Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: Could this be used for a test

  1. #1
    I'm back, assholes! Herzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    TIM
    SLE
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

    Default

    1) order

    2) emotion

    3) action

    4) danger

    ESTp
    , Se-sub
    8w8-3w8-7w8 sx/sx

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Ich bin ein ubel glied
    Posts
    8,198
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    My opinion: too vague a method to be effectual.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,294
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Edited for gayness.
    ENTp

  4. #4
    snegledmaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,900
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    1) behavior

    2) emotion

    3) invention

    4) body

    IxFp

  5. #5
    Kim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Posts
    6,857
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

    Default

    1) behaviour

    2) emotion (although I'm not sure how you see these two relating)

    3) invention

    4) danger

    ENFp
    “Let us forget with generosity those who cannot love us”
    ― Pablo Neruda

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    694
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    IEI subtype

  7. #7
    aka Slacker Slacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North Korea
    TIM
    IEE
    Posts
    8,819
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    behavior, emotion, invention, body
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain


    You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

  8. #8
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,635
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    behaviour

    procedure

    action

    danger


    ENTj
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  9. #9

    Default

    behaviour

    emotion

    invention

    body

    INTp that feels like shit.

  10. #10
    UDP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East Coast West Coast Dirty South
    TIM
    LSE
    Posts
    14,827
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I
    N
    T
    j


    you figure it out.

    Pre-2013 post are written with incomplete understanding.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    180
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The 4th question is problematic. Ni is about foresight and cause-and-effect relationships. Sensing danger is but a limited aspect of Ni.

  12. #12
    Creepy-pokeball

    Default

    Theyre all related and thus not choosable for me =/ like order and baheavior... theyre interrelated :x

  13. #13
    Creepy-

    Default

    It is very vague... I'm going to do my best to go on the words and not the functions they imply.

    1) order v behaviour (not entirely sure, though)

    2) procedure v emotion

    3) invention v action

    4) danger v body

    4>2>1>3

    Intuitive-Ethical Intratim

    But I think it's really too vague to use as a tool just yet.

    edit: Perhaps I should mention I picked order only because I eliminated behaviour?

  14. #14
    Park's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Beyond the blue horizon
    TIM
    SLI
    Posts
    13,088
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    1) order (not quite certain about this one)

    2) procedure

    3) action (for just a little, since to me it's closely related to invention)

    4) body

    ISTp
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

  15. #15
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,704
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    I like this test, if only more options were available horizontally and vertically then it could be used for a test widespread.

    1) behaviour

    2) emotion

    3) invention

    4) body

    ENFP.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  16. #16
    Cone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,717
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    1) behavior

    2) procedure

    3) action

    4) danger
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    This thing doesn't work.

    Nevermind.

  18. #18
    In Transition Raver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Posts
    3,704
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo
    This thing doesn't work.

    Nevermind.
    It could work, if you just add in more options. Like compare 3 instead of 2 should fill in some gaps. Also, add in more areas of options to choose from instead of 4 put like 6. If you work out what fits in where, it could be an awesome test. Don't give up so easily, I see potential in this test you've made.
    "Nothing happens until the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change."

    Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-4w5-9w1

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,763
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Don't worry, I've made much better tests than this before.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    Which one do you lean more easily towards for each:

    1) order v behaviour

    2) procedure v emotion

    3) invention v action

    4) danger v body



    Also state you type.
    I had bookmarked this test ages ago...
    Time to review and deconstruct this test.
    The most plausible intented meanings:

    1) order (Ti) v behaviour (Fi)

    2) procedure (Te) v emotion (Fe)

    3) invention (Ne) v action (Se)

    4) danger (Ni) v body (Si)

    At least Herzy and Cone got their types "right".
    According to this test FDG could be ENTJ - what I actually think he most likely is...

    Anyway, do you think this approach could be refined?
    Hugo/Blake had many good ideas - and I think some of his tests could have potential for further development.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson


  21. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    Which one do you lean more easily towards for each:

    1) order v behaviour

    2) procedure v emotion

    3) invention v action

    4) danger v body



    Also state you type.
    I had bookmarked this test ages ago...
    Time to review and deconstruct this test.
    The most plausible intented meanings:

    1) order (Ti) v behaviour (Fi)

    2) procedure (Te) v emotion (Fe)

    3) invention (Ne) v action (Se)

    4) danger (Ni) v body (Si)

    At least Herzy and Cone got their types "right".
    According to this test FDG could be ENTJ - what I actually think he most likely is...

