View Poll Results: In a debate, my main objective is...

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • ... to win at all costs [I’m a Beta]

2 18.18%
  • ... to arrive at a high truth [I’m a Beta]

2 18.18%
  • ... to learn something from my challenger [I’m a Beta]

2 18.18%
  • ... something else [please explain]. [I’m a Beta]

5 45.45%

Thread: Betas: What is your goal in a debate?

Creepy-

Default Betas: What is your goal in a debate?

Please, only Betas respond to this poll [there is a similar poll in each quadra’s section]

In a debate, my main objective is...
    ... to win at all costs [I’m a Beta]
    ... to arrive at a high truth [I’m a Beta]
    ... to learn something from my challenger [I’m a Beta]
    ... something else [please explain]. [I’m a Beta]

ETA: The word "debate" [and "argument," for that matter] is not intended to connote a fight. For the purpose of this discussion, I intended "debate" to mean a discussion in which disagreement is expressed.
    Last edited by female; 01-26-2009 at 02:42 PM.

Creepy-male

an Beta?

Looks like someone got lazy with the Alpha poll~

(But that's cool, Betas are our bitches anyway.)

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    an Beta?
    Fixed.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know. Just voted randomly. Depends on the topic and person. Usually I want to push them to see how confident they really are in their positions, and whether or not a little criticism will deter them. If they get all uppity, unnerved or self-righteous, I don't bother any further.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the only quadra that isn't quick to choose "high truth" is Delta. Probably everyone seeks knowledge in argument... the question is what they want to learn about. Delta->people, Alpha->creative belief systems, Gamma->raw, relevant facts...

Based on the pattern of argument belonging to intuition, I'll suggest that Beta argues to learn about emotions and spirituality. That suggestion seems a little bizarre, though, so I'd best wait for more evidence...

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    Just voted randomly.
    ...Kind of defeats the purpose?...

Depends on the topic and person. Usually I want to push them to see how confident they really are in their positions, and whether or not a little criticism will deter them. If they get all uppity, unnerved or self-righteous, I don't bother any further.
    If argument belongs to thinking, on the other hand, then munenori is an oddball...

(chain of reasoning: this suggests -> blocked with -> matches the Alpha emphasis -> Gamma emphasis is on the other thinking -> munenori is a feeler (I think), so argument belonging to thinking explains him/her having an unusual view)

Further brainstorm: Thinking is to argument as feeling is to...?

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    Please, only Betas respond to this poll [there is a similar poll in each quadra’s section]
    Other quadras might like debates, BUT... "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee!"
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sigma View Post
    Other quadras might like debates, BUT... "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee!"
    Funny thing is, Delta didn't like debates either. Could it be related to the Democratic/Aristocratic dichotomy?

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Funny thing is, Delta didn't like debates either. Could it be related to the Democratic/Aristocratic dichotomy?
    But the question wasn't whether you like debates or not, but what your goal is when you find yourself in one. The dislike people have expressed is unrelated to the (essence of the) question.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    But the question wasn't whether you like debates or not, but what your goal is when you find yourself in one. The dislike people have expressed is unrelated to the question.
    my choice is to learn something from my challenger
    "What is love?"
    "The total absence of fear," said the Master.
    "What is it we fear?"
    "Love," said the Master.

I chose Love

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the question wasn't whether you like debates or not, but what your goal is when you find yourself in one. The dislike people have expressed is unrelated to the question.
    But it is related to what I'm thinking about, which transcends threads.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's one thing to think outside the question and broaden/explore the topic, but some people actually think they are answering the question by doing this.

Q: What is your main objective in a debate?
    A: I don't like debates.

“Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's one thing to think outside the question and broaden/explore the topic, but some people actually think they are answering the question by doing this.

Q: What is your main objective in a debate?
    A: I don't like debates.

Fair enough. But only a beta can answer this question directly (and I already responded to the Alpha thread).

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    Fair enough. But only a beta can answer this question directly (and I already responded to the Alpha thread).
    I wasn't referring to you specifically. I was explaining the principle and sharing an observation.

