Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which types are better at certain subjects?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    Say a person does X subjects and does well to great on them. Some more so than others. But what about that is avoided with the exception that was taught to be avoided. Example would be like, "OMGs Im like a girl from the 50s, I cants do's math!" So is there a subject that any specific type feels super uncomfortable learning? Or am I on crack?
    I suppose there is a factor of "it depends" here. It seems to be difficult to choose whether INTjs like or dislike mathematics. Well, I would say that it all depends on the teacher, the book, whether the benefits outweigh the negatives, whether one needs it currently (interests aren't isolated), etc. What perhaps may be type-specific is any discomfort experienced far into the learning process, where one knows all of the factors involved. In that case, I would say that preferences correlate with biases and long-term goals, i.e. a feeling type may dislike mathematics because there are little benefits toward whatever feeling types value.
    Binary or dichotomous systems, although regulated by a principle, are among the most artificial arrangements that have ever been invented. -- William Swainson, A Treatise on the Geography and Classification of Animals (1835)

Creepy-pokeball

Exactly.

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by Jadae
    Quote Originally Posted by ishysquishy
    Self-expression is probably the most frustrating task I could undertake.
    This was what I was trying to get at. Is there a correlation with type and LEAST LIKELY point of strenth?

Edit to strengthen:

Say a person does X subjects and does well to great on them. Some more so than others. But what about that is avoided with the exception that was taught to be avoided. Example would be like, "OMGs Im like a girl from the 50s, I cants do's math!" So is there a subject that any specific type feels super uncomfortable learning? Or am I on crack?
    You could be right. But I think the weaknesses are going to be more obscure than the content dealt with in this thread.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fever
    given just a little bit of effort, a lot of things come pretty easy for me. i have a great memory when i comes to cramming for tests and even memorized the entire Consitution once and aced the test...never missed not one! but i don't like to just memorize for the sake of memorizing....so it is a must i take it apart first and reconstruct it so that i know how it works and thoroughly understand it.]
    Me too, know what you mean, I often find myself in a situation where I just can't accept information in my head if I don't understand it. I might need a liitle more time in the learning process, because of it. That's Ti
    (Introverted Thinking)

from toronto with love ScarlettLux's Avatar
    TIM
    Beta sx 3w4;7w8
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh! I very much agree with all said above, last three posts.

I don't agree with the descriptions that I used to read saying that N's are great at memorization.. I am! But like the others, I always need to GRASP the concept fully. That's why I take so much time reading a textbook or something, so I can totally understand everything

Dress pretty, play dirty ღ
    Johari
    Nohari

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that's Introversion. Introverts have to look at one thing in a thousand ways, as oppossed to Extraverts, who look at a thousand things in one way.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not necessarily only Introverts, you mean any introverted function. And Extraverts use introverted functions as well. When a function is introverted it appears to form correlations and associations with past experiences and memories, when a function is extraverted it correlates with actual experience, what is going on in the here and now.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    I think that's Introversion. Introverts have to look at one thing in a thousand ways, as oppossed to Extraverts, who look at a thousand things in one way.
    I haven't got much problems with statement like this - but please do not whine when we stereotypize sensors then.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just responding to the topic..

I know an INFJ who is really brilliant in anything science or mathmatics related.

I was more of a truant than a student in school but the topics I absorbed with little to no effort were english, sciences, and history (except for the exact dates and names).

My worst subjects were: Math, Home Ec, and Gym. But that had a lot to do with not showing up for class. I always used to "forget" my gym clothes or faked sick to get out of it.

I was never very good at anything that required memorizing exact things like dates, names or formulas. But anything that was just about a concept and applying that concept was pretty easy for me. If it was creative, I was into it pretty much.

I have had to deal with formulas and access related stuff at work and its like I have to just force my brain to think about these things. I can get them, they are not even hard...its just forcing myself to do it that's hard.

I don't think actual grades reflect intelligence though. Many very bright kids are just bored with school and look lazy so people give up on them without realizing they just need a different approach.
    Polly
    ENTP

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    I haven't got much problems with statement like this - but please do not whine when we stereotypize sensors then.
    What kind of stereotypes? That quote doesn't imply intelligence. Actually, you could very well just call Introversion "psychotic". It sucks sometimes. Introverts require more time to open their mind, and if not careful,
    can go down the wrong path.

And that was pretty much a quote from Jung, anyway.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

TIM
    Ne-IEE 6w7 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    What kind of stereotypes? That quote doesn't imply intelligence. Actually, you could very well just call Introversion "psychotic". It sucks sometimes. Introverts require more time to open their mind, and if not careful,
    can go down the wrong path.

And that was pretty much a quote from Jung, anyway.
    Well, when I stereotype sensors or intuitives, I don't imply that someone is more intelligent, I'm just talking about an ability exclusive to an intuitive. Except for the intelligence system post, which I made a big misjudgement.

Also, Those with Se and Ne try to connect many things and believe many contradictory things at once. While those with Ni and Si try to look at things from their own perspective and believe only one thing by looking at it in my different ways.

That means an ENTj would see things more like an ISTp than an ENTp.
    “We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the hand.” Randy Pausch

Ne-IEE
    6w7 sp/sx
    6w7-9w1-4w5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An introvert and I were talking about personalities and how our parents personalities had an impact on us. I used the dynamics of socionics and pretty little diagram to explain. The point of the conversation was me and this introvert are very similar in a lot of ways. I was looking at our family unit and those who surrounding us to show that we actually had very similar environments.

My parents: ESFj and ISTp
    Siblings: ENFj and ESTp
    Me: ENTp

His parents: ISFp and ESTp
    Sibling: I/ENFj
    Him: INFj

I was showing him, that even though I was an ENTp and him an INFj. We had such similar environments, that is why maybe that's why there were so many parrallels between us.

I thought it was a really good example on how extraverts vs. introverts think.

I presented a generalized view which I believed to be interesting but quite possibly not accurate. We were just kind of hypothesizing at the time so for me, I didn't need all kinds of details and proof. That comes when you try to actually prove your theory but I wasn't. I was just sharing my idea based on what I had perceived.

He immedately saw barriers and started poking holes in my theory. His opinion, was that you can't even have an opinion like that because there are just so many details you have to look at.

My opinion was, I will look at the details when necessary, but when just spewing out theories and ideas, all that other stuff isn't necessary....its just a conversation.

I found he didn't really want to think that way, he was so focused on the details of the things that could undermine my theory.

This where a lot of my ENTpness kicks in because I don't really see barriers. I just see obstacles that can be overcome. So was actually pretty frustrated with the conversation. To me, you can't move on to having all the ideas that I do, if you mired in the details of what can undermine you or all the possibilities that might undermine you.

Its not like I don't take the negative stuff into consideration, its just that I won't let them have an impact on me as much as someone else might.

Any who, my point is I thought it was actually a pretty good example of introverted vs. extroverted thinking with maybe a bit of J thrown in too.
    Polly
    ENTP

I guess I fit the stereotype for INTjs:

I love math
    I love physics
    I love programming

I dislike language
    I hate memorization

--

I go to an engineering school, and I have never seen such a large collection of INT*s! The school is very one dimentional in that manner.

I have a few INTp friends that are SCARILY good at math and programming. They pick extremely complex ideas FAST. However, other INTps I know could give a shit about school. I think some INTps interests change too frequently for them to get really involved with a subject. Even the genius INTps I know spend little time doing school work. They seem to somehow just know things... quite baffling.

--

Nobody has said anything about ISTjs.

ISTjs are the ideal accountant.
    INTj
    "... the present is too much for the senses, too crowding, too confusing, too present to imagine" - RF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12