    Anyway, do you think this approach could be refined?
    Hugo/Blake had many good ideas - and I think some of his tests could have potential for further development.
    yeah, you're definitely ESFj.

  22. #22
    Don't forget the the thehotelambush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    TIM
    LII
    Posts
    6,633
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    Which one do you lean more easily towards for each:

    1) order v behaviour

    2) procedure v emotion

    3) invention v action

    4) danger v body



    Also state you type.
    I had bookmarked this test ages ago...
    Time to review and deconstruct this test.
    The most plausible intented meanings:

    1) order (Ti) v behaviour (Fi)

    2) procedure (Te) v emotion (Fe)

    3) invention (Ne) v action (Se)

    4) danger (Ni) v body (Si)

    At least Herzy and Cone got their types "right".
    According to this test FDG could be ENTJ - what I actually think he most likely is...

    Anyway, do you think this approach could be refined?
    Hugo/Blake had many good ideas - and I think some of his tests could have potential for further development.
    This is pretty similar to the inventory test thing on socionics.com, except focusing on functional preferences. It's an interesting idea, but I'm sure you could come up with endless variations that may or may not give one's true type. Like Joy pointed out, the only way to tell if it works is to give to people not familiar with socionics, whose types are known. I'd be interested to see a whole slew of tests "tested" for accuracy on a large sample of people. Then we might have a clear idea which work best.

    Anyway, without thinking too hard about it I chose order, procedure, invention, body.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,969
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    4) danger (Ni) v body (Si)
    That doesn't make any sense. Why would Ni types gravitate towards danger? Are Ni types supposed to be thrill-seekers?

  24. #24

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,969
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    At least Herzy and Cone got their types "right".
    According to this test FDG could be ENTJ - what I actually think he most likely is...
    I wouldn't put much stock into this 'test'. Whatever type someone is, the idea of ignoring everything you know about a person and then saying, okay, we'll reduce type to four pairs of words, and pretend that that's suddenly more reliable than anything else in the world....It's this weird temptation to do that that keeps popping up on the forum; doesn't make much sense to me.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    4) danger (Ni) v body (Si)
    That doesn't make any sense. Why would Ni types gravitate towards danger? Are Ni types supposed to be thrill-seekers?
    They are subconsciously. I guess that is where the victim attitude emerges too.
    These word pairs do help to pin down the quadra values, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    I wouldn't put much stock into this 'test'. Whatever type someone is, the idea of ignoring everything you know about a person and then saying, okay, we'll reduce type to four pairs of words, and pretend that that's suddenly more reliable than anything else in the world....It's this weird temptation to do that that keeps popping up on the forum; doesn't make much sense to me.
    Well how did you get your type in the first place?
    For most of us a socionics/MBTI test gave the initial typing at least, and then perhaps there were some contradictions.
    A very simple test with four word pairs is hardly meant to be absolutely decisive, but it helps to guide your thinking process.
    Anyway, the point is what is reliable then?
    I am not terribly impressed by the type descriptions either...

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    yeah, you're definitely ESFj.
    OK, "deconstructing" the test was perhaps unnecessary and patronizing, but the point remains: is it possible to test for the functions in a less obvious way that would not entice people to choose "the correct ones" according to the type they identify with? Or on a larger point: how to make the types appear spontaneously and instinctively?
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson


  26. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,969
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    4) danger (Ni) v body (Si)
    That doesn't make any sense. Why would Ni types gravitate towards danger? Are Ni types supposed to be thrill-seekers?
    They are subconsciously. I guess that is where the victim attitude emerges too.
    According to what? How do you know? ILIs, for one, are supposed to warn against dangers, not seek them.
    Desiring to not focus on the present, the body, the here-and-now, isn't the same as seeking danger, even subconsciously.
    As to the whole victim thing, well, that has more to do with being dual with Se types and having strength in the area of imagination. It doesn't translate into thrill-seeking behaviors.