Creepy-

I don't know. Just voted randomly. Depends on the topic and person. Usually I want to push them to see how confident they really are in their positions, and whether or not a little criticism will deter them. If they get all uppity, unnerved or self-righteous, I don't bother any further.
    It sounds almost like for you, argument can be more about the interplay of two people than just their ideas [but correct me if I'm wrong]. So in the course of an argument you’re evaluating the other person and his reactions as much as you’re evaluating his argument?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sometimes I push to win because I want to win and dominate my opponent. Other times, I defer. Other times I couldn't care less. Usually I'm too lazy, it's not worth my time. I once got into a really heated discussion about the choice of c-section births and how prevalent they've become, with my EIE aunt. I'm fuzzy with my you know, I couldn't remember all the statistics I'd read which I was trying to throw at her and she was equally emotional so it was intense. I only bothered in the first place because she's my aunt and I believed in my stance on the subject (which is kind of rare actually. I'm usually pretty malleable with what I believe but I do have some things that are non-negotiable, usually based on experience though, never on book knowledge). When I'm right and I know I'm right, I like to bet people. But it's always in competitive fun. I only bet when I know I'm right so I always win! I love to win.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it's more complicated than any of these options. When I'm in a debate over something, it usually means I'm at least reasonably convinced of my position, so I will generally do a lot to ensure that I am heard and that my opinion is giving fair credence; if I didn't have some degree of certainty, I would be sitting back and listening to other people talk. So yes, I often go to extremes trying to prove my point. However I'm by no means ever 100% set on something I purport, unless I have absolutely irrefutable evidence for it. Also a lot of times I get caught up emotionally in a debate, or simply want my side of the argument to be heard and considered, and so I will continue to defend my position until after the fact, at which point I will take into account the things my opponent has said and maybe reformulate my position then.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by songofsappho View Post
    It sounds almost like for you, argument can be more about the interplay of two people than just their ideas [but correct me if I'm wrong]. So in the course of an argument you’re evaluating the other person and his reactions as much as you’re evaluating his argument?
    Exactly. A lot of Fe stuff comes into play; and it's just as "logical" as any Ti "structure" to their argument. I can look at someone's facial movements when they're stating their position and know to a pretty accurate degree what their intentions behind saying it are. Why bother with someone who is looking for conciliatory bullshit, just saying things to annoy you, or throwing context-less information out as if it's supposed to be taken seriously.

It annoys me when Te valuers get caught up in what the person is saying, because it seems like they take an argument at face value, assessing them as if they all have equal weight (initially). I prefer to see if the argument is "worth" listening to before I actually bother with them. It's why sometimes I'll cut people off with curt responses and they'll think I'm evading, or say "lol @ you" online, because I just see it's absolutely worthless to deign to entertain them.

Of course I want their ideas correct, and if they present correct ideas from an "incorrect" disposition (motivations), I will listen to the ideas, but still mock them in some way for their "less-than-noble" motivations. And seeing how people react to pokes, pushes, and the like (so to speak, lol) reveal so much about their position.

'alksdfjnlbs'oaekfl;ns'kp
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glamourama View Post
    maybe some people's reactions are less about their actual position and more about not wanting to seriously respond to/deal with your challenging, absolutist, mocking tone?
    Maybe you just can't handle it.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ftr, the "pushes" aren't really about mocking, taunting, etc. It's more about just gauging where the other person is at, to see if they're serious, genuine, etc. Not simply bullying.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol. whatever makes you feel good.
    lol, who's assigning motivations now?
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BOOM! Smack his face into the ambience of the place.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, I think you get a kick over feeling like you've somehow gotten the better of someone.
    Depends. If they're acting like a moronic ass, then yes. Or if I'm in a bad mood. I wouldn't say this is by any means my natural goal.

ftr, most of the times when you reply to something I've said, you talk to me like I'm a total idiot, whether you mean to come across that way or not. so then I just don't want to take you seriously.
    When have I replied to you? A few times on the wiki and in some type thread about Denzel Washington? I don't know; I criticize things, but it's mostly to get them correct.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, cool, that helps.

