Thread: Just a Lil' VI-Curious

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Just a Lil' VI-Curious

Is there any truth to the stuff?

It all seems to be too subjective and, frankly, absolutely ridiculous that someone could be typed simply by looking at them.

So make me an argument worthy of all the allusions in this post!

I'd really like to know.
    Wond'ring aloud, How we feel today. Last night sipped the sunset, My hand in her hair. We are our own saviours, As we start both our hearts, Beating life Into each other. ~Ian Anderson

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can remove 12-14 types from consideration just by looking at them.

it is proven fact.
    D-SEI 9w1

This is me and my dual being scientific together

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great. Explanation?
    Wond'ring aloud, How we feel today. Last night sipped the sunset, My hand in her hair. We are our own saviours, As we start both our hearts, Beating life Into each other. ~Ian Anderson

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all with matching a person's looks to a certain quadra, and then you decide if they are ethical or rational. That is all it is to me, although you are probably looking for a more wholesome rationale.
    D-SEI 9w1

TIM
    Introvert sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A TeNi White LIE View Post
    Great. Explanation?
    mustache
    Moonlight will fall
    Winter will end
    Harvest will come
    Your heart will mend

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sooo what sorts of things tip you off so well?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by munenori2 View Post
    mustache
    Apart from mustaches, of course.

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sooo what sorts of things tip you off so well?
    You know, that I am not sure I can quantify. I just get a vibe from people's photographs and actions what quadra they are in. It can't be reduced to a checklist for me.
    D-SEI 9w1

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    It's about undertones and expressions. I'm not great at VI, but I do believe that if you type enough people it gets easier.
    go dual go
    D-SEI 9w1

Well it works, so it must be. It just isn't very reliable. There are problems like:

One type has different looks, with interconnecting continuums of these looks.

There's lot of data to be learned to make the right connections, and person posesses only a fraction of it.

You have to look at the right features.

Ethnicity

Etc.

---
    Expressions add lot of information to this, because they are more similar than the different looks.
    ...the human race will disappear. Other races will appear and disappear in turn. The sky will become icy and void, pierced by the feeble light of half-dead stars. Which will also disappear. Everything will disappear. And what human beings do is just as free of sense as the free motion of elementary particles. Good, evil, morality, feelings? Pure 'Victorian fictions'.

INTp

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is is kind of like the Rorschach inkblot test: not very reliable or valid but none the less useful in some situations.
    “No psychologist should pretend to understand what he does not understand... Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand nothing.” -Anton Chekhov

http://kevan.org/johari?name=Bardia0
    http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Bardia0

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I find most helpful is watching videos of people or seeing people in action, and pictures usually convey aspects of this, which is why I look at a lot of pictures.

In videos you can get a sense of how a person interacts and you can even imagine how they'd interact with you - at that point you can start recognizing quadra values, temperament, and start seeing similarities and differences between yourself.

It really helps when you can see a bunch of pictures of people who are your identical so you can create a default vibe.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's more useful than reading some contrived bullshit someone writes about themselves. And especially in person, because then you see the person interacting with their environment, and the natural functional preferences evince themselves. Pictures only reveal so much, as do audio and video, albeit still illustrating legitimate patterns, if you know what to look for.

On the whole, I find it incredibly reliable, and almost always in line with any "behavioral description" a person writes about themselves. As long as you understand the stuff you're supposed to be looking for correctly, the patterns will naturally emerge in surprisingly consistent ways.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all seems to be too subjective and, frankly, absolutely ridiculous that someone could be typed simply by looking at them.

So make me an argument worthy of all the allusions in this post!

I'd really like to know.
    It is subjective, mostly, as far as I can tell. I think some people have tried to tie it to physical characteristics, trying to make it more concrete maybe, but I personally don't try to do that. For me, it is akin to non-verbal communication - receiving the unspoken signals and communiques of the body and face and then translating that into a better understanding of the person.

So, basically, if you can tell that the person talking to you doesn't want to talk anymore, even if they don't say so, you've just done a version of VI.

How's that?

