View Poll Results: What did/do you think of it?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • I haven't seen it but I can sense the underlying holistic awesomeness that is Clint.

3 20.00%
  • I haven't seen it and political correctness won't permit me to see this excellent character portrait

0 0%
  • I have seen the movie and it was the greatest movie there has been or will ever be.

1 6.67%
  • I have seen this movie and it was fantastic!

11 73.33%

Thread: Gran Turino

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gran Turino

Your thoughts? Fe PoLRmania?
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although the acting was terrible, I loved the story and that, above all else is what makes me think this movie is fantastic.

First thought that came to mind for Clint's character was ISTp. Fe-PoLR indeed.

Also, I believe it is spelled 'Gran Torino'.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Greeter View Post
    Although the acting was terrible, I loved the story and that, above all else is what makes me think this movie is fantastic.

First thought that came to mind for Clint's character was ISTp. Fe-PoLR indeed.

Also, I believe it is spelled 'Gran Torino'.
    I thought the barber deserved an oscar!

And I'm not interested in your 'facts'!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    I thought the barber deserved an oscar!

And I'm not interested in your 'facts'!
    Oh yes, I should not generalise. The barber was hilarious. The whole banter between the two and then with the kid (their names totally escapes me) was wonderfully entertaining.

Gran Torino.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL - I glanced at this too quickly, and with the little alt-text popup on the thread-list page, so I thought it was
    Gran Turismo - FePOLR?

And I thought to myself, well, yeah, a game about racing that adheres very closely to the actual physics of the real cars and tracks involved *could* be sorta avoidant of Fe, although I don't know why it *specifically* would ... oh wait, this is about that Clint Eastwood movie. Nevermind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs and cars, geez!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it worth watching? I considered it today.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was worth the ticket. I've liked pretty much every Eastwood directed film though.
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    Your thoughts? Fe PoLRmania?
    " Get Off My Lawn "
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's spelled Gran Turismo.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

acually no its "Gran Torino" in reference to the Ford Gran Torino which normally feautured a ford 351 windsor (small block V8 ford motor) if you dont believe me go to any movie theater and look at the billboard for the movie and ull see the car in the background.

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Winterpark View Post
    It's spelled Gran Turismo.
    STFU you mediterranean prick sonofabitch barber!
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just saw it. Very good IMO. Powerful themes... Eastwood is brilliant—in directing and acting.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really was a moving story.

And only an ISTp could make sarcastic racist comments so fucking hilarious, lol.

(aims a gun at some asian gangbanger): "We used to stack fuckers like you five feet high back in Korea... we'd use you for sandbags."
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol forgot about that one
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's interesting how much of Eastwood's work is often associated (and fits well) with the ISTp mentality, considering the fact that he's an ISTj. I concur with Expat and others about his westerns and the rest of his SLI roles, but I'm also quite curious what would make an LSI present themselves in a such a way and have such a strong affinity for their quasi-i and the opposite quadra. Or perhaps I should consider an alternative typing.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    LOL - I glanced at this too quickly, and with the little alt-text popup on the thread-list page, so I thought it was
    Gran Turismo - FePOLR?

And I thought to myself, well, yeah, a game about racing that adheres very closely to the actual physics of the real cars and tracks involved *could* be sorta avoidant of Fe, although I don't know why it *specifically* would ... oh wait, this is about that Clint Eastwood movie. Nevermind.
    I thought this too LOL!

<3 Grans Turismo.. don't care about movies these days.. attention span too small to sit and watch one
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's interesting how much of Eastwood's work is often associated (and fits well) with the ISTp mentality, considering the fact that he's an ISTj. I concur with Expat and others about his westerns and the rest of his SLI roles, but I'm also quite curious what would make an LSI present themselves in a such a way and have such a strong affinity for their quasi-i and the opposite quadra. Or perhaps I should consider an alternative typing.
    That.

4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But then again, people such as strrrng are just small and annoying brainless bugs compared to Expat and a few others who share my opinion about Eastwood being LSI.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But then again, people such as strrrng are just small and annoying brainless bugs compared to Expat and a few others who share my opinion about Eastwood being LSI.

Why couldn't Eastwood be ISTp? And why is he ISTj?

I am just curious; I have not decided on a type for him yet.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pair yourself with the *expert* to give your opinion merit. You're an idiot, and you don't understand socionics.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Eastwood is Beta > Delta for sure... ISTj> ESTp .... Ti / Se seems very apearant.
    EII 4w5

so/sx (?)

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't as as action filled as I thought it was going to be but it made up for that by being hilarious.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought it was a fantastic movie, although some of the secondary actors could've acted better.