and in that "ashtonian typings" thread. it may only be a few times but it was enough. I guess it's the overly critical and condescending feel of your posts that turns me off. "Get it?" or "Get it right!" or "Stop doing/thinking this or that" etc. it's too demanding and absolutist I guess.
    Ok, I apologize. My antics are rarely every directed at a specific person; I just usually add stuff in for effect.

to answer the thread,

"to win at all costs" .... sounds too cutthroat, like it's saying I would be okay with doing something shady or with cheating in order to win, and I wouldn't ... unless the opposing side was cheating too, but then it would become a contest about who can cheat the best.
    That can be annoying. It's like, once you get dragged down to that level, it's lose-lose. The other person ultimately "loses" though, as they are stuck in whatever cycle has them needing use those tactics so consistently.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLPDeyy_5U

LOL, the guy with the red shirt cracks me up.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe some people's reactions are less about their actual position and more about not wanting to seriously respond to/deal with your challenging, absolutist, mocking tone?
    It reveals something about their opinion of their position, which may not be the truth of the matter, but the truth of the matter may actually be beside the point.

LII-Ne

- Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    ILE 8w9
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yLPDeyy_5U

That is a good video! Good education for self defense.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
    --Theodore Roosevelt

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    -- Mark Twain

"Man who stand on hill with mouth open will wait long time for roast duck to drop in."
    -- Confucius

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is to arrive at a high truth, although this is misleading. Minor, but misleading nonetheless.

Essentially, one of three things can happen in terms of the truth being reached, to conclude an argument between an intellectual adversary and myself:

1. I convince the opposition that my point of view is correct.*
    2. The opposition convinces me that their point of view is correct.
    3. I realise, that through argument, not only is their point of view skewered, but so is mine, and thus a "higher truth" is reached.**

Generally, I learn something about my opponent as I argue, but this is not my sole aim; it tends to occur naturally. I never want to "win at all costs", although often people who are of a weaker temperament than myself will accuse me of desiring such. They are wrong.

When I'm winding people up, it is just that - there are no ulterior motives. If I'm arguing irrationally, it's normally because I'm playing around with the person. This is normally recognisable by my use of profanity. On incredibly rare occasions, I'm so frustrated with a point of view that, rather than criticising it, I'll swear about it.

*Let it be known that I always believe my point of view to be correct (otherwise to hold it would be illogical), so when I convince my opponent of "my point of view", I see this as convincing them of the truth.
    **This event best characterises the option I chose on the poll.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I never want to "win at all costs", although often people who are of a weaker temperament than myself will accuse me of desiring such. They are wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    If I'm arguing irrationally, it's normally because I'm playing around with the person. This is normally recognisable by my use of profanity. On incredibly rare occasions, I'm so frustrated with a point of view that, rather than criticising it, I'll swear about it.
    I could have said these same things. (Even though I am probably much less openly argumentative than you) (<-- I realize this is kind of relative though)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally only get involved in debates when someone is spreading and/or believing in nonsensical bullshit and I need to educate them. There are a few subjects out there that people are passionate about on an idealistic level, but could have their facts off. Like dumbass redneck republicans not even knowing what their own party platform may be. Or atheists who are (justifably) skeptical of religion, but not keen on religious/ecclesstical histories (or on the flipside, theists who've got their own heads up their asses about religious history). Once I have spread a few more facts into a debate, I'll do something else. It's rare than I even do this anymore though. Debates are boring.

Banned
    TIM
    D-LSI-Ti 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My goal is to get people to agree with me.

wants to be a writer. silverchris9's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It starts out to prove I'm right, then it becomes to prove I'm not wrong, then it becomes to figure out what I think. I always know what I think better when I have to say it (that's not 100% accurate, but it's close.)
    Not a rule, just a trend.

IEI. Probably Fe subtype. Pretty sure I'm E4, sexual instinctual type, fairly confident that I'm a 3 wing now, so: IEI-Fe E4w3 sx/so. Considering 3w4 now, but pretty sure that 4 fits the best.

Yes 'a ma'am that's pretty music...

I am grateful for the mystery of the soul, because without it, there could be no contemplation, except of the mysteries of divinity, which are far more dangerous to get wrong.

I've been waiting for you Satan's Avatar
    TIM
    sle sp/sx 845
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

most people just talk a load of shit. you can't learn anything from them.