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think VI has its uses, but it's a more advanced technique, so to say. The problem with VI is that photographs are variable, and expressions are variable. There are tendencies, but, it depends much on the nature of the happening, so it can be misleading. Still, some things can be picked out, and I think over years of interacting and observing you can develop more consistent accuracy. I don't consider myself an expert at VI, and I've never met anyone who is particularly "always spot on".

I think some little-spoken-of prerequisites are being able to understand the vibes people give off that are non-verbal (similar to what Minde said). When you start realizing what Fe dominance feels like from someone; when you see how Se+Ti has a certain sharpness to it; and so on, then more recognizable physical traits may appear in photographs (or more so, in the person).

I think "VI" - as in, Video Identification - might be superior to picture ID, but even those can be posed. The best is seeing someone interact irl naturally. VI, video, or anything else - you need to know the person as well as the situation around them, the environment, and what the motivation behind their decisions in that situation is, then you can understand them, and see how behaviors play into physical things.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VI (as it applies to stillframe pictures) is of very limited use. First, it requires a specific type of picture, one that shows the person's "natural expression." Half the time this means that the person should not be aware of being photographed. I imagine mugshots may work as well. However, as soon as the person is aware of being photographed, you cannot draw any conclusions apart from how they want to look. Generally, I see no need for VI as I would not trust a typing based solely on it until there was further confirmation from another source.
    Surtout, pas trop de zèle.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Hmm well, VI may well give an extra piece of information about a person's type, but it's not something I place all that much confidence in anymore...it seems so much more insightful to actually meet a person in order to get possible insights into their type.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by strrrng View Post
    It's more useful than reading some contrived bullshit someone writes about themselves. And especially in person, because then you see the person interacting with their environment, and the natural functional preferences evince themselves. Pictures only reveal so much, as do audio and video, albeit still illustrating legitimate patterns, if you know what to look for.

On the whole, I find it incredibly reliable, and almost always in line with any "behavioral description" a person writes about themselves. As long as you understand the stuff you're supposed to be looking for correctly, the patterns will naturally emerge in surprisingly consistent ways.
    I think you can put people into VI categories and claim the expressions and behaviors of people ESI, and these EII, etc. But you're not really identifying deep thought processes are you? You have a few images or videos of them that might not even be their traditional look or temperament. I for one never look like I do in my photos, extremely aware of the camera, dressed up, living in the moment. I'm just expending behavior that I believe suits a certain situation. All situations differ, I could be doing something completely different the next time I'm out. Who knows? I definitely don't have any photos of my brainwaves handy.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I think you can put people into VI categories and claim the expressions and behaviors of people ESI, and these EII, etc. But you're not really identifying deep thought processes are you? You have a few images or videos of them that might not even be their traditional look or temperament. I for one never look like I do in my photos, extremely aware of the camera, dressed up, living in the moment. I'm just expending behavior that I believe suits a certain situation. All situations differ, I could be doing something completely different the next time I'm out. Who knows? I definitely don't have any photos of my brainwaves handy.
    That's why VI isn't based on things like projecting an image, an emotional state, an outfit within a physical setting, or any other variable bullshit. It's about the nuances that manifest in certain types' looks, demeanors and energies, regardless of how they may (try to) appear in a given situation.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all theoretical.

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    It's all theoretical.
    No, it isn't. And that's why you're misconstruing it here.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying I haven't been in the trenches.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think there might be something to the VI method if one knows what to look for but too often people focus in on the wrong things. I don't see how things such as a large nose or one's body type is type related. That's more of a genetic thing, not a behavioral thing. On the other hand, one's facial expressions and movements could give clues to one's type, especially if there are certain expressions/movements that seem to be favored with that person and one knows the context that leads to the expressions/movements.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Banned
    TIM
    /
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found this helpful tool: Totally Looks Like… Famous People and Celeb Look-A-Likes

Actually, I just ran into it and wanted to slap it on some VI thread somewhere because I felt VI wouldn't be complete without it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a library system where people can find pictures of types or compareison??

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wilma View Post
    is there a library system where people can find pictures of types or compareison??
    SOCIONICS: Functions, Types, Tests
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP