, but I still have the same indecisiveness that I've had for nearly 20 years, so we've been hashing it out at great length. He's a computer geek, and sees both my competence in dealing with computers and my relative lack of enthusiasm for chasing down glitches, so even though going into computer science appealed to me, he told me Saturday that I shouldn't go that direction because I'm not willing to work 40 hours a week at it and then come home and spend more hours doing geeky stuff. I initially took this the wrong way, because in lieu of finding myself inexplicably seized by a passion for doing something by which I can earn money, I'm just going to do what seems to earn me the easiest paycheck and then use my earnings to leverage my interests on my own time: why SHOULD I come home and do work off the clock? But that wasn't what he was getting at. From his perspective, because both hardware and software continues such quick development, a person can't go far in IT unless they are highly motivated to keep up with all the changes. This translates into a near-obsessive behavior of reading up on these developments, and wanting to "play" with them to figure them out. And my SO certainly does this - while he loves his other pursuits, he probably spends 100 hours a week total on the computer; whereas since I'm in front of a computer for 40 hours a week at work, I very rarely boot my computer up at home. He wasn't trying to imply that I'm incapable of doing an IT job - but he wanted me to understand that IT jobs come to involve your leisure time as well. Once I got past the part that sounded like something I should take personally, I agreed that it doesn't sound like what I want to go into. And in the process, I came to understand my SO a bit better.

I hope these are good examples. It's hard to describe a debate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, it is a combination of arriving at a higher truth and learning something new from the challenger.

As a process: learning something new from the challenger that will eventually lead to the higher truth --which some would call common ground.

I do not like debates; I like discussions.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    SLI
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    It's hard to describe a debate!
    Not for you it seems.
    展hether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be totally honest...if I hear their opinion I will either agree w/ it, or I will argue until I am incredibly frustrated and/or they finally agree. I feel like both people should be able to see if something is logical or not, regardless of your personal opinions. So when someone has this weird illogical skewed biased view it REALLY pisses me off and I feel the need to clear it all up.

I will admit if I've been wrong if someone can logically convince me of that of course, but people w/ skewed views can't usually do that.
    Hi! I'm an ENFP. :-)