    Actually, SLI types are the ones most likely to do things that other people might consider dangerous, like riding motorcycles and that sort of thing. You have to pretty confident in S (either Si or Se) to actually be the kind who's likely to do these sorts of things.

    Even if Ni types are subconsciously drawn to danger, it wouldn't come out in a test like this, because the person takes the test consciously.

    Another problem with these kinds of things, and many of the older Hugo stuff (and stuff by Socionists in the same vein) is that it totally ignores the fact that Ne and Ni are both more into invention than action.

    Some people tend to think of the I/E pairs of functions as being completely disconnected. I know there's a lot of stuff written in Socionics that tends in that direction, but it doesn't fit with real life.

  27. #27

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,969
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    BTW, lest my response seems overly harsh, I do recognize that Hugo's view is representative of one possible view of Socionics. There is more than one Socionics, and as long as people recognize that, it's possible to consider all of them as potentially valid, as only statistical research on intertype relations could ever resolve these different viewpoints. (Okay, sorry, I know I've said that about 50K times. )

  28. #28
    Hot Message FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Freiburg im Breisgau
    TIM
    ENTj
    Posts
    15,635
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by Blake
    Which one do you lean more easily towards for each:

    1) order v behaviour

    2) procedure v emotion

    3) invention v action

    4) danger v body



    Also state you type.
    1 order

    2 emotion

    3 action

    4 body
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

  29. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    yeah, you're definitely ESFj.
    OK, "deconstructing" the test was perhaps unnecessary and patronizing, but the point remains: is it possible to test for the functions in a less obvious way that would not entice people to choose "the correct ones" according to the type they identify with? Or on a larger point: how to make the types appear spontaneously and instinctively?
    you clearly didn't understand my point. apparently you still don't.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    yeah, you're definitely ESFj.
    OK, "deconstructing" the test was perhaps unnecessary and patronizing, but the point remains: is it possible to test for the functions in a less obvious way that would not entice people to choose "the correct ones" according to the type they identify with? Or on a larger point: how to make the types appear spontaneously and instinctively?
    you clearly didn't understand my point. apparently you still don't.
    Perhaps you shall kindly explain your point. My telepathic powers are not fully developed yet.
    Anyway the trouble is that people tend to reduce the types into simple "platonic essences".
    Hence INTJ is a nerd with weird ideas - and therefore Dioklecian is obviously INTJ.
    ESFJ is an incoherent rambler perhaps? - and I guess that would make me an ESFJ.
    ISTP is a great plumber, but not much of an intellectual, etc...
    If you see the primary purpose of socionics as a means of categorizing the various oddities of human behavior, this system works fine, but if you are of the opinion that the socionics type is most likely genetic in origin, and yet everyone of us is completely free to behave as they wish, things do get more complicated. Now if you were to provide me with a deeply analytical and thoroughly original INTJ answer on the question of the nature of socionics type, I would be most grateful. Currently you are not being terribly useful.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson


  31. #31

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    4) danger (Ni) v body (Si)
    That doesn't make any sense. Why would Ni types gravitate towards danger? Are Ni types supposed to be thrill-seekers?
    They are subconsciously. I guess that is where the victim attitude emerges too.
    According to what? How do you know? ILIs, for one, are supposed to warn against dangers, not seek them.
    But that is exactly the point. ILIs are preoccupied with detecting and avoiding danger - and would therefore be able to provide warnings and advice that ESFPs would often find useful, because their natural style of behavior could again draw them to dangerous situations. Perhaps the test is poorly formulated, but that only begs the question how to improve the test.


    Desiring to not focus on the present, the body, the here-and-now, isn't the same as seeking danger, even subconsciously.
    As to the whole victim thing, well, that has more to do with being dual with Se types and having strength in the area of imagination. It doesn't translate into thrill-seeking behaviors.

    Actually, SLI types are the ones most likely to do things that other people might consider dangerous, like riding motorcycles and that sort of thing. You have to pretty confident in S (either Si or Se) to actually be the kind who's likely to do these sorts of things.

    Even if Ni types are subconsciously drawn to danger, it wouldn't come out in a test like this, because the person takes the test consciously.

