Thread: Paulo Coehlo's Inventory of Normality (INFp-speak)

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paulo Coehlo's Inventory of Normality (INFp-speak)

Inventory of normality

I decided to conduct a survey among my friends about what society considers to be normal behavior. What follows is a list I have made of some of the absurd situations we face in day-to-day life, just because society sees them as normal:

1] Anything that makes us forget our true identity and our dreams and makes us only work to produce and reproduce.

2] Making rules for a war (the Geneva Convention).

3] Spending years at university and then not being able to find a job.

4] Working from nine in the morning to five in the afternoon at something that does not give us the least pleasure, so that we can retire after 30 years.

5] Retiring only to discover that we have no more energy to enjoy life, and then dying of boredom after a few years.

6] Using Botox.

7] Trying to be financially successful instead of seeking happiness.

8] Ridiculing those who seek happiness instead of money by calling them people with no ambition.

9] Comparing objects like cars, houses and clothes, and defining life according to these comparisons instead of really trying to find out the true reason for being alive.

10] Not talking to strangers. Saying nasty things about our neighbors.

11] Thinking that parents are always right.

12] Getting married, having children and staying together even though the love has gone, claiming that its for the sake of the children (who do not seem to be listening to the constant arguments).

12ª] Criticizing everybody who tries to be different.

14] Waking up with a hysterical alarm-clock at the bedside.

15] Believing absolutely everything that is printed.

16] Wearing a piece of colored cloth wrapped around the neck for no apparent reason and known by the pompous name necktie.

17] Never asking direct questions, even though the other person understands what you want to know.

18] Keeping a smile on your face when you really want to cry. And feeling sorry for those who show their own feelings.

19] Thinking that art is worth a fortune, or else that it is worth absolutely nothing.

20] Always despising what was easily gained, because the necessary sacrifice and therefore also the required qualities are missing.

21] Following fashion, even though it all looks ridiculous and uncomfortable.

22] Being convinced that all the famous people have tons of money saved up.

23] Investing a lot in exterior beauty and paying little attention to interior beauty.

24] Using all possible means to show that even though you are a normal person, you are infinitely superior to other human beings.

25] In any kind of public transport, never looking straight into the eyes of the other passengers, as this may be taken for attempting to seduce them.

26] When you enter an elevator, looking straight at the door and pretending you are the only person inside, however crowded it may be.

27] Never laughing out loud in a restaurant, no matter how funny the story is.

28] In the Northern hemisphere, always wearing the clothes that match the season of the year: short sleeves in springtime (however cold it may be) and a woolen jacket in the fall (no matter how warm it is).

29] In the Southern hemisphere, decorating the Christmas tree with cotton wool, even though winter has nothing to do with the birth of Christ.

30] As you grow older, thinking you are the wisest man in the world, even though not always do you have enough life experience to know what is wrong.

31] Going to a charity event and thinking that in this way you have collaborated enough to put an end to all the social inequalities in the world.

32] Eating three times a day, even if youre not hungry.

33] Believing that the others are always better at everything: they are better-looking, more resourceful, richer and more intelligent. Since its very risky to venture beyond your own limits, its better to do nothing.

34] Using the car as a way to feel powerful and in control of the world.

35] Using foul language in traffic.

36] Thinking that everything your child does wrong is the fault of the company he or she is keeping.

37] Marrying the first person who offers you a position in society. Love can wait.

38] Always saying I tried, even though you havent tried at all.

39] Putting off doing the most interesting things in life until you no longer have the strength to do them.

40] Avoiding depression with massive daily doses of television programs.

41] Believing that it is possible to be sure of everything you have won.

42] Thinking that women dont like football and that men dont like interior decoration.

43] Blaming the government for everything bad that happens.

44] Being convinced that being a good, decent and respectful person means that the others will find you weak, vulnerable and easy to manipulate.

45] Being convinced that aggressiveness and discourtesy in treating others are signs of a powerful personality.

46] Being afraid of fibroscopy (men) and childbirth (women).

47] And finally, thinking that your religion is the sole proprietor of the absolute truth, the most important, the best, and that the other human beings in this immense planet who believe in any other manifestation of God are condemned to the fires of hell.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why is it INFp speak?
    Looking for an Archnemesis. Willing applicants contact via PM.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari
    http://www.mypersonality.info/ssmall/

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen Coehlo typed as INFp somewhere or other and I have seen these sorts of lists made by other INFps strangely enough. Of course that is not to say other types cannot have similar sentiments.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no problem sharing the same sentiment and most of them I deny in my life. I dunno about Coelho being INFp, his only book I like (actually its one of the best books I have ever read and one of the few I am able to reread second time) is "Alchemist". The rest didnt leave any impression on me and I read quite a few.