And yes, the ford Gran Torino is definitely one sexy fucking car.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LokiVanguard View Post
    I thought it was a fantastic movie, although some of the secondary actors could've acted better.
    Agreed. The "**********s" appeared a bit forced at times (tao's little tantrum after being locked in the basement comes to mind), but Eastwood's acting made up for it ten-fold, not to mention the plot itself, themes and directing in general.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God those asians are horrible at acting, I can act better than that.
    (D)IEE~FI-(C)SLE~Ni E-5w4(Sp/Sx)/7w8(So/Sp)/9w1(sp/sx)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    1)
    A girl who I want to date, asks me: well first tell me how tall you are?
    My reply: well I will answer that, if you first tell me how much you weigh!

2)
    A girl I was dating said she was oh so great at sex etc, but she didn't do blowjobs.
    My reply: Oh I'm really romantic etc, I just will never take you out to dinner.

Pretend like it's the weekend Banana Pancakes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic movie.

I agree on the Fe POLR.
    ILE-Ti
    6w7 sx/sp (low level of confidence)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NSFW BARBER SCENE

Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not someone who I would see as "Fe-PoLR." The character is definitely Se > Si and Fe > Te valuing. Seems rather oblivious and disinterested in Ne to be their dual, and mostly unfocused on Fi. That video Ryu posted is much more indicative of Fe seeking than it is anything else, especially coming from a rougher variant of LSI, and reflects friendliness compared the hostile kind of interaction he had with the "spooks" on the sidewalk and his "hand" gun, which is another highly uncharacteristic method for someone who has SLI values. His whole persona is rough, hostile, "take no crap," even with Tao, the Asian kid he befriends. He wants to dominate, and wants to influence this more socially calm, respectable, mostly non-beta kid, to be aggressively assertive. He is nice with the ladies, one of many fairly reasonable distinctions for someone with a Ti lifestyle, unaffected by the positive aspects of largely delta values, especially Fi with Ne: being able to see the individual potential and uniqueness of others, and respecting them for who they are, and not stepping over offensive boundaries. A character that is far removed from "the dual of an IEE." As the movie develops, Eastwood's character is much more drawn into the limelight and simple Fe interactions here and there, than what what would be expected of an SLI character. He is hostile, stiff, and logically ruled, and adds his own touch of rough and gruff playfulness throughout that is generally characteristic of some LSIs, and plainly reflecting beta values. Has a strict opinion for lots of things, and he doesn't come off very "serious" Te/Fi in character. Rather he seems old fashioned, and programed by his old every day life. A great manifestation of an Se creative-LSI is something like sitting around on your judgments, proudly verifying things, intolerant and unrelying on others input, proving your independence, and a disregard for health and safety. I can't see how someone with socionics experience would favor SLI over LSI.

Okay, here is a bit of Ni play here, but I would not typically see someone like Clint Eastwood as planning a movie with a more SLI-ish character, as his movies, including this one, seem to have more beta themes, and he seems to favor playing out his personality in this role, which is universally seen as LSI for good reasons. That being said, I think Eastwood is one of those, a little wrapped up in himself, not interested a whole lot in portraying various personalities. I do see him though trying to put into the movie some SLI associated stereotypes, some of which sort of half-stick, like being a fix-it man, but this mainly shows how the character is brought up and that he is out of touch with current times. The part where he fixes the dryer and everyone is wondering what his problem is, is one aspect I could see as basically out of touch with Fe. Though there is no reason I see for the character to be stereotypically anything else over LSI. Ti dominance with beta values are plainly apparent. The main difference of how Fe is used, between he and Fe-PoLRs, is that he is not uncomfortable around Fe, but that in the movie he seems rather uncomfortable in general. It is usually a beta character or person who stands out from all the others. A bit self centered in getting involved in influencing the environment, a sort of "I'm the king" mentality, and from my experience does not do social blending all that well, compared to types that do not value Se. An manifestation of Se would be to subconsciously use the valued EJ function in sort of a contrast to others use, naturally serving more independently and forcefully.
    Last edited by 717495; 04-06-2010 at 04:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not really up for expounding on why I think Kowalski is SLI over LSI. I have debated, on the Workshop, my views and have seen the arguments for LSI, which could be equally valid. Nonetheless, I prefer my interpretation, since it makes more sense to me personally, just as LSI for others makes more sense to them, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by polikujm View Post
    I can't see how someone with socionics experience would favor SLI over LSI.
    If you have found some objectivity in evaluating the psychological construct of an individual that is independent of not only their background and environment, but your own as well, please, do tell. Since, apparently, your experience holds more merit than mine.
    Ceci n'est pas une eii.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beta ST. Aggressive, tactless, and strong-willed = Se-ego > Fe-PoLR.