    Another problem with these kinds of things, and many of the older Hugo stuff (and stuff by Socionists in the same vein) is that it totally ignores the fact that Ne and Ni are both more into invention than action.

    Some people tend to think of the I/E pairs of functions as being completely disconnected. I know there's a lot of stuff written in Socionics that tends in that direction, but it doesn't fit with real life.
    The I/E pairs are hardly completely disconnected, but there must be a qualitative difference rather than just quantitative or the whole concept of socionics type becomes meaningless - and we are better off with a simple Introversion/Extraversion scale. What the difference is in essence is at this stage hard to say, but personally I found for example this exposition of the functions by Transigent quite insightful. Introverted Feeling defines my attitudes and motivations, Extraverted Feeling is primarily concerned about detecting and manipulating the feelings of other people. Hence a Fi person would say with instinctive confidence: He is a good person/full of shit. Whereas from a certain extraverted feeling point of view morality often appears to consist of essentially arbitrary judgments of personal preference. Judgments that probably actually are mainly rooted in our moral intuitions - or instinctive and mainly subconscious "emotional decision making centers" in the brain, and thus are not ideally suitable for deeper rational analysis.


    Ordered Subjective Apprehension
    Source: Feelings
    This function is responsable for: Feeling any type of emotion or connection.
    What it does: Instinctual subjective value judgments and reactions to things, connection of yourself to another person or thing.
    If this ever ceased to function: You would be equivalent to a computer and have no attachments to anything.
    Practical outcome: Awareness of Emotions

    Ordered Subjective Perception
    Source: People
    This function is responsable for: Determining internal state from emotions, actions, and reactions.
    What it does: Notices people as something worth attention, and references the various details of their reactions to determine their state.
    If this ever ceased to function: You would not notice that a person is something different then a toaster, or that a smile is different then a frown.
    Practical outcome: Awareness of People

    Functions According to Transigent
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson


  32. #32

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    8,578
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul
    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousSoul

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    yeah, you're definitely ESFj.
    OK, "deconstructing" the test was perhaps unnecessary and patronizing, but the point remains: is it possible to test for the functions in a less obvious way that would not entice people to choose "the correct ones" according to the type they identify with? Or on a larger point: how to make the types appear spontaneously and instinctively?
    you clearly didn't understand my point. apparently you still don't.
    Perhaps you shall kindly explain your point. My telepathic powers are not fully developed yet.
    Anyway the trouble is that people tend to reduce the types into simple "platonic essences".
    Hence INTJ is a nerd with weird ideas - and therefore Dioklecian is obviously INTJ.
    ESFJ is an incoherent rambler perhaps? - and I guess that would make me an ESFJ.
    ISTP is a great plumber, but not much of an intellectual, etc...
    If you see the primary purpose of socionics as a means of categorizing the various oddities of human behavior, this system works fine, but if you are of the opinion that the socionics type is most likely genetic in origin, and yet everyone of us is completely free to behave as they wish, things do get more complicated. Now if you were to provide me with a deeply analytical and thoroughly original INTJ answer on the question of the nature of socionics type, I would be most grateful. Currently you are not being terribly useful.
    for one thing, my conclusion that you were ESE was not based on the fact that you are an "incoherent rambler," but rather that your limited and flawed understanding of what socionics is and what it can be used for, as you indicated in this first post, is very similar conceptually to other behaviors i've seen from ESEs. i don't think explaining my actions further would yield any fruitful discussion.

  33. #33

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    992
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Could this be used for a test

    Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    for one thing, my conclusion that you were ESE was not based on the fact that you are an "incoherent rambler," but rather that your limited and flawed understanding of what socionics is and what it can be used for, as you indicated in this first post, is very similar conceptually to other behaviors i've seen from ESEs. i don't think explaining my actions further would yield any fruitful discussion.
    I am most likely ESFJ actually.
    I used to test as INFP, and thought of myself as INFJ for a long time.
    Sometimes it is good to trust one's own judgment too.
    And believe me, I am perfectly well aware that this overtly literal analysis has not been terribly useful.
    I was just hoping that someone might be able to push the limitations of socionics...
    It would be interesting to hear what it is that you find interesting in socionics though.
    "Arnie is strong, rightfully angry and wants to kill somebody."
    martin_g_karlsson


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •