Thread: Question for Fe creatives

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question for Fe creatives ...

Generally speaking, would you say you notice the emotional content of a conversation/situation before anything else? Like say someone popped up in your face out of the blue and fired a question at you ... what would hit you first - the words themselves or the intent behind them?
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Generally speaking, would you say you notice the emotional content of a conversation/situation before anything else? Like say someone popped up in your face out of the blue and fired a question at you ... what would hit you first - the words themselves or the intent behind them?
    I wouldn't necessarily say that I notice it before anything else, as I tend to be more Ni focused. But as far as emotional content compares to things like tangible appearance, direct meaning, etc., I would definitely say yes. It's like, when a person/situation presents itself, I immediately start monitoring what I see as the internal energy going on behind it. It doesn't even have to be as simple as intentions behind a person's words; I could see some cars passing by and gets 'pulses' about what is 'really' going on with them, if that makes sense. Granted, Si or Ni will significantly color the manner in which these impressions are interpreted, but nonetheless. With people, it's always a radar. But it's effortless; when they speak to me, perform an action, anything... I have no sense of what they are actually doing, but I am still 'watching' them, so it's more of why they're doing it or something. Like a spinning top... it's spinning, right? That's the Te of it, the tangible activity. But the energy inside of it that is changing and affecting its motions... that's what Fe sees.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

I had words here once, but I didn't feed them Khola aka Bee's Avatar
    TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm seeing them face-to-face, the intent always hits me first. This is more difficult online- I find it much harder to read people on, for instance, msn, because pretty much all of my ability to read people seems to rely upon their body language.
    Hello, my name is Bee. Pleased to meet you .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bee View Post
    If I'm seeing them face-to-face, the intent always hits me first. This is more difficult online- I find it much harder to read people on, for instance, msn, because pretty much all of my ability to read people seems to rely upon their body language.
    Nice to have confirmation on this. I've gotten the vibe in non face to face communications with duals that this was a big issue for them. If I'm not in front of them it's almost impossible to have an actual conversation. It's a problem for me too, I want SEIs to be reading me just as much as you need to read people.
    ILE - Ti.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think bee hit the answer straight on.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diljs View Post
    Nice to have confirmation on this. I've gotten the vibe in non face to face communications with duals that this was a big issue for them. If I'm not in front of them it's almost impossible to have an actual conversation. It's a problem for me too, I want SEIs to be reading me just as much as you need to read people.
    Thank goodness I'm not alone! I was starting to get a complex!! Thankyou!! <3

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i rely on this somewhat, too. i don't think this is entirely related to Fe really, although i suppose it could be. some people are marvelous at getting their intent across through online communications. with other people i find that conversations can miss something -- or i can completely miss the "tone" -- if they're not in front of me.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    i rely on this somewhat, too. i don't think this is entirely related to Fe really, although i suppose it could be. some people are marvelous at getting their intent across through online communications. with other people i find that conversations can miss something -- or i can completely miss the "tone" -- if they're not in front of me.
    I'm fairly certain it is entirely related to Fe ego. Maybe you learned it from one? I myself value the ability but am naturally terrible at it.
    ILE - Ti.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diljs View Post
    I'm fairly certain it is entirely related to Fe ego. Maybe you learned it from one? I myself value the ability but am naturally terrible at it.

possibly, but then how do you explain things like some SLIs here talking about "phone phobia"? that's another arena where information is unclear. things like eye contact are often considered essential to knowing whether someone is telling the truth or not, and this is on a really basic level, not one that i think can possibly be "absolutely 100%" functionally related. if that's the case then anyone who prefers face to face communication over internet communication is somehow necessarily Fe. that doesn't make any sense.
    6w5 sx
    model Φ: -+0
    sloan - rcuei

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In person and on the phone: I find "reading people" easy and automatic. I definitely notice intent more than content.

On the forum: Well, naturally I have constructed concepts of most everyone who posts here regularly. I think meaning and tone comes clearly usually, and there is the context of threads and posts to help.

Chat: If it's someone I know irl I usually find reading them easy and automatic. If it's someone I don't know irl, I may start encountering problems in figuring out tone, intent, etc.

I do think that the invention of emoticons for online communication might have something to do with (obviously). I think for types, the rest of it has something to do with as well. And that is all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by implied View Post
    possibly, but then how do you explain things like some SLIs here talking about "phone phobia"? that's another arena where information is unclear. things like eye contact are often considered essential to knowing whether someone is telling the truth or not, and this is on a really basic level, not one that i think can possibly be "absolutely 100%" functionally related. if that's the case then anyone who prefers face to face communication over internet communication is somehow necessarily Fe. that doesn't make any sense.
    Which SLIs exactly? I'm looking at a current thread about SLIs where IAnnAu summed up their viewpoint nicely, and it is quite different:

http://the16types.info/vbulletin/sho...6&postcount=22

I'm not saying anything is absolutely 100%, but in generally I'd relate what Bee said to Fe ego types. The way that others pay attention to eye contact, body language, etc is different than a pure Fe type. I could be wrong but I'm guessing that you've LEARNED the behaviors that you're identifying with.
    ILE - Ti.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I do think that the invention of emoticons for online communication might have something to do with (obviously). I think for types, the rest of it has something to do with as well. And that is all.
    Mos Def.
    ILE - Ti.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Like say someone popped up in your face out of the blue and fired a question at you ... what would hit you first - the words themselves or the intent behind them?
    Both, and I agree with implied.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    Meat Popsicle
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over the phone is ok- you can still hear intonations in the voice.....on msn is so..clinical.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Over the phone is ok- you can still hear intonations in the voice.....on msn is so..clinical.
    Agreed.
    4w3-5w6-8w7