Thread: Parkour and free running

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Parkour and free running

Different things, first and foremost. The aim in parkour is to move as efficiently from one place to the next. The aim in free running is to use one's environment to produce a kind of mobile artistic form.

Free running is probably Ne/Si, based on the philosophy. It takes out the Se efficiency in overcoming obstacles, and makes some fun out of them.

Parkour generally interests me more. The overview on the wiki is quite interesting:

Parkour is the art of escape and a physical activity that is difficult to categorize. It is often categorized incorrectly as a sport or an extreme sport; however, parkour has no set of rules [lack of Ti], team work, formal hierarchy [again, lack of Ti, so unlikely Beta], or competitiveness [seems contradictory to Se]. Many non-practitioners regard parkour as an extreme sport. Most experienced traceurs think of parkour as a discipline closer to martial arts. According to David Belle, "the physical aspect of parkour is getting over all the obstacles in your path as you would in an emergency. You want to move in such a way, with any movement, as to help you gain the most ground on someone or something, whether escaping from it or chasing toward it." Thus, when faced with a hostile confrontation with a person, one will be able to speak, fight, or flee. As martial arts are a form of training for the fight, parkour is a form of training for the flight. Because of its unique nature, it is often said that parkour is in its own category.

A characteristic of parkour is efficiency. Practitioners move not only as fast as they can, but also in the most direct and efficient way possible; a characteristic that distinguishes it from the similar practice of freerunning, which places more emphasis on freedom of movement, such as acrobatics. Efficiency also involves avoiding injuries, short and long-term, part of why parkour's unofficial motto is être et durer (to be and to last). Those who are skilled at this activity normally have an extremely keen spatial awareness [something Se egos tend to have].

Traceurs say that parkour also influences one's thought process by enhancing self-confidence and critical-thinking skills that allow one to overcome everyday physical and mental obstacles. [I found this very interesting - it seems to most reflect an SLE's point of view.] A study by Neuropsychiatrie de l'Enfance et de l'Adolescence in France reflects that traceurs seek for more sensation and leadership than gymnastic practitioners.
    There's evidently a lot of Se in there (I've bolded what is relevant), and it proves that Se valuers don't just want to fight all the time. More interestingly though, is the seeming conflict with Se. There is a clearly confrontational attitude in Se ego types at times, and this seems to downplay that.

I'd be interested to know what you think about this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a thread on this in the Delta subforum some time ago, pointed at ISTps. And I have to say I absolutely fell in love with the idea. I now have several links to various websites and have watched all kinds of YouTubes ... I'm hoping to soon take my normal "walk-in-the-woods-including-up-in-the-trees" to new dimensions when the weather stops being so stoopid cold.

I've always been very physically fearless. I started climbing the fence and exploring the neighborhood by myself when I was only 5 (and come to think of it, I don't know how my Mom didn't notice I was gone so much of the time ...). I also have a memory of climbing one of the neighbor's trees when I was 7 or 8, and way the fuck up at the top a branch broke off and I fell, as if in slow motion as I somehow managed to grab branches on the way down, almost all the way to the ground. The next day, I climbed the tree again, this time reaching the top. And in high school, some friends and I used to climb a water tower and swim in it (in pitch-black darkness, too).

The closest I've ever come to being arrested (I was 22 or 23) was for trespassing on a construction site ... I was at a public festival, drunk, and got separated from my group, so when I wandered past a half-built high-rise condominium, without any forethought I jumped the fence and started climbing around on it. Well, someone saw me and called the cops, but I managed to get down before the cops ID'd me, so when they caught me jumping back over the fence, they reasoned I was so drunk that I must have just wandered in to take a pee (and I kept my mouth shut!). The truth was more like I was so drunk that my inhibitions were lowered to where if I wanted to play gymnastics on dusty scaffolding, I wasn't going to tell myself "better not!" The cops did make me call somebody to drive me home, and my SO of the time got a big kick out of exaggerating to everybody at the bar we frequent that he had to bail me out, even though I never went to jail.

To be slightly more on topic, I'd say Parkour sounds more Si, and freerunning sound more Se.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    To be slightly more on topic, I'd say Parkour sounds more Si, and freerunning sound more Se.
    Efficiency vs Style

Each has it's place, and I like the idea of both, but I'd devote myself more to Efficiency.

Anna, let's go practice.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that both of you, as self-typed SLIs, believe Parkour is more Si than Se.

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna go with Si, since I do a bit of Parkour with my friends (nothing massive yet)....but hey, I was in the circus for 8 years on and off too.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    I was in the circus for 8 years on and off too.
    Makes sense.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parkour is by far more interesting....but free running is still neat to see.
    SEE Unknown Subtype
    6w7 sx/so

[21:29] hitta: idealism is just the gap between the thought of death
    [21:29] hitta: and not dying

Creepy-male

I'd agree with Parkour being more Si, as it's all about using your body as a unit to achieve fluid, efficient movement past obstacles.

I imagine Se as being and apple, while Si is more akin to a water droplet; both at the moment of impact with the earth.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Makes sense.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    Parkour is by far more interesting....but free running is still neat to see.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    I'd agree with Parkour being more Si, as it's all about using your body as a unit to achieve fluid, efficient movement past obstacles.
    In that case, if it really is Si, I'm inclined to say that Parkour is Delta.

Creepy-male

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    In that case, if it really is Si, I'm inclined to say that Parkour is Delta.
    So we're typing concepts now? Lolz !!!!!

But yeah, I'd agree with you on this. The Parkour-Gods frown upon "needless competition" (can I have some -pression?). Seems pretty Delta to me.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulanzon View Post
    So we're typing concepts now? Lolz !!!!!
    Definitely. Why not?