I still dont see why this should be INFp talk, maybe its NF talk? Or maybe im closer to INFp's than I thought . One way or another spotting absurdity in everyday life is quite ENFp for instance.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been away from Socionics for a long time, so I don't really have that much of an opinion. I don't like most of Coehlo's writing, but thought this one was pretty cool. I think it may have been Expat who typed him as IEI. I don't know enough about him to argue with it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not questioning his type, id say INFp could make sense. I just don't see that much INFp in the message or should I say i don't see anything exclusive to INFp. Im not trying to argue you or undermine you, my question was genuine, why do you think it is INFp, if it is just couse Expat said Coelho is INFp its fine, if it is your personal opinion it is fine also, my question was basicly to know the reason.
    I personally think the message is quite generic and could be attributed to most types.

ENFp - Fi 7w6 sp/sx
    The Ineffable IEI
    The Einstein ENTp

johari nohari

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really have an answer for you, lol. I simply put "INFp-speak" there because Expat said he was IEI and I needed to justify posting it in this subforum, lol. I don't know what to tell you except that obviously you may disregard the title if it bothers you?

ETA: Actually, the more I read it, the more I see maybe what compelled me to post it in this particular forum as opposed to "Anything Goes" - namely a sense of the observations coming from someone on the "outside looking in" - the "outsider" theme is a common leitmotif among IEI writers; see: Kafka. Also, among Ni-dominant writersl see: Hesse and Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. (ILI). A tendency towards indicting society for alienating him from (what the author percieves) is his inner humanity is a theme of introvert intuition; writers of other types are more likely to feel less estranged from the proceedings around him. Writings of ENFps and INFjs emphasize commonalities between people and experiences and put more credence on the necessity of fostering relationships. I should say here that I don't give much credence to Socionics itself anymore, so take all of this with a grain of salt. They are, by my own admission, sweeping generalizations and subjective impressions.
    Last edited by Animal; 01-08-2009 at 08:11 PM.

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, yeah I liked that one. And this one:
    24] Using all possible means to show that even though you are a normal person, you are infinitely superior to other human beings.
    LSE 4w5 sp/sx

TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not so much the LSE part. It's the LSE i combination with 4w5 that's trippy.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm, I read those and thought they seem trite and not very well thought out. Now some of them I definitely agree with but I dunno, even the act of making a list like this is basically like saying "I'm so cool, so different, so against the grain of society". blech. I mean, look at #37: "Marrying the first person who offers you a position in society. Love can wait." Honestly, who does that? Who really thinks that? Nobody that *I* know! and many of the others are just... weird. What's up with #29? Does anyone in the Southern hemisphere actually decorate their Christmas tree with "cotton wool" (which, incidentally is a contradiction in terms. either it's cotton or wool or perhaps a blend but there's no such thing as cotton wool) to represent snow?
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Creepy-

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    hmmm, I read those and thought they seem trite and not very well thought out. Now some of them I definitely agree with but I dunno, even the act of making a list like this is basically like saying "I'm so cool, so different, so against the grain of society". blech. I mean, look at #37: "Marrying the first person who offers you a position in society. Love can wait." Honestly, who does that? Who really thinks that? Nobody that *I* know! and many of the others are just... weird. What's up with #29? Does anyone in the Southern hemisphere actually decorate their Christmas tree with "cotton wool" (which, incidentally is a contradiction in terms. either it's cotton or wool or perhaps a blend but there's no such thing as cotton wool) to represent snow?
    +1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

25] In any kind of public transport, never looking straight into the eyes of the other passengers, as this may be taken for attempting to seduce them.
    Actually, I did this once, and the skeezy guy started up a conversation with me, and then propositioned me. Maybe I'm just a weirdo magnet, I don't know.
    IEE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tiny_dancer View Post
    Actually, I did this once, and the skeezy guy started up a conversation with me, and then propositioned me. Maybe I'm just a weirdo magnet, I don't know.
    haha this reminds me of this guy I knew in college. INTp. He would STARE at me during class. We had this table we had to sit around so we were basically facing each other (thus making it easy for him to stare) but honestly, it was creepy! I knew he was dating this girl seriously and I couldn't help but wonder why the heck he was staring at me. I wondered if it was some kind of weird come-on. But he never really talked to me. He would do it every time during class. Well, years later I got to know him and his wife after my husband and I were married and we became friends. And I knew then that that's just the way he is. Nothing creepy about him. So odd at the time though!
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I rather violate many, if not most of these measures of "normality" on a daily basis. Not without a good deal of angst some of the time, though. I can understand the purpose of these kinds of mores/etiquettes, designed to keep us all contained like good little sheep...

But at least a few times a day it always occurs to me as so pointless and shallow. Superficial and false. Yet, when I break convention, always in a kind of thrashing moment of frustration, there's often a horror on the faces of those around me that it can literally stop me in my tracks. I'm certainly not immune to all such obvious disapproval. Strangers are one thing, but people I like, want to get closer to... ouch.

I'd have to say that I agree that a list like this is IEI-speak, because we do dwell on these kinds of distinctions and seem to be constantly grappling with convention. Existential questions, quality of life, absurdity, etc.

Also extremely SO-variant last in enneagram terminology, I might add.

I approach this one from the other side... I don't make eye contact because I don't want to inadvertently challenge or attract/encourage the attentions of some of the VERY mental people that ride the trains.
    socio: INFp - IEI
    ennea: 4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Twain